My first 5K? when did you first say "I can run 5k?"

Options
When I started on the C25K app, my target was to be able to run 5k without stopping. I moved off the programme, because I wanted to mix it up, and recently I've hit the 5k distance jogged point, though mixed in with short walk sections.

Last night, I know I jogged for more than 5k. I covered around 5.8km, and walked a couple of very tiny stretches. As well as this, it was my first proper run "off-road" and I set out into the sunshine across some fields (an amazing feeling!).

The thing is though, although I'm incredibly proud of myself for doing this, the scientist in me wants proof that I can run 5k, because well, I didn't run it in one stretch, and as that was my original target, it feels a slight anti-climax to say "well, I've probably achieved it".

So, a question for you all - when did you announce to the world "I've run/can run 5k"? was it when you covered this distance including walks? excluding walks? without any walk breaks at all?

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I only said it when I could do it without stopping. But for hitting longer distances (my longest is now 9.5 miles), I do take walk breaks.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I only said it when I could do it without stopping. But for hitting longer distances (my longest is now 9.5 miles), I do take walk breaks.

thanks :) maybe I'll set that as the target then - the only reason I took walk breaks last night was because I had to open farm gates, but maybe I wouldn't have gone so far without that

who knows, maybe I'll do my first 5k official run this sunday without walk breaks - lol who am I kidding with the hill involved!
  • jam3114
    jam3114 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    For me it was when I completed it without walking & as a 'race' & that was two weeks ago
    Completed 5k St Patrick's Day Fun Run (with some not so fun Hills :mad: )

Hoping to complete 2 10k's (Aprili/June) and then shout to the world that I can run 10k :bigsmile:
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I say you can take credit when you either run 5k (training) consistently or when you finish the race - even if there are some walk breaks. For the race, you'll go out faster (I took two 1 minute walk breaks for my first 5K If memory serves me right? around the water breaks)....and if you don't want to be 'technical'...you can say "I did my first 5K at xx:xx".
  • Kirsty_UK
    Options
    For me it was when I completed it without walking & as a 'race' & that was two weeks ago
    Completed 5k St Patrick's Day Fun Run (with some not so fun Hills :mad: )

Hoping to complete 2 10k's (Aprili/June) and then shout to the world that I can run 10k :bigsmile:

wow that's a short gap between 5k and 10k

I'm debating signing up for one at the start of June and wondering if that's too soon for me
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I knoiw what you mean exactly!!! I am in the same boat. I went straight from C25K to B210K and I don't think I have run 5k straight without walk breaks but I feel sure I could! I am planning to do just this on one of my next runs to prove it! I will let you know how I got on!
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I started running (I didn't realize it at the time, but I was doing the C25K program...run, walk, run, walk) at the beginning of June 2011. I ran my first 5K the first weekend of August. So took me about 2 months to feel like I could really do it.
  • FlynnMacCallister
    FlynnMacCallister Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Hahahahaha, ah, running. I can't run five minutes without a shin splints flare-up despite having good, well-coached form. >.< The biomechanics of my legs say no. I wonder what the equivalent cycling achievement would be.....
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    I would cont a true 5k as actually running an organized race or run.

After that I would say that I ran a 5k.

I didn't say that I had run a half marathon till I had actually ran a half marathon race.
  • barbie423
    Options
    On December 11, 2011 !!! It was the best feeling ever :)
  • Kirsty_UK
    Options
    Well if I can run sunday's "race" without walking, then I'll definitely say I've done it!
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I stuck with the program, so I knew I could do it the morning that I attempted it.. Because once I make my mind up to do something, I do not, under any circumstances, give in or give up. It was exciting beginning that morning, because I knew when I was finished, I'd have accomplished something I'd never done before. And I"m like you, I'd have to be able to do it in one run, with no walk breaks, or I wouldn't be able to truly say I'd ran a 5k. So when I signed up for my first 5K race, I was excited, because I knew I had it nailed.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Options
    I'm very excited :)
  • Sonia43
    Sonia43 Posts: 6
    Options
    I started running last year in the Spring. I ran my first 5K race in early September. Prior to that though, I had already covered the distance on a number of occasions, without any walking, so I knew I could do it before race day. What ultimately happened was that my pace increased so that I eventually finished the race in under 30 mins. I then continued to increase my distance gradually and I ran my first 10K at the end of October. I am now trying to add miles to eventually complete a half. It is a big step up though from 6 miles to 13.1, so I am taking my time. Currently I can run 9 now without any walking, so I may sign up for my first half in June! Good luck with your race on Sunday, the fact that you have the willpower to do this will carry you far!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I waited until I did the full 5K without walking, but that's just me (I've been a walker - no, not the zombie kind - since I was kid, I walked everywhere so 5km of walking was pretty routine for me; the transition to running was a completely different story....)