Not Happy With the Scale

Options
So I am about 6 weeks into my weight loss journey here on MFP. The first 3 weeks went .I lost about 7 pounds. Now i seem to be at a plateau. I was eating1200 cals. I have bumped that up to 1500cals hoping for the numbers to start going down on the scale. Well.....its going up!!!!!! What am I to do? Its been 2 weeks. Guidance please.

Replies

• rosie161
    rosie161 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try cutting out any highly processed foods, cereal is usually the worst since its heated at such extreme temperatures, it actually becomes carcinogenic in your body, making it impossible to lose that last bit of weight. When you consume only whole, unadulterated foods your body sheds extra the extra water weight that's holding onto toxins. The more raw fruits and veggies you can eat the better. Also try adding a new activity into your routine...dancing, a class at the gym, sprint triathlon...anything fun to get moving more and to change things up a bit...boredom is a deal breaker!! Good luck...hope it helps :)
  • sondrapht
    sondrapht Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    this is my story too!! I don'tr eat cereal and am exercising quite a bit. I am quickly getting discouraged
  • cbn711
    cbn711 Posts: 9
    Options
    I haven't had much luck on here either, while my friends are all dropping weight like it's the easiest thing ever. I had never heard that about cereal in particular, and find it very interesting. I LOVE cereal! Whatever the hurdle is I hope we find a way past it soon. Good luck!:ohwell:
  • newday332
    newday332 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Try cutting out any highly processed foods, cereal is usually the worst since its heated at such extreme temperatures, it actually becomes carcinogenic in your body, making it impossible to lose that last bit of weight. When you consume only whole, unadulterated foods your body sheds extra the extra water weight that's holding onto toxins. The more raw fruits and veggies you can eat the better. Also try adding a new activity into your routine...dancing, a class at the gym, sprint triathlon...anything fun to get moving more and to change things up a bit...boredom is a deal breaker!! Good luck...hope it helps :)

Even Special K? I thought that was considered healthy.
  • lupa01
    lupa01 Posts: 162 Member
    Options

Most cereals are not healthy, considering all the sugar and sodium that most of them have. I think rosie161 is right on with everything she said. The more natural foods you eat, like raw fruits and veggies, nuts and lean meats, the better off you will be in the long run, and in addition, you will eventually break your plateau. I am beginning to practice what I am preaching as well, I think most of us are learning as we go. Blessings to you, and hold on!!:happy: :happy: :happy:
  • stephanienicolee
    stephanienicolee Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Increase your cardio!
  • 3audkids
    3audkids Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Im in the same boat! I love cereal, going to be hard to give that up....not sure if I can do that.
  • newday332
    Options

Most cereals are not healthy, considering all the sugar and sodium that most of them have. I think rosie161 is right on with everything she said. The more natural foods you eat, like raw fruits and veggies, nuts and lean meats, the better off you will be in the long run, and in addition, you will eventually break your plateau. I am beginning to practice what I am preaching as well, I think most of us are learning as we go. Blessings to you, and hold on!!:happy: :happy: :happy:
  • newday332
    Options
    Thank u Lupa!
  • newday332
    Options
    Will do
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Another piece of advice- if you don't have one, buy a food scale and as much as possible weigh everything you eat and use the weight to determine the calories. Portion control is my biggest issue.
  • newday332
    Options
    Increase your cardio!

I'll try that. Thanks
  • izzydino
    izzydino Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    are you eating back exercise calories? I found this helps me lose
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Increase your cardio!

no... increase your strength training routine, eat your exercise calories and be patient. try eating clean foods.
  • GetFitE
    GetFitE Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I have only seen the scale move between the same 5lbs... up and down, up and down...for the past year!!! I feel like I eat fairly healthy. I eat a lot of nuts, lean meats, veggies, eggs, fruits... I shop in the produce section WAY more than I ever did before. My processed/prepackaged foods are usually a protein bars, yogurts, and 100% whole wheat bread; every now and then I have cereal, popcorn, or special K cracker chips or crackers, but the stuff I eat on a regular basis have an expiration date. I even switched from regular 2% milk to almond milk.

I'm not sure where I'm missing the mark, but I feel like I'm struggling. I'm pretty solid on my cardio, so I started weight training this year, and got SOME minor results, but not what I wanted... I just started Turbo Fire this week. I average about 4 days a week of exercise (I have a heavy work load working 40-50 hours a week), but I'm DETERMINED and am going to sacrifice some stuff in order to stick to this Turbo Fire program...

If I don't get what I want--I'm getting a doctor/nutritionist... or lipo....
  • fatcellsuck
    fatcellsuck Posts: 184
    Options
    I know what you mean!
  • JaimeBrown5
    JaimeBrown5 Posts: 324
    Options
    cereal is usually the worst since its heated at such extreme temperatures

Wow.

I'll just step back and wait this one out. It's going to be good....I can tell.
  • rlv2680
    rlv2680 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    i just ate some bran flakes...am i suppose to feel bad now?
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale and use it , measure everything that can be measured. See if that helps too
  • daisyverma
    daisyverma Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    all cereal is bad for you? omg I am like Jerry Seinfeld - have a collection of ("healthier") cereals and sometimes eat it for dinner..well I used to..not anymore

Well I am not sure if this technique works but I have heard about it alot - calorie shifting.

Basically you eat different amount of calories every day to keep your metabolism going

For ex if your calorie limit is 1500

Monday: 1500
    Tuesday: 1700-1800
    Wed: 1500
    Thirs:1800 and so forth

the above is a simple example...again I dont know the long term effects, but you can speak with your Dr. or medical professional or a trainer and see if its good for you