Help? At home toning/ strength training

Options
Hey! I finally dropped 9lbs since my highest weight from the end of February. This is a huge achievement for me as I have never been able to lose weight!

260312side.jpg

Now that I have started slimming I want to start increasing my muscle mass and tone up , but want to do this at home. Are there any suggestions as to how this can be done? I can't afford a gym, so would like it to be as cheap as possible :)

Replies

• yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    JIllian Michaels DVDs and a couple sets of dumbbells.

And http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/771-women-strength-training
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    How much money and space do you have to work with? Even a set of good dumbbells aren't exactly cheap (my U90 power blocks cost about $600 new, but that gives me a pair of adjustable dumbbells that go up to 90lbs each). You can probably save a fair bit of money by finding your equipment on ebay / etc, if it's in good enough shape.
  • bluemorpho1247
    bluemorpho1247 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I dont have a limit as such, but not too high!
    I have the Jillian micheals 30 day shred and the boost metabolism one, spose i should really get on with it!

My room is fairly sizey, but can use my garden too. Is skipping good for toning?
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I picked my home equipment with space savings in mind, and I live in Canada, where things tend to be more expensive on average than in the US. You may be able to spend less money than I did.

For weights, I chose PowerBlocks, because they have a decent maximum weight (180 pounds for the pair on the set I bought), and take up almost no space at all. Some people don't like their shape, but they are very convenient and fast to switch the weight. There are other adjustable dumbbell sets out there that are shaped more like a normal dumbbell (IronMaster is the name of one of them, I think), but tend to take longer to switch weight, which may be a problem depending on what kind of workout you want to do. Anyhow, my pair of 90lb PowerBlocks cost me $600 total (spread out in two purchases; $350 for the "Stage 1" kit which went up to 50lbs each, and another $250 for the "Stage 2" kit to get the extra plates that take them up to 90).

Other than that, the only thing I bought is a good burst-resistant Swiss ball. I use it as my "bench" for doing presses, and to do core exercises. I got the ball online for about $70.
  • Crystile
    Crystile Posts: 1
    Options
    I have a couple sets of dumbells and I have the P90X program that I do every morning (taking Sundays off of course) but another option are resistance bands which are fairly cheap (you can get one for about $20). These are great options for starting off with. Also, a pull up bar is a great idea. The one that you put in your doorway.

A lot of my strength training I just do push ups, pull ups, plank, etc... For cardio, running in place, jumping jacks, etc are great for burning calories. Plus, it's all free! I have lost about 17 pounds and am in just about the best shape of my life. I even get comments on my "guns" when I wear tank tops.

Just hard work and persistence will do the trick. Along with snacking every 2-3 hours you should be golden. :)

Hope this helps some.
  • MrsBannister
    Options
    I also recommend DVDs by Cathe Friedrich. She's not as "in your face" as Jillian but is still very tough and effective. Some of her best weight lifting DVDs, imo, are Muscle Max and High Reps. All you need are dumbbells. Or to be even less expensive, you could get a book on Pilates from your library and learn those exercises - Pilates generally doesn't need any equipment at all.

I'm sure Collage Video has been mentioned on this site numerous times - that's a great website for finding exactly whatever type of DVD you're looking for.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Jaloth
    Jaloth Posts: 28
    Options
    Try the Wii fitness!! That is what I have been using and it has worked!!! It is a slow progress but it works!!!!! I want to try the Zumba fitness also but have to save up for it!!!
  • nikkijoshua
    nikkijoshua Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I also recommend DVDs by Cathe Friedrich. She's not as "in your face" as Jillian but is still very tough and effective. Some of her best weight lifting DVDs, imo, are Muscle Max and High Reps. All you need are dumbbells. Or to be even less expensive, you could get a book on Pilates from your library and learn those exercises - Pilates generally doesn't need any equipment at all.

I'm sure Collage Video has been mentioned on this site numerous times - that's a great website for finding exactly whatever type of DVD you're looking for.

I agree. Cathe Friedrich is awsome. Her weight lifting workouts are among the best in the industry.
  • CMcBryer
    CMcBryer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Power 90 is a great program from Beach Body that incorporates circuit training for muscle building. If you don't want to spend any money at all, then push-ups, crunches, and pull-ups/chins are excellent ways of building muscle and becoming very strong. Widening and shortening your hand position will incorporate different muscles for push-ups and the same can be said for pull-ups and chins.
  • LishaCole
    LishaCole Posts: 245
    Options
    I live in a teeny tiny basement suite so I use the xbox kinetic game "your shape: fitness evolved 2012" with a couple of dumbbells and a "tower 200" and they both kick my butt. hard.
  • SweetProgression
    SweetProgression Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    bells, bands, bar, balls, that's about it
  • 0651matt
    0651matt Posts: 6
    Options
    If you don't want to spend any money you can try the following:

running / jogging - great way to build your core and you lower body muscles
    planks - great for your core
    push ups - great for chest, back and core
    squats - great for legs and lower back
    burpees - Great all around workout (combines pushups, squats, and jumps)
    sun gods (what I call them, which are making small circles with your arms in front of you, above you, and to your sides) - great for shoulder muscles...

These are all things that you can do that are great that do not cost a dime.
  • LishaCole
    LishaCole Posts: 245
    Options
    Also, I am not sure if you have a game console, but I really like the "your fitness" game as it shows you on the screen and provides feedback. So I can see myself doing the exercises while watching the virtual personal trainer. This is good because I often find that I am doing something incorrectly, like I need to be lower or higher or whatever. Without the feed back I would think I was doing it just fine.
  • lisakate20
    lisakate20 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    hey there! congrats on your weight loss! for weights and strength training at home i really love Jari Love's Ripped series. basic weightlifting, no fancy schmancy and it goes by fast. granted, the studio and some factors are cheesey, but it works! i also like anything by Jackie Warner. her methods are very similar to Jillian Michaels (they used to work together at a studio, or did they own a studio together? something like that. but they train the same.) but she is much less in your face....a kinder, gentler Jillian ;) and again effective. you can check out preview clips of them at collagevideo.com AND you can return them if you don't like them! good luck!
  • bluemorpho1247
    bluemorpho1247 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    This is all so helpful! thanks so much. Ill start with the using my own body weight- the push ups etc, and then when i get hold of some money, or get given some stuff (gonna ask around fam, friends) ill progress :)

Im quite excited about this now, all of theses suggestions are amazing.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Craigslist is god when it comes to finding exercise equipment for cheaper.
  • T2trinco
    T2trinco Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I just bought a resistance band with handles and a door mount for $17. Nice because as I progress I'll be able to switch them out on the cheap!
  • T2trinco
    T2trinco Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Did I mention I really want to get my arms/shoulders toned for summer?? lol...tank top motivation...