healthy way to make stir fry?

Options
Hi, i am looking for a healthy but super tasty way to make stir fry for dinner.
The way i know how to make stir fry is to use a lot of sugar and soy sauce among other unhealthy ingredients
.... its tasty, but definitely not healthy!
Any suggestions?!?!? thanks!

Replies

• MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I want to know too!
  • jjames82
    jjames82 Posts: 1
    Options
    I marinate my meat (usually turkey as it's lower in fat than chicken) overnight in herbs & spices (ginger & garlic and a splash of soy sauce for a teriyaki style is yummy) then just use a squirt of spray oil in the wok when stir-frying which is plenty of oil to cook with. I also add the veg at the same time as the meat so that the water from the veg adds to the cooking liquid again reducing the need for extra oil!
  • Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Replace sauces with spices, that is key! If I do do sauces, it is usually some sort of salsa. Spices = virtually no sodium or calories and really zest up the flavor.I do any types of spices ranging from cayenne to red pepper, or the basic "kickin chicken" spice. Or, I do just plain old black pepper with some other herbs.
  • sondra1723
    Options
    thanks everyone! ill definitely try using more spices than sauce!
  • kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Tofu is great in stir fry and is a much healthier alternative to overly-processed, sodium-enriched meat options. It's like a sponge and will soak up the other flavors you're working with.

If you're not crazy about this idea, try substituting 1/2 your meat with tofu to slowly work it into your food repertoire.
  • enchantedbunny
    Options
    In addition to the previous suggestions, I like using mirin (a rice wine seasoning) when I stirfry. It does have some sugar content, but it adds liquid to help steam the veggies and reduce the amount of oil needed. Not to mention mirin is notorious for accentuating the flavors of meats!
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    I use some low sodium chicken stock to give some flavour and mrs.dash no salt spices. :smile:
  • krisaddress
    krisaddress Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I heat 1/2tbs olive oil with 1-2tsp garlic, fry any meat until 1/2 cooked
    Remove meat (I don't like over cooked meat)
    Added veggies and cook for 4mins. (I use: Bok Choy, bean shoots, corn, broccoli, carrot, capsicum, cauliflower, zucchini, beans, any any other veggie I can get my hands on.)
    Mix together 4tbs water, 1-2tspn oyster sauce and 1/4tsp pepper
    Add mix to veggies - stir
    Add meat back to veggies for around 3mins
    Stir fry done.

I usually like my stirfrys with 1/3cup rice and 1/3 cup rice noodles...

:smile:
  • hanna6774
    hanna6774 Posts: 225
    Options
    You can use no sodium no fat chicken broth as well.
  • hypersensitiveb
    hypersensitiveb Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Quinoa instead of rice or noodles. I made that last night and ate it for dinner today.
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    stirfrys are already pretty healthy. Just use lots of veggies and use a non-stick wok with only a spray of oil.
    Plus if you keep your cupboard stocked with the basics like soy sauce, fish sauce, etc rather than using premixed sauces. Then you can flavour it with natural real ingredients. Also flavour like garlic and lemongrass have virtually no calories.
    So id recommend making your stirfrys pretty darn traditional asian instead of some using premade ingredients.
    The whole point of stir frys is that it is quick, so finding time saving things isn't really necessary.
    Then don't even worry about trying to cut carbs from whatever you have with it (rice, noodles etc) just make sure it is an appropriate portion in comparison to veggies and meat.
  • lkcuts
    lkcuts Posts: 224
    Options
    my husband was raised in China Town in Chicago and does our stir fry veggies. He says the veggies aren't supposed to be totally tender. you need very little oil and have to keep moving stuff around. He used about 1 Tblsp coconut oil instead of heavy peanut oil.add fresh garlic, ginger . The wok needs to stay hot shake/stir the meat pieces (Already marinated) in constant motion. when cooked, take out. the wok still hot, throw in the veggies a little at a time constantly stirring/shaking. You may have to add a dollop more of the oil but not much. You continue to add veggies. Its like flash cooking. we put chinese peas, onion,sliced carrots water chestnuts,brocolli(SPELLING?).until they are not totally crunchy. they are more nutritious when not totally cooked through. take it off the fire (we have a gas stove) add back in the meat and put it on a bed of rice. If you feel you need a sauce add low sodium soy to the mix. we marinate chicken strips before hand in light soy/minced garlic and fresh ginger. Ginger root is expensive, but you don't have to buy the whole root. Just break some off in the store, peel it and mince it using your knife until it kind of breaks down.
    the chicken, being pre marinated gives the whole mixture a wonderful, fresh taste.
  • briyowes
    briyowes Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Here is a recipe I got from a healthy cooking demonstration at a local hospital. It was delicious. I am planning on making it at home next week. I bought the Roland Blood Orange Balsamic glaze online because I couldn't find it at a store near me. It has NO sodium, which makes it a great substitute for stir fry sauce.

At the demonstration, this was served with quinoa in a bibb lettuce wrap. The recipe as it was given to me indicates serve with brown rice.

Chicken Stir Fry with Blood Orange Sauce
    Serves 2.

1 cup cooked brown rice
    1 1/2 tsp chinese sesame seed oil
    4 oz cooked chicken breast (diced)
    1/2 tsp fresh ginger
    1/2 tsp fresh garlic
    1/8 oz chopped green onion
    1 oz chopped carrots
    2 oz snow pea pods
    1 1/2 oz red onions
    2 oz artichoke hearts (canned)
    3 tsp Blood Orange Balsamic Glaze
    1 orange (peeled, sliced sections)

Preheat saute pan or wok to 350 degrees F.
    Add sesame oil.
    Heat for 15 seconds.
    Add chicken. Stir frequently for 1 minute.
    Add ginger, garlic, and green onions. Stir fry for 1 minute.
    Add carrots, snow peas, red onion and artichokes. Cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
    Add balsamic glaze and orange sections. Cook for 15 seconds, stirring frequently.
    To serve, place 1/2 cup brown rice on plate. Top with stir fry mixture. Serve immediately.

1 cup stir fry + 1/2 cup rice = 254 calories, 15.3 g protein, 34.7 g carbs, 6.3 g fat, 404 mg sodium
  • sondra1723
    Options
    thanks everyone! ill definitely try those recipes out and everyone's suggestions!