Belly Dancing

Options
Hello I was looking to do some belly dancing for a workout but didn't know where to start. Anyone know any good videos that will really help me out? I have never done it in my life so I may need a very beginner video! If any one else is interested in it maybe we could track our progress together and what not! :)

Replies

• LoveAngie23
    Options
    Hi! I don't know if you are still interested in belly dancing or if you have already started but i am a brand new beginner (just did my first 60 mins today). I have been doing Arabic Belly Dance Basic Moves Parts 1-4 on youtube. If you are interested I can recommend a couple more I tried today!
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Hello I was looking to do some belly dancing for a workout but didn't know where to start. Anyone know any good videos that will really help me out? I have never done it in my life so I may need a very beginner video! If any one else is interested in it maybe we could track our progress together and what not! :)

I used to do the DVD's that Veena and Neena made.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I have veena and Neena, Rania, a couple of tribal fusion workouts (2 with Rachel Bryce, who I swear has no bones in her arms). My instructor can't stand V&N nor Rania, but is a huge fan of anything bellydance superstars.

Look on Amazon, they have TONS of belly dance workout DVDs. Search on fundamentals or beginners belly dance.

I'm a HUGE belly dance fan. Can't get enough. I practice daily, and take a class once a week, looking to take a second, more advanced class.
  • ThisisMiss
    ThisisMiss Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I had a huge collection of videoa from veena and neena and raina too. I loved them! If only I could get them back..
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I have the Neena and Veena ones.. They are pretty niice.

Rachel Brices Isolation DVD is the one thats currently on my wishlist. Let me see..... The exact name is:

"Serpentine - Belly Dance With Rachel Brice DVD" If you go to youtube and type that right in.... It will bring up a mini-video about the DVD. It sounds really really good.

I'm in this one on youtube "Male Belly Dancing Wesley Gomes" I'm the girl with the blonde hair and blue skirt & burgundy top, kinda dancing behind him... That was a few years ago thou... With Cory Zamoras Troupe

I started in 1999 I took modern egyptian and then arabic, then fire classes with props and now, I may take the tribal stuff like you would see with the Rachel Brice DVD

Good Luck... And Have Alot OF Fun.. Because its really fun. :wink:
  • LoveAngie23
    Options
    I have veena and Neena, Rania, a couple of tribal fusion workouts (2 with Rachel Bryce, who I swear has no bones in her arms). My instructor can't stand V&N nor Rania, but is a huge fan of anything bellydance superstars.

Look on Amazon, they have TONS of belly dance workout DVDs. Search on fundamentals or beginners belly dance.

I'm a HUGE belly dance fan. Can't get enough. I practice daily, and take a class once a week, looking to take a second, more advanced class.

any particular reason your instructor doesn't like v&n? I find their workouts helpful and explanatory as a beginner. What do you recommend the most for a beginner?
  • hwlnmd
    Options
    I've been belly dancing for eight years and I absolutely LOVE IT!. Personally, I don't think anything beats a live class with a great instructor, but there are a lot of good videos out there theses days.

I'm including the top three I usually recommend/loan to beginners. Numbers 2 & 3 are specific recommendations for belly dance fitness type videos. Let me know if you'd like more titles/names of belly dancers.

1. Veena and Neena's "Discover Belly Dance" series specifically for absolute beginners or anyone who hasn't worked out in a long while. I started with this series in 2004 because I was severly out of shape and had gained like 50lbs. These were the only videos that I could keep up with. They also help you learn some of the really basic moves and I thought they were easy to follow.

2. Oreet's "Sharqui - the Belly Dance Workout" is great for someone who has worked out for a bit.

3. If you REALLY want a work out, then I'd recommend Suhalia Salimpours "Fitness Fusion" series - all of them. Later on if you want to work on developing really good belly dance form and technique Suhalia teaches on-line. Rachel Brice studied under her for awhile.

NOTE: If you liked Rache Brice's DVDs Sharon Kihara has one out - you can rent it from Netflix.

You can find all of these on Amazon.
    Netflix also offers a lot of Belly Dance DVDs, that way you can try before you buy and don't end up with a bunch of dud DVDs like I did in the beginning.

Shimmy on,
    Jen
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I have Neena and Veena's FItness for Begginers videos and they are great. I borrowed them from the library first before I bought them.
  • thegreengoth
    thegreengoth Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've been bellydancing for a few years now, and I'd also recommend looking into dropping in on a local class, if you're interested. Not only does it give you better form, but your fellow classmates can be amazing supporters and are often on the road to a healthy lifestyle as well :)
    And please, to anyone who has considered belly dancing, don't feel self-conscious about your body-type when you start off on that, you'll see results along the way
  • giddyred
    giddyred Posts: 23
    Options
    Hi! I don't know if you are still interested in belly dancing or if you have already started but i am a brand new beginner (just did my first 60 mins today). I have been doing Arabic Belly Dance Basic Moves Parts 1-4 on youtube. If you are interested I can recommend a couple more I tried today!

I've been doing the instructional videos on youtube for a few months. I absolutely love to belly dance. I am thinking of buying one of Sadie's videos and/or taking a local class.
  • ady8e80
    ady8e80 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I did my first session of "Belly Dance for Beginners" with Leila today. Got it on Amazon. Love it! I like it because it's relaxing like yoga. I feel so energized.