Strength training calories

magerum
magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
I currently eat back my cardio calories with great success, but what of Str cals? Does everyone typically eat back their str training calories as well?

-M

Replies

• KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 959 Member
    Yes
  • holthaus30
    holthaus30 Posts: 58 Member
    Its still calories burned so yes most people eat them back
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Yes
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    I don't eat back my calories generally, but when I eat after strength training I make sure to eat a protein dense meal to help aid in muscle recovery. My trainer mentioned that I should make sure to eat at least a snack within 20 minutes of finishing my work out, so if I don't get dinner made, I'll eat a handful of nuts or a protein bar till dinner time comes.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    I eat more on particularly intense lifting days...muscle needs feeding to get nice and strong!
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    I don't eat back my calories generally, but when I eat after strength training I make sure to eat a protein dense meal to help aid in muscle recovery. My trainer mentioned that I should make sure to eat at least a snack within 20 minutes of finishing my work out, so if I don't get dinner made, I'll eat a handful of nuts or a protein bar till dinner time comes.

This is what I do as well. I always have a protein dense snack for right after lifting in the car or in my gym bag. If you have mixed in some cardio with your strength training, ensure you have some quality carbs in there as well.
  • grt2b40
    grt2b40 Posts: 9
    Yes and especially protein. Consume Whey Protein within about 10 minutes of finishing a workout to help rebuild the muscle and keep it from breaking down further. Also throw in my BCAA's with it.
  • This question is asked daily. YES eat back your calories. This is easily done. Pre workout you should be eating something energy loaded carb based so you will have sustainable energy through your workout. Post workout you should have protein and a little carbs.

Too many people say they don't eat it back and they are just setting themselves up for failure. Not feeding your body pre workout will negativley impact how you workout at the gym and the calories you burn. Not eating after will prevent you from gaining lean muscle mass and will delay the overall recovery period.

Too many people try to lose too much weight too fast (short term success for long term failure). Myfitness pal already sets your calories at a defecit so you can reach your goals.

EAT.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    This question is asked daily. YES eat back your calories. This is easily done. Pre workout you should be eating something energy loaded carb based so you will have sustainable energy through your workout. Post workout you should have protein and a little carbs.

Too many people say they don't eat it back and they are just setting themselves up for failure. Not feeding your body pre workout will negativley impact how you workout at the gym and the calories you burn. Not eating after will prevent you from gaining lean muscle mass and will delay the overall recovery period.

Too many people try to lose too much weight too fast (short term success for long term failure). Myfitness pal already sets your calories at a defecit so you can reach your goals.

EAT.

I both agree and disagree. By MFP standards, yes you should eat back your exercise calories. Strength training calories however, are extremely tricky to calculate. You would have to have a heartrate monitor (a QUALITY hrm), and turn it off and on so that it was only measuring during the period during and perhaps shortly after you were actually lifting. Problematic at best. Best to simply add a given amount of protein dense food to your diet that day, and call it good.

As for eating prior to a workout (I'm talking strength training here), I completely disagree this is necessary. If I eat at ALL prior to my workouts (and I mean...at all, within a pretty large window), I actually have LESS energy, less motivation, less drive, less strength, and overall, a less effective workout. When you eat your food is not half as critical as people have been led believe. I do not eat all day as a rule (and don't give me that 'you're ruining your metabolism' crap lol). As a matter of fact, I don't eat from dinner the previous day, on through to mid afternoon or later the following day. That being said, I do set my workout time up so that I can eat a quality meal shortly after...old habits die hard I guess lol.
  • I didn't think I needed to specify time. But you should eat 1.5 to 2 hours prior to workout, also your meal should not be 4 courses. It can be something as simple as a cliff bar and some fruit (300-400 calories).I agree overeating prior to workout will have opposite affect.

Your body will burn calories as you lift and will need fuel. Eating before hand ensures your body is at maximum performance.

Anyone who wants to fight this just go to a gym and observe. Weekly I see people who lack energy to do exercises (just go through the motions) or in extreme situations faint.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    I didn't think I needed to specify time. But you should eat 1.5 to 2 hours prior to workout, also your meal should not be 4 courses. It can be something as simple as a cliff bar and some fruit (300-400 calories).I agree overeating prior to workout will have opposite affect.

Your body will burn calories as you lift and will need fuel. Eating before hand ensures your body is at maximum performance.

Anyone who wants to fight this just go to a gym and observe. Weekly I see people who lack energy to do exercises (just go through the motions) or in extreme situations faint.

Again...I disagree. I don't eat anything at all roughly 20hrs pre workout. IF I do, I suffer all the detriments I mentioned in my previous posts...including lack of energy and motivation (and even in extreme situation including the faintness you mentioned lol). Intermittent fasting is proven, as is my method of fueling my body...do the research for yourself.

Understand also, I'm not saying that eating prior to working out is bad or unhealthy, just that it isn't necessary. The consequences you're mentioning being caused by not eating before a workout, are often just as much mental as physical. Myself and the thousandos of others who work out and diet in a manner similar to the way I do...are just as much proof as your examples otherwise.