How many here are writers?

Options
jakobscalpel
jakobscalpel Posts: 6 Member
While out for my lunch-time walk it occurred to me that there are many similarities between writing and MFP. Both require discipline each and every day to succeed. Both activities (losing weight or writing a book) often lead to embarrassment if they are brought up in conversation with people who are not part of the community. Both activities, when you do accomplish your goals, feel about as good as anything can feel. With all these similarities, how many on here are writers? If you are a writer, have you ever self-published? I did and it was an excellent experience but I'd be curious to hear about other people's experiences. If people are interested I'll post the story of how I wrote my book.

Please note that the MFP guidelines expressly prohibit advertising your books or websites. That is not what this thread is about. This thread is about how you accomplished your goals or how you want to accomplish your goals.

Replies

• i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I am working on two novels at the moment. Yet to be completed, but hoping to work on them more when the new semester begins next week. :)
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Oh, me me me!

I'm a parenting author/"expert" and I agree - there are a lot of similarities. I think the biggest is the need for self discipline.

I'm also an English teacher, so if I can ever help in any way please let me know! :)
  • Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I have never been published, but there are so many stories (finished and not, short and long) that I have begun on my computer that it is not even funny. I love to write and definitely wish I had more time for it. And, after reading some of the articles lately, feel like it is definitely something I want to pursue at some point in my life, even if it is just on the side.
  • nessaryan
    nessaryan Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yay! I like this post. I write fiction and have my BA in Creative Writing and Literature. I plan to publish my first collection of short stories once I feel I'm ready. :)
  • McSnoozle
    McSnoozle Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have a first draft of a novel awaiting the dreaded revision process! Am working on some personal narrative / memoir pieces. Have written and edited professionally for 20-plus years, currently marcom (blech).... Writing is bliss and so is the process of transforming my body! Both are amazing journeys. I've lost 20 pounds, and am aiming for 10-15 more by end of summer. I'll know what feels right when I get there!
  • MoreThanMommie
    MoreThanMommie Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I'd call myself a writer but I have had a short story published. It's in print. I think it's pretty cool. It's just a short story that G.A. Hauser published at the end of one of her books.

Also, please excuse my grammar errors, that's why I have a beta-reader. :blushing:
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'm a writer. It's my career and hobby. I'm in the process of publishing a children's novel for charity at the moment, but I'm saving up the funds required to pay my illustrator. It's not costing a lot, but I have no spare money, so it's probably going to be the end of the year before it goes on sale.
  • Brittany1979
    Brittany1979 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I am! I have been debating whether or not to post some of stories on MFP, all of which are somewhat true and are based off of my experiences and things i've dealt with from the past .