What's the healthiest way(s) to fend off a sweet tooth!

Options
I wish that I could say that I am a healthy eater, that would be close to true if I didn't have such a STRONG craving for sweets!!!! This week I have been doing extremely well with just will power, but most of the time I lose focus and go overboard. When I get hungry the first thing I think about is something sweet...I wish every donut, cake, pie, etc. would give me an electric shock when I touch them in the grocery store.

Does anyone know of any methods (herbal, home remedy, medical etc.) to keep the body from craving sugar?

Replies

• tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I try to drink a hot cup a tea with honey in it when i crave sweets.. the time you sit there and blow on the tea and then able to drink it the cravings are gone... the sweetness of the honey is enough for me to stop thinking about candy, chocolate, etc. you might wanna try Tea!!! :drinker:
  • Edjsmom
    Edjsmom Posts: 22
    Options
    Thanks for the idea! I think I have some kind of chemical imbalance?!?!?!
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    My Dr suggested liquid chromium drops and it really does help!!! Plus I think my severe cravings came from hormonal changings! 50 and all the crud with menopause YUK!!!! Actually my cravings are controllable now they were'nt 2 months ago. Good luck
  • Edjsmom
    Edjsmom Posts: 22
    Options
    Vhuber ~ Thanks for your help. Are the chromium drops something that needs to be prescribed or can you get them over the counter. Do you know if that is similiar or related to chromium picolinate?
  • MattySparky
    Options
    everytime you think about sweets, punch yourself in the face as hard as you can. Pretty soon you will start to think about other things.
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    I do not think it is like a prescription, I think a health food store would carry this liquid. My small bottle says Super Chrom Plex each drop contains 1000 mcg Chromium complexed with niacin. I was told to take 5 drops in a glass a water a day for the first month, so far I haven't taken any for about 3 weeks and my cravings have been quite manageable.
    vhuber
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    My best defense is to eat well........... then my cravings go way down.

Eat protein in the morning; eggs, brown rice & veggies is my usual.
    I think it helps balance the blood sugar or something.

If I eat a scone or something sweet first thing in the a.m..........
    Badda Bing Badda Boom! Those cravings show up. :explode: :laugh:
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    everytime you think about sweets, punch yourself in the face as hard as you can. Pretty soon you will start to think about other things.

I am seriously laughing out loud right now. Bahhhahahaah love this advice! I'll employ it next time I want a cheeseburger...uh oh just saw one on tv :bigsmile:
  • kankan213
    kankan213 Posts: 105
    Options
    fat free kettle corn. or sugar free popsicles.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,997 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    It takes practice and time. The longer you don't eat sweets (including anything with artificial sweeteners) the less likely you are to want them. eating really healthy food helps, too. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: