How do you feel about the ARC trainer?

Options
I used it for the first time at settings of 30/20 (incline/resistance) and I was suprised how much it helped my core (as well as burning alot of calories.)

What results/experiences have you had? I dropped 70 in 4.5 months with the traditional elliptical/weight training, but want to diversify a bit.

Replies

• iam_thatdude
    iam_thatdude Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    For the brief time I had a gym membership before I moved, I loved the Arc trainer and mainly used that for ALL my cardio. I had foot surgery in college and it was very low-impact for me.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    i used it for the first time the other day, and I liked it, but I think I still prefer the AMT machine better. I feel like I get a better workout.
  • earlyxer
    earlyxer Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I use it a couple of times a week, for either 60 or 90 minutes each. Hill Interval is good, as is Interval. Cardio and Fat Loss are kinda too easy though......
  • Littlemama76
    Options
    I LOVE the ARC trainer. I used it in the past to tone my core. Over the last year I really let myself go and now I'm working my way back up to using it again!
  • emt11dgreene
    Options
    i found that it helped me boost my cardio endurance better than any of the other cardio machines while also working the core...i personally started on lower settings and every few minutes increased them until i maxed out
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I love the ARC trainer. Had no idea it was training my core... bonus! I used to use the interval setting, but lately have found that I burn a lot more calories just setting the resistance to a comfortable level and going for it.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I use it for 30 minutes on Tuesday incline 5 and resistance 50 and then on Thursday for 45 minutes at same 5/50.

It's a calorie burner!
  • TheJustPull
    Options
    My gym doesn't have an arc trainer but we do have an amt.. I love that, it is a great burn.
  • andy2486
    andy2486 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I love the Arc trainer, it is my favorite machine at my gym. I do at least an hour on it every day that I do cardio topping off at max resistance and incline. I have noticed, in the past 2 months or so focusing on mostly cardio, that my thigh and glute muscles have toned up a lot. It helped me break my last plateau as well. I suggest trying to move the leg pieces "backwards" to get a different type of workout once in a while.
  • katie133
    katie133 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    best cardio machine by far
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I transistioned from the treadmill (can't walk in a straight line) to the Elliptical (doesn't get me in my sweet spot HR wise) to the Arc Trainer and it is a love hate relationship. I set it on Hill Intervals and cuss it out every minute but my rear and legs are stronger, I'm working my core, and if I get stuck with the one that has the moving handles (which makes me cry while cussing) then it is honestly a full body workout. It gets me into my target HR range, it more than keeps me there, and I am sweating within 2 minutes of being on it.

I also have found that it's a little nicer to my knees than the elliptical, but that just may be me.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    the one at my gym doesn't have arms that move...are there different versions? Maybe that's why I don't feel like I get as hard of a workout.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    the one at my gym doesn't have arms that move...are there different versions? Maybe that's why I don't feel like I get as hard of a workout.

I think the machines are the same thing, everything but the moving handles are the same.
  • LittleD311
    LittleD311 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I have a love/ hate relationship with the ARC trainer! When I first used it, it really bothered my hips, but then as i was using it more and more i loved it! i havent been to the gym in months due to do beachbody programs at home, and working, so i need to get back there.......
  • carolinenorthrup
    carolinenorthrup Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    LOVE the arc traininer. Low impact and a full body workout!
  • whs7771
    whs7771 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Love It!!! I mix into my cardio routine. I don't want my body to get use to one type of exercise. Your body wants to be lazy! So you have to confuse it often.
  • alikat42
    alikat42 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I hated it the first few times, now it is my preferred machine for my cross-training days. However, it also drives me nuts. My gym has several ARC trainers, half with the moving arm pieces half without. I would much prefer to use the one with the moving arms. Every day I get to the gym, the armless ones are empty and everyone on the ones I want are holding on to the sides, not using the arm pieces. What the heck?!
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    I loved using the arc trainer so much that as soon as I could afford the home version, I bought it. I have a genetic issue with my knees that make stair climbers/steppers a serious problem for me. However, I feel like I can get that deep stepping motion with the arc trainer with high resistance, and I have no pain.

LOVE it and highly recommend it. Also - I use a BodyMedia CORE armband, and I get super burns with the thing when I do the interval programs on it.
  • iam_thatdude
    iam_thatdude Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    GREAT info, thank you to all.