Possibly a stupid question... low sugared fruit

Options
Hello all

Has anyone got any examples of low sugar fruits and veg? As I am trying to eat lots at the moment and my food diary sugar column is really high. Not sure if that is dangerous long term?

Thanks

xx

Replies

• Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Err I thought strawberries were lower.

Blueberries, blackberries, raspberries are lower in sugar.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/whatfruit.htm
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Berries, in general.

Is there a [medical] reason why you are watching sugar, specifically?
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I had to completely cut out bananas.

Berries are usually lower sugar, tropical fruits are higher (bananas, mango, pineapple).
  • tania2287
    tania2287 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I only watch the bad sugar not the good sugar that is in fruit..So l really don't care if l go over in the sugar because it is good sugar..
  • alliover
    alliover Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Berries are generally lower in sugar than other fruits. I don't keep track of sugars in my diet because almost all of my sugar comes from natural sources. I'm more concerned about the carb content and grapes, apples and bananas are very high in carbs!!
  • alliover
    alliover Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Oh.... and there's no such thing as a stupid question :)
  • amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I don't know one person who has gotten fat from eating fruit.
  • snewsome7
    snewsome7 Posts: 189
    Options
    My nutritionist said stay away from bananas and grapes, but nothing about strawberries.

Ones she suggested:
    grapefruit
    apple
    orange
    kiwi
    pear
    melon
    strawberries
    peach
    blueberries, rasberries and blackberries
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Berries are lower
    Grapes are higher
    Bananas are higher still.

All are still great foods with important health benefits. If sugar is an issue just be mindful of quantities.
  • ka3343
    ka3343 Posts: 45
    Options
    I have been eating alot of it though, as I am trying to cut out picking bad food, so gone onto eating a ridiculous amount of fruit....................
    Thanks everyone x
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should be overly concerned about the sugars in fruit unless you are diabetic or are doing low carb. If you feel you are eating too much fruit try veggies. Even sweeter veggies like carrots aren't that full of sugar.

I'm diabetic and have been really watching my carbs. I have to say that I have never really like celery. I have always eaten a lot of veggies but not celery. I didn't mind a little in some soup or something but that was never the thing I would eat on a veggie tray. Since I have to watch my carrot intake now I have learned to appreciate celery. I eat it with hummus or peanut butter or dip made with Greek yogurt. I figure if I can learn to like celery then most anyone can.
  • ka3343
    Options
    I don't think you should be overly concerned about the sugars in fruit unless you are diabetic or are doing low carb. If you feel you are eating too much fruit try veggies. Even sweeter veggies like carrots aren't that full of sugar.

I'm diabetic and have been really watching my carbs. I have to say that I have never really like celery. I have always eaten a lot of veggies but not celery. I didn't mind a little in some soup or something but that was never the thing I would eat on a veggie tray. Since I have to watch my carrot intake now I have learned to appreciate celery. I eat it with hummus or peanut butter or dip made with Greek yogurt. I figure if I can learn to like celery then most anyone can.

Hello, thanks for responding
    I am trying to eat a low carb diet to my thyroid
    My work friend has quite bad diabetes, I have noticed she has eaten alot of carrots recently..... I like celery, but have weirdly gone off it as I have got older. xx
  • ka3343
    Options
    Berries, in general.

Is there a [medical] reason why you are watching sugar, specifically?

Nah, I am just worried I am having too much?
  • ka3343
    Options
    Berries are lower
    Grapes are higher
    Bananas are higher still.

All are still great foods with important health benefits. If sugar is an issue just be mindful of quantities.

Thanks, no issue with the banana, can't stand them lol x
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean - I used to make smoothies with fresh fruit and yoghurt and I'd have squeezed fruit juices; healthy in theory but in fact surprisingly high in calories. Don't know what the right answer is but I've concentrated on upping veggies and now only have a few strawberries or grapes once in a while. I'll reintroduce fruit once a get to a maintenance stage
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but I think cutting bananas out of anyone's diet because of sugar is just silly. Bananas and all other fruits are great as long as they fit into your daily calorie target.
  • Sweetchaos66
    Sweetchaos66 Posts: 59 Member
    Options

Hello, thanks for responding
    I am trying to eat a low carb diet to my thyroid
    My work friend has quite bad diabetes, I have noticed she has eaten alot of carrots recently..... I like celery, but have weirdly gone off it as I have got older. xx

*** I went on a "carrot diet" it was actually weight watchers long ago and carrots were a free food. I ate at least a pound a carrots a day and my skin turned orange. It was so ugly and strange.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Hello all

Has anyone got any examples of low sugar fruits and veg? As I am trying to eat lots at the moment and my food diary sugar column is really high. Not sure if that is dangerous long term?

Thanks

xx

I removed the sugar column from my page because I was always "over" and I do not eat sugar. Only fruit. Either up it, or delete it if you know you're not consuming B.S. sugar calories.
  • MasterZeddicus
    MasterZeddicus Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist said stay away from bananas and grapes, but nothing about strawberries.

Ones she suggested:
    grapefruit
    apple
    orange
    kiwi
    pear
    melon
    strawberries
    peach
    blueberries, rasberries and blackberries

For the record nutritionist is not a protected term, anyone here can call themselves a nutritionist. If I were you I would speak with a dietician. Anybody telling you to cut out fruits because of sugars doesn't understand anything, and is just looking at sugar content and thinking sugar is sugar. Sugar in fruits is not the same thing at all compared to eating processed sugars, nothing unhealthy about it.