Running with asthma

Options
Hey everyone!
I really want to start running but I'm finding that my asthma really holds me back. I've always had asthma and it's always bothered me when I ran, usually resulting in horrible mile times.

I get an attack shortly after I start running and I get so frustrated! I love to run but the asthma just gets in the way.
I do take my inhaler with me and even after I use it, my lungs are still tight and it really slows me down.

Does anyone have any advice or tips to help me push through this? I've heard that running is a good way to increase lung capacity but it's just too hard to run right now.

Thanks!
Nykkie

Replies

• chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Have you checked with your doctor - you really need their help to do it.

My daughter struggles with asthma and she runs track.
  • JJs25th
    JJs25th Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I too have Asthma and exercising can make it flare. My doctor told me to use my inhaler BEFORE I exercise to prevent the flare. It has really helped me. He also told me that this use does not count as "Inhaler Use" when they ask for that during my checkups. Ask your doctor about doing this.
  • NykkieC
    NykkieC Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Have you checked with your doctor - you really need their help to do it.

My daughter struggles with asthma and she runs track.

I think I'm going to end up having to. I'm glad to hear that your daughter is able to run with asthma, it gives me hope!
    Thanks for your help.
  • NykkieC
    Options
    I too have Asthma and exercising can make it flare. My doctor told me to use my inhaler BEFORE I exercise to prevent the flare. It has really helped me. He also told me that this use does not count as "Inhaler Use" when they ask for that during my checkups. Ask your doctor about doing this.

I've tried that and it seems to help a little bit. I have some over the counter Primatene tablets that I think would help a ton, but I'm hesitant to use them right before exercising because the have ephedrine in them.
  • jacmiley
    jacmiley Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I have sports induced asthma as well .. and I'm told to take the inhaler before working out.

I used to do moderate exercising in which my asthma wasn't inflamed - now I do intense workouts and I find myself using inhaler before working out and then sometime in the middle. You just have to work your way up to intensified levels such as running which I've been doing except for the shin splints now.

Basically my point is go slow and build up and your sports induced asthma will get better. That's what doctors have always told me. Plus, the best exercise for asthmatics is swimming. Unfortunately I can't afford a pool membership

What is your medicine to control your asthma? If you are going to the doctors ask about Advair. That is the only medicine that has kept my asthma under control cause I also have nocturnal asthma too. Just recently my doc tried taking me off it and put me on singulair. It didnt' work - I love the Advair and would do commercials for it because I have been a asthma medicine test dummy for over 10 years and thats the one
  • NykkieC
    Options
    I have sports induced asthma as well .. and I'm told to take the inhaler before working out.

I used to do moderate exercising in which my asthma wasn't inflamed - now I do intense workouts and I find myself using inhaler before working out and then sometime in the middle. You just have to work your way up to intensified levels such as running which I've been doing except for the shin splints now.

Basically my point is go slow and build up and your sports induced asthma will get better. That's what doctors have always told me. Plus, the best exercise for asthmatics is swimming. Unfortunately I can't afford a pool membership

What is your medicine to control your asthma? If you are going to the doctors ask about Advair. That is the only medicine that has kept my asthma under control cause I also have nocturnal asthma too. Just recently my doc tried taking me off it and put me on singulair. It didnt' work - I love the Advair and would do commercials for it because I have been a asthma medicine test dummy for over 10 years and thats the one
    Oh, my dad uses that! My allergies trigger my asthma as well so I get attacks outside of working out like you too.
    We have insurance but may I ask - is it outrageously expensive?
  • jolinemariem
    jolinemariem Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    i have asthma too maybe you can talk to your doctor about getting a different inhaler. one that actually works. and maybe you should keep running as much as you can before you get the attack but stop as soon as you feel your out of breath that way your still getting it in and your trying maybe after a while youll be able to go longer and longer how long have you been trying to run for
  • aprilann
    aprilann Posts: 238
    Options
    Hey everyone!
    I really want to start running but I'm finding that my asthma really holds me back. I've always had asthma and it's always bothered me when I ran, usually resulting in horrible mile times.

I get an attack shortly after I start running and I get so frustrated! I love to run but the asthma just gets in the way.
    I do take my inhaler with me and even after I use it, my lungs are still tight and it really slows me down.

Does anyone have any advice or tips to help me push through this? I've heard that running is a good way to increase lung capacity but it's just too hard to run right now.

Thanks!
    Nykkie
    Nebulizer and advair seem to help my son. He does both twice a day and he's fine.
  • zippy111
    zippy111 Posts: 2,241 Member
    Options
    I have Asthma as well. My doctor says to take the advair 1/2 hour BEFORE you run. Inhaler right before you run. I run anywhere from 15-20 miles a week. Some times it is worse than others but managable. Keep up the running.
  • enjoylisu
    Options
    Hi. I hope you are having a great day!
    My mother has suffer from asthma for 26 years. For the first 9 years of my life I only saw her occassionally, because she was always hospitalized. A doctor told her to put the "PASPAT" injections. The doctor said he hated doctors that wanted your money instead of your health. You put like a total of 10 shots, 1 every 4 days ( for adults), and another 5 shots, 1 shot every 4 days six months later. After that you put a total of 10 shots once a year. This builts your system. You might not see immediate change because the shots helps your system build so if it's to damage it takes longer. My mom has never been to the hospital due to asthma since she started putting the shots. She gets them in Mexico. They are not prescibed and can be applied to children as young as 1 year. If they don't help they cant harm you either. She rarely uses her inhaler anymore and she can run, be around a dog... well, she enjoys way more things that she couldn't do before. I posted a link on a study that was conducted. and some info you might have to find someone that can translate for you. The only thing is when they put the shot they have to create a bubble kind of like when they put the tb shot.. Do contact a doctor and ask about this.

http://ci.nii.ac.jp/naid/110002414703/en

I found all the info in spanish, but I could not find anything in english.

http://www.libreriamedica8a.com/productos/388.htm

I hope this will help.
  • watermelon854
    Options
    I am in a profession where running is part of the job and I have asthma. Although I find it difficult most days, I know that one way to control asthma is to be able to control your breathing, not just through medication.

I recommend taking up yoga as part of your regular routine. It helps you to really pay attention to your breathing and gives you an extra advantage over your condition. Still take your medication as it is prescribed but try this 'outside of the box' exercise. You will find it will help your breathing, as well as other benefits.

Cheers!

:flowerforyou:
  • jacmiley
    Options
    I have Asthma as well. My doctor says to take the advair 1/2 hour BEFORE you run. Inhaler right before you run. I run anywhere from 15-20 miles a week. Some times it is worse than others but managable. Keep up the running.

You take advair before you run not aburterol?
    Advair is a strong drug and steriod. I've never heard that advice before. I take advair in the morning and before bed.
  • jacmiley
    Options
    I am in a profession where running is part of the job and I have asthma. Although I find it difficult most days, I know that one way to control asthma is to be able to control your breathing, not just through medication.

I recommend taking up yoga as part of your regular routine. It helps you to really pay attention to your breathing and gives you an extra advantage over your condition. Still take your medication as it is prescribed but try this 'outside of the box' exercise. You will find it will help your breathing, as well as other benefits.

Cheers!

what is your job? I wouldn't want it :laugh:
  • jacmiley
    Options
    Advair has different levels

500/50 - with my health insurance was about $50

250/50 - around $35

150/50 - proud to say I weaned down to this one and I'm still paying $30 for it though.

Your asthma has to be really bad to be the top one.
    Most likely it will be 250 or 150.
    As for insurance, mine is pretty decent. I'm one of those spoiled teachers with an union that will take over the nation one day (not a fan of the union). Then again, I've seen better with better insurances and co-pays.
  • watermelon854
    Options

Cheers!

what is your job? I wouldn't want it :laugh:

Haha...I am in the military...running well is sort of a prerequisite. Actually, I found the most dreaded part of basic training was running at 5 am most mornings for almost 8 kms or more...weight, I can handle, the discipline I can take but running...oh man...it makes me sweat because I'm not shaped like those 6 foot 5' marathon runners in my platoon!

I take symbicort...anyone else take that? I find it hard on my system but if I take it late at night, its easier on my system.