My first 5k!

Options
Hi Friends! I am going to be doing my first 5k on the 14th. I've been doing the couch to 5k program for 2 weeks, so I'll be somewhere around week 5 by the time of the race, and expect to be doing a walk/jog combo. I have heard it is a very hilly course. I've never done a race before, any advice?

Replies

• bear_nakey
    bear_nakey Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! I just did my first a few weeks ago! I anticipated a walk/jog combo, but managed to run the whole thing! My advice: find a steady pace (mine was pretty slow) and stick to it! I made it in at 38:45. If you anything like me, the completion of the race far outweighted the importance of the time I placed. Good luck!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Congrats and good luck!

Use a site/app like Runkeeper or MapMyRun to plot out a 5k route and practice running outside if you've been on the treadmill so far. Maybe even try the course for the race if you can.

My "secret weapon" is seedless grapes. I get parched when running, but lack the coordination to drink without spilling it down my neck, or banging my teeth on the straw of my sippy-cup type thermos, or choking when I try to swallow. One grape is like taking a sip of water, without any of those pitfalls. :tongue: I have a little zippered pouch I clip onto my shorts, or stick 'em in a pocket if I'm wearing something with a pocket. (Jelly beans work well, too.)

Other than that, relax and enjoy! Walk if you need to. No shame in that at all.
  • toxicelektra
    Options
    Thank you for the advise! I am nervous about it, but I think it will be worth it. :o)