Egg Allergy. Advice?

Options
aaugustine09
aaugustine09 Posts: 1 Member
I have an egg allergy so much of my baking and cooking is down the drain.
Any advice?

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    stop using eggs.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    stop using eggs.

So helpful.

I have a friend whose daughter has an egg allergy so I'm learning how to bake without eggs. It's not always easy. Here is a guide on how to cook without eggs:

http://www.thecookinginn.com/eggsub.html

It talks about the different substitutes you can use and which you should use for different foods.

There's also a blog called My Diverse Kitchen which has some good eggless cake recipes. I love the eggless strawberry cake.
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    There are tons of egg replacers out there you can use. Google "vegan egg replacers" and you'll find a plethora of substitutes you can use in baking that are egg-free.
  • SamanthaTheSpartan
    Options
    My son also has an egg allergy. Have you tried and egg replacer such as no-egg? they are completely egg free and you can use them in any baked good. They don't work as an egg substitute, (you can't scramble them), but I think they work great for baked good and foods such as meatloaf, meatballs that require egg. It comes as a powder, so it has a longer shelf life, and you add water to the amount you need. Hope this is helpful. - Samantha :)
  • SamanthaTheSpartan
    Options
    Another good brand is Ener-G. You can find these at health food stores, and probably at a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's in most places.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Try an egg-substitute for baking. There are several on the market made specifically for people with egg allergies.
    (Bob's Red Mill Egg Replacer, Ener-G Egg Replacer, PaneRiso)

They work OK in baked goods - but not as a substitute in things like quiche or a plate of eggs and bacon.
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    a teaspoon of flaxseed meal for each egg required works great in baking and I got my flaxseed meal Harris Teeter a local supermarket .. this works well in baking like brownies and and corn muffins and it adds protein . I also have used bananas and apple sauce in cake mixes unless they are gluten free it works better then eggs :-) :flowerforyou:

inbox me if you need more info I am allergic to a bunch of stuff
  • kmpatterson12
    kmpatterson12 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I actually had been allergic to eggs my whole life until about 2 months ago.... here are some of the things i did
    when wanting to just have scrambled eggs or just add eggs to a recipe i use egg beaters then are at the grocery store right next to the eggs....if you want to make a chocolate cake you can add diet coke which cuts the fat and is really good spice cake just add a can of pumpkin I hope this helps if you need any more help feel free to add me : )
  • Sarahbara76
    Options
    a teaspoon of flaxseed meal for each egg required works great in baking and I got my flaxseed meal Harris Teeter a local supermarket .. this works well in baking like brownies and and corn muffins and it adds protein . I also have used bananas and apple sauce in cake mixes unless they are gluten free it works better then eggs :-) :flowerforyou:

inbox me if you need more info I am allergic to a bunch of stuff

I forgot to say each teaspoon of flaxseed meal needs to be soaked in 2 teaspoons of water for 1 min before adding..opps
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    stop using eggs.

Quickest correct reply ever!
  • Sarahbara76
    Options
    I actually had been allergic to eggs my whole life until about 2 months ago.... here are some of the things i did
    when wanting to just have scrambled eggs or just add eggs to a recipe i use egg beaters then are at the grocery store right next to the eggs....if you want to make a chocolate cake you can add diet coke which cuts the fat and is really good spice cake just add a can of pumpkin I hope this helps if you need any more help feel free to add me : )

egg beaters contain eggs..I read the carton after having hives and gas after eating ..the other tips are WONDERFUL tho!! :flowerforyou:
  • Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You may want to invest in some vegan cook books. I only omit beef/pork but will cook vegan fairly often and you won't find eggs in those recipes. After doing that for awhile you might find some ingredients you like that can be applies to other recipes. If not, the internet has tons of recipes as well.
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend some vegan baking cookbooks. Once you get a feel for what replacements seem to work best for what, it's not too hard to bake without eggs. There's a few things it doesn't work for, stuff that's finicky with replacements, but your basic stuff like cookies and muffins and cupcakes and bread and pies and and all that sort of thing should be just fine, and you shouldn't notice the difference. If you don't want to buy cookbooks, there's a ton of vegan blogs out there and a Google search for, say "vegan brownies" should give you tons of hits to get you started! (And on the plus side, without egg, you can eat all the raw batter you want without risk of salmonella — that's a plus if you ask me. Well... not really a plus for anyone's dieting efforts maybe but...)