Time magazine article

Options
Has anyone read the new Time magazine article about exercise and weight loss? What are your thoughts? Personally, I can not lose weight if I don't exercise but this article says that diet is more important.

Replies

• strawberry25shortcake
    Options
    I have not read it yet...do you have a link to it?
  • agarlits
    agarlits Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I've not read the article, but I've struggled with weight most of my life. I've always read/been told that exercise alone will still be effective whereas diet alone is not. Personally I cant see where limiting your caloric intake and not exercising could be good for you at all. The only weight you would lose would be muscle mass.
  • 135gratitude
    Options
    I did see it, and it was on CNN at the gym, and started a serious dicussion amoung us treadmill runners....

While physiologically this may be true (exercise increases metabloism and hunger) the whole point of MFP is to help keep our hunger and cravings in check, and use small portions to eat limited calories throughout the day.

WE can CONTROL what we eat - and even if we feel ravenous after a workout, it doesn't mean we are going to over indulge!

What did you think of it?
    :flowerforyou:

Btw... there are A LOT of people at the gym who workout 4-5 times a week, and never lose weight - do you know what I mean? I think that working out, without controlling calories, will not yield weight loss. I think we all agree on that.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    80% nutrition + 20% exercise = Weight Loss
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Exercise may not help weight loss as much, but it helps getting toned, increasing stamina, heart lung capacity and many other things that are good for us. It's also fun. The person in the article seemed to be looking upon it as punishment - that's not for me. Yes, it takes a bit of discipline to get up and out and do it, but I'm not training to be a paramilitary; no drill sergeants needed! :laugh:

As for eating junk after a workout because you've worn out your "self-control muscle", oh please. :huh: It sounds like a lack of education about healthy eating more than a lack of self-control. Hopefully the article will spur people into learning more about nutrition rather than turning them off exercise.
  • butterfly25
    butterfly25 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i feel like i dont lose anything if i dont workout and beside it makes me feel good about myself when i do..:bigsmile:
  • nobleps
    nobleps Posts: 95
    Options
    The calories most definitely are the major control of weight gain and loss. exercise is good for the brain, attitude heart muscles, and is what tones your body and muscles. I also see it as part of the lifestyle change cause the sedentary lifestyle sets you up to start back into mindless old food habits.
    Working out or just walking clears the mind and is good for theemotional staus...helps with stress and depression by getting your body to release the right hormones.:drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :smooched:
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    they were talking about this on the Today show but I'd like to read the article.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I cannot even begin to write sufficient words to point out the flaws in this article.

Holy crap.

It's a mishmish of selectively cited studies, improperly interpreted studies, incorrect assumptions, personal prejudices, groupthink, and use of selective anecdotal evidence as "proof". (Not to mention a good dose of tin-foil nonsense, as in the theory that fast-food restaurants build playgrounds to stimulate appetite--like that would make a difference in a 5 yr old).

This article reflects a common trend in media--push a contrarian viewpoint because it will attract more attention (see, it's working--we are talking about it!).

The fundamental flaw is that the story takes an incorrect assumption (exercise by itself is all that is necessary to lose weight) elevates that to the "accepted" normative belief, then proceeds to trash the entire role of exercise in response. It's the classic "strawman" argument.

As I said, the author selectively cites a couple of studies and then improperly generalizes their results. He also ignores other longstanding research that contradicts his core thesis, and is not consistent in the types of exercise plans he cites as "ineffective".

This is a classic case of using little bits of "truth" (since much of what he cites is technically "fact") to create a misleading picture.

A proper article could have responsibly made the case that the benefits of exercise vs weight loss are often oversimplified and overstated by "common wisdom" and an irresponsible industry, and then outlined the research that shows the proper use of exercise (and the importance of calorie control) in a weight loss program. It can be done. Quite frankly, the research cited both in this article and the MSNBC article (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30826120/) is not especially revelatory to anyone who is educated and who seriously follows the literature.
  • 135gratitude
    Options
    I cannot even begin to write sufficient words to point out the flaws in this article.

Holy crap.

It's a mishmish of selectively cited studies, improperly interpreted studies, incorrect assumptions, personal prejudices, groupthink, and use of selective anecdotal evidence as "proof". (Not to mention a good dose of tin-foil nonsense, as in the theory that fast-food restaurants build playgrounds to stimulate appetite--like that would make a difference in a 5 yr old).

This article reflects a common trend in media--push a contrarian viewpoint because it will attract more attention (see, it's working--we are talking about it!).

The fundamental flaw is that the story takes an incorrect assumption (exercise by itself is all that is necessary to lose weight) elevates that to the "accepted" normative belief, then proceeds to trash the entire role of exercise in response. It's the classic "strawman" argument.

As I said, the author selectively cites a couple of studies and then improperly generalizes their results. He also ignores other longstanding research that contradicts his core thesis, and is not consistent in the types of exercise plans he cites as "ineffective".

This is a classic case of using little bits of "truth" (since much of what he cites is technically "fact") to create a misleading picture.

A proper article could have responsibly made the case that the benefits of exercise vs weight loss are often oversimplified and overstated by "common wisdom" and an irresponsible industry, and then outlined the research that shows the proper use of exercise (and the importance of calorie control) in a weight loss program. It can be done. Quite frankly, the research cited both in this article and the MSNBC article (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30826120/) is not especially revelatory to anyone who is educated and who seriously follows the literature.

We had a similar discussion at the gym - it was especially disappointing that CNN reported this, with no questioning of the article author - they just let him give his "opinion".

But the BEST part was that on the next tv screen, there were reports of a "new study" that said 30 minutes of exercise is not enough, and that you need 60 minutes for health benefit - the next news story seriously contraticted the first one - it was hilarious!

For me, a review of all the information, then a synthesis, is the best way to move forward.
    :flowerforyou:
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    Here is the link from Yahoo. There is another thread here I was discussing on yesterday if anyone is interested. just titled "Have you read this article?"

I agree with all here it is a worthless piece of journalism, really too bad, may give some people who are trying to change their habits just the excuse they need to stop. Exercise must be combined with a healthy diet to reap the rewards. Good for all of us for seeing that.
  • cc_campbell81
    Options
    I didn't read the article but saw the story on tv (while working out at the gym:>) The author was saying he is a gym rat and his point was that often people eat more because they went to the gym. Like "oh I worked out today so i can eat this chocolate cake" I think that is partly true. Even I have found myself saying that. He also said that exercise is important for your body but not as important as what you eat.

191371.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Diet Plans
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I made some pretty strong comments against the article because I think that the author was misleading by not including all aspects of the issue.

However, the items he does cite are not untrue--I just think he misinterprets a lot of it. I think it is important for exercise adherents not to fall into the trap of uncritically accepting every positive statement made about exercise.

One of the reasons this guy felt compelled to write the article is because exercise adherents often overstate the benefits of exercise and there are a substantial number of ego-centered hucksters in the industry who make wild, unsubstantiated claims on a routine basis.
  • SusieSonshine
    SusieSonshine Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Here is the link from Yahoo. There is another thread here I was discussing on yesterday if anyone is interested. just titled "Have you read this article?"

I agree with all here it is a worthless piece of journalism, really too bad, may give some people who are trying to change their habits just the excuse they need to stop. Exercise must be combined with a healthy diet to reap the rewards. Good for all of us for seeing that.

I don't see the link; did you forget to post it? :flowerforyou:
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    my son subscribes to this, and i altho i have not read it all, i do disagree with it. can't wait to see "letters to the editor' on this one :bigsmile:
  • Ripgirl
    Ripgirl Posts: 172 Member
    Options
  • Demetria
    Demetria Posts: 178
    Options

Here's the link for the article - http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20090806/hl_time/08599191485700
    here's the link for the other thread on this article - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/62430-have-you-read-this-article

Here's another rebuttal - http://www.burnthefatblog.com/archives/2009/08/why_time_magazine_owes_the_fit.php

Demetria
  • biochemnrd
    Options
    80% nutrition + 20% exercise = Weight Loss

This. :bigsmile: