Horse People!!

Options
bandenna
bandenna Posts: 89 Member
Hey Everyone!

I am looking for some friends that are horse lovers too that can help me keep on track and I will do the same for you :wink: I am an equestrian rider for the western team here at Midway College in Kentucky and I need to watch my weight in order to be able to ride. If I go over the limit too much, I cant ride!! :sad: BUT I am realy commited to doing this, but I dont wanna do it alone! I just want to be healthy, happy, and most of all, able to continue riding.

It would be neat to share some excersizes and workout routines that would help me strengthen my muscles to become a better rider. I am 18 years old (19 in may), 5'3 and I weigh around 200lbs. So any equestrian girls (or guys) out there that could help me out would be great! (you dont have to be a horsy person to send me a friend invite though lol)
Have a nice day! :flowerforyou:

Anna

Replies

• maddiey
    maddiey Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Hey! We're already friends, but I ride horses as well! I feel the same way, I just want to be in shape to ride. I would looooveee to try vaulting! But I know I have no upper body strength. I'd also love to wear a smaller size breeches haha :) happy riding!
  • jankleberry
    jankleberry Posts: 508
    Options
    One of my biggest motivations to lose weight is getting back into riding. I went last year for the first time in about 5 years/ The weight limit was 200lbs and I just made it. I was embarrased. It was a 3hr beach ride and I found it so difficult to keep up with the other girls. Once I lose another ten pounds I'm going for it again :)
  • bandenna
    Options
    At Midway College, we have a weight limit of 200 lbs. However, some officials make acceptions depending on your strength and overall fitness. But I have to watch it. Its a great motivation to be able to ride :smile:
  • bandenna
    Options
    Vaulting is soo neat to watch!! I dont think I could ever do it now... maybe someday lol
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend's mom actually rides and boards horses. She's 57 and in fantastic shape (especially her legs) which she attributes to the riding.

I tried riding once and fell off, but did do it one more time. I was told I'm a nervous rider like she is, but it takes practice. I want to learn more about riding. I do know after I ride a horse my whole body is really sore! I actually feel like I did an intense workout haha.
  • DsAdvocate
    DsAdvocate Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I ride :)
  • foxggren
    foxggren Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I love riding... I was just at the barn this evening! :)
  • austepants
    austepants Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I have been riding since I was 5! I'm 26 now!! So I guess you can say I am a huge horse person. Anyone feel free to add me!! :)
  • mrschappet
    mrschappet Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Ok..... the title of this post totally made me think of the Bones episode with the people role playing as horses LMAO!!!
  • skeetpea
    skeetpea Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Losing weight to ride again is one of my motivations :smile: I used to do Dressage competitively as a junior rider about 10 - 15 years ago. I put on a LOT of weight since then. I really miss it. I would LOVE to start taking riding lessons again. I'm hoping to get under 200 lbs too before I start doing that again, but it is something I'm really looking forward to!!
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I used to ride on my colleges riding team for a bit. I love horses, and get out and ride whenever/wherever I can!
  • mlwatts2
    mlwatts2 Posts: 247
    Options
    Riding is an amazing workout!! Plus there is nothing like spending time with a horse! Anything core strengthening is going to help you become a stronger person and rider! I have litterally been riding since before I could walk! No joke! I was in my first show at 2 weeks old being held by my Mom! Back in the day they had family classes too cute! Don't let something you can control stand in front of your dreams!! You can do it girl!!
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I have loved horses from my first memories. I was raised in the country where we had pasture land and a barn, but only chickens and a (pet) goat. We didn't have any horses, but there was an old fashioned farmer that lived down through the woods from us with an old logging road in between our properties. My mom gave the old farmer permission to let his work horses (he did all his farming and hay cutting with horse drawn equipment, it was so cool) come and graze our pasture as well as his few cows.

In the spring and summer he would come up and mow our pastures with a horse drawn mower and us kids would help him. We would let him store the hay in our barn, then when he needed some, we would help him load up his stone boat with hay and then ride down to his place on top of the hay to keep it from falling off of the stone boat. A stone boat is a huge sled-like bed transport. We had so much fun and didn't realize how lucky we were to witness the old way of doing things. The work horses were King and Coalie a matched pair of black draft horses. King was kinda mean and we had to avoid him in the pasture, but Coalie; about 5 or 6 of us would pile on her and go for rides. Such fun. I never got to have a horse, but I have such fond memories.
  • Fredrikanita
    Fredrikanita Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Riding in itself is a great workout, works buns, thighs, core, arms, back. So, basically a full body workout, thats fun at the same time. My mum is horse mad, lol so we started riding as soon as we could walk. Have had alot of great times on horseback, most memorable would be riding through the snow in winter time. (Live in New Zealand, don't get the snow in winter.) :( Although I haven't riden in years after I had a riding accident. I miss riding sometimes but after the accident have just lost the urge to ride.

Still think it fantastic fun though, might get back into it later on.

All the best for your goals, and ride as much as possible, it helps alot! :D
  • jacqui1612
    jacqui1612 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hey. I'm horsie.. Haven't been able to ride recently due to work etc but still have my horses at my house. I live in Australia and into showjumping. Hoping to get back into it very shortly! I'll add you. Anyone else feel free to add me too :)
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't compete, but I ride pretty regularly. We have cows, so we do a lot of team roping and wrangling type stuff; we even go up to a ranch here in Colorado and help out a few times a year with the cattle drives, and I love it.

So although I don't compete, feel free to add me! I'm a horsie kinda gal, through and through. :)
  • amandalfraser
    amandalfraser Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Great topic! Horse person here add me if you'd like!
  • SierraElegance
    SierraElegance Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm a lifetime horse lover! I have done many types of riding, but showed hunter/jumper for several years until I had some serious accidents. I did win an Equitation championship before I stopped (year end), so I'm very proud of that!

I have a Quarter Horse and a Paint, and have fun trail riding now. I competed in my first Trail Trials last fall (with my spooky horse!), and I look forward to working on it and doing more. I just love competition!

I'm also training for my second bikini competition in June, so you can check out my food diary if you want to see what it looks like to "eat clean". It's not easy, but it's been better the second time around, because I know what to expect. I can help anyone with their food diary, if you want to learn how to improve your choices!

I would love to have more friends!
  • angimac
    angimac Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I haven't ridden YET, but I'm going to ride soon. A good friend owns a farm with horses, goats, and cows. I help out around the farm most days. I love spending time with the animals, but the horses have a way of calming me when I am having a rough day.

One of my rewards for losing weight was once I got below 200 pounds, I'd be ready to ride. My friend and I haven't had the time (at least both of us at the same time) for her to take me riding yet, but it will happen soon!
  • acleek
    acleek Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey I ride horses too!! I really suggest taking yoga/hot yoga classes to get better at riding and to trim down. You will obviously have to follow other diet and exercise routines as well, but I really think yoga has helped me with my riding in terms of balance, the muscle groups you use, and posture. Its also great to do after a long day of riding, because it really prevents you from getting a lot of soreness in the muscles and joints. And it can always be a workout you actually look forward to during the week!

I ride English -- hunter/jumper but used to ride western when I was younger. Love meeting horsey people :)