How long does it take for upped calories for maintenance tak

Options
I'm trying to maintain my current weight and so I've upped my calories now, but I think I've gained a kg and its very demotivating. I've recently upped my exercise slightly too so I know I need to eat more but gaining weight has just made me want to go to 1200 again!!

I'm currently eating around 1600 - 1800 a day.

Perhaps, do you think I'm eating too many calories then?
19 years
height 5,3
54kg (119 pounds?)
I do les mills classes 3 times a week and an extra day of cardio machines.

Please help me? It's very upsetting.

Replies

• iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    it takes a while for your body to get used to it, so dont worry about the scale going up now. it will go down again.
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Er, it's only 1KG. That is virtually nothing... you need to give it a sustained period of time and see how it works, at least in my opinion. That fluctuation could easily happen overnight for example.
  • redbekah
    redbekah Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It's a kg that has seemed to stay put for almost a week though. Do you think it's just too many calories for my body?
  • earlyxer
    earlyxer Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    You increased your calories from 1200 to 1600, which is 30% - kind of a sudden move.

Either wait it out or try a more gradual approach - 1400 for two weeks then up to 1600. Any abrupt change in intake is going to cause a reaction.
  • redbekah
    Options
    Oh sorry I forgot to mention I had starting bumping it up to around 1400 first. 1200 was just where I first started.
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I haven't reached the stage where I switch to maintainanace, yet. I am expecting some kind of fluctuation in weight when I get there though. A little up, a little down :) Trial and error, I think until you feel comfortable. I think it's unlikely that weight will remain rock solid with no small changes in the long term, as long as the small changes don't increase.
  • redbekah
    Options
    Okay thank you. I think its just a mind over matter thing and I need to keep with it for a little longer. I just look in the mirror and seem to think I look bigger. =/