Sweet Potato meals ?

Options
graelwyn
graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
Only ever tried sweet potato once before, but have bought some in as an alternative to normal potatoes.
Is there a thread anywhere with meal ideas, or can someone give me ideas on how to make interesting dinners out of them, for someone who eats fish but no meat ?

Replies

• whtlatina1214
    whtlatina1214 Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    idk tryna figure out same thing i got them cus they were on sale lol
  • VioletBeauregarde
    Options
    I had some wedged and roasted tonight with butternut squash ,onion,carrot,asparagus,was lovely .or another fave is to mash it and top it with jerk chicken and a little natural yogurt .
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    If you like breakfast for dinner (or brinner) then you can make some sweet potato hash! Shred the sweet potatoes and fry them up in some coconut oil. Top with a fried egg!

Mashed sweet potatoes are good too. Just make them like you would regular mashed potatoes. I like to mix in garlic and spinach.

Here is a good recipe:http://ohsheglows.com/2010/11/11/garlic-pumpkin-mashed-potatoes-with-spinach/
    Substitute regular potatoes with sweet. Oh, and I think I used regular milk 'cause I'm allergic to almonds :)
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatos can be used a lot of places that reg potatos are.

My favorite way to eat them is bake them and smother them with some kind of dairy- goat cheese and cottage cheese are both yummy. You can even add black beans for even more protein.

Also good cut into wedges and drizzled with olive oil and baked.

Or make cayenne-pepper laced sweet potato fries.

(I have a sweet potato addiction..)
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, that has given me some ideas to start with, I love cottage cheese and eggs so yup.
    I suppose I could try mashing in some tofu with them, and add some green vegetables on the side too.
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Baked like you would russet potatoes
    Slice into fries (sting cut, thin slices, wedges, etc.) and bake with a little cooking spray, sea salt and your choice of seasonings if you so choose. I've found they are best done at about 250 degrees for 30 minutes
    Mashed - done just like russet potatoes and then again, your choice of seasonings
  • ctkennedy
    ctkennedy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    black bean and sweet potato burritos
  • krissypea79
    krissypea79 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
  • chicky89
    chicky89 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    1 cup pureed cooked sweet potato
    4 eggs
    cinnamon
    vanilla.

Blend. Cook like pancakes.. mmmmm!
  • kmcgaw
    kmcgaw Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I roast them with asparagus, onions, and grape tomatoes. They are so good. I added some beef from a roast and had it for lunch today. The roasted tomatoes give it enough moisture that it's almost like a sweet stew. I could give up white potatoes for sweet potatoes and yams. So much more flavour!
  • naprestsleep
    naprestsleep Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Baked/roasted you can come close to sweet potato fries(which around here are popular but fried)
    Cut into discs and grilled are good.

Either way try some honey on them, its a regional thing(along with butter, which I omit) but I like it.
  • ChristinaOlliver
    ChristinaOlliver Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato mash is AWESOME! So much better than normal mash. If I'm feeling naughty then I might add a little honey to it too :)
  • tjsusong
    tjsusong Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I mash them with a little brown sugar, cinnamon and cloves! Yummy:)
  • glennam1
    glennam1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    BUMP....thanks for ideas and the recipe page.....Looks Yummy
  • lozfisher
    lozfisher Posts: 36
    Options
    I had jacket sweet potato for my tea tonight! With spinach and tuna and sweetcorn mayo. It was yummy!
  • nursestewart
    nursestewart Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I love baked sweet potato fries... YUM!
  • DisneySkaGirl
    Options
    1 cup pureed cooked sweet potato
    4 eggs
    cinnamon
    vanilla.

Blend. Cook like pancakes.. mmmmm!

Any idea if this would work for waffles? I prefer the crispness of waffles over pancakes.
  • kimberlilynn
    kimberlilynn Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Cut them into sticks, toss with some cumin, salt and pepper with some olive oil and bake them for about 30 mins. Yum!
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I just bake them in aluminum foil and let them get really soft. They're delicious.

Or cut them into cubes and drizzle a little olive oil and bake/roast them in the oven until they're a bit crispy. Skin on or off, it's okay either way. Or make regular fries out of them.

For nights I still want to eat them but feel a bit lazy, I buy premade sweet potato fries (frozen). Alexia makes good ones, and last night we had Spicy Sweet Potato Julienne Fries with Chipotle Seasoning. I also buy plain, too.

I had them with salmon and corn. For 30 fries, the package said it was 130 calories. My daughter had chicken soup because she wasn't feeling very good, but she was tempted by the fries and said they were good.