Stupid carbs!

Options
Every day nearly I'm loads over on carbs... help!

Things I didn't think had so many carbs in like porridge and a banana! Argh...

Any advice? My food diary is also open.

:-)

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Your food diary isn't open, sorry!

Are you using the MFP default level for carbs, or did you set your own?
  • KatyMalkin
    Options
    It did everything for me I think, I just put that I want to lose 2lb a week...

Just seems that rather having one specific thing that has loads of carbs, it's more like loads of things adding up

It's open now, sorry :-)
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    anything that is not animal meat has carbs.
    Dairy has carbs.
    So all plants have carbs,
    the whiter the food the more carbs, the more processed they are the more carbs.

You posted earlier you eat potatoes a lot. They my dear have lots of carbs.

Try brighter colors less carbs. measure them.

--side note: when you ween yourself from the carbs, if you eat mega amounts, you will get headaches.---
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You're not massively over every day, so it's not a big deal.

You could certainly reduce the quantity of the very carby things you eat - half the amount of potatoes, rice, pasta, say, and that would bring you under the target. I'd focus on those first rather than the fruit and veg. But as I say, remember that everything is an estimate, so if you're within 10% of the goal, I wouldn't stress too much.
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Are you losing weight? Your ticker says no. I'm just wondering. I had a look at a few days and in general you're not that much over your carb allowance.

For myself, if I eat over about 150g of carbs/day I start to gain slowly so I keep it around 100-120. I don't usually eat potatoes or pasta, I will if I really want them, but I don't very often eat them.

If you're looking for suggestions for cutting carbs then up your vegetable intake (but not starchy veggies) and lower your fruit intake or eat berries instead of apples or bananas. I have a banana every day and I also have around 2.5-3 servings of frozen berries almost everyday. I do still eat bread, but limit it to only two slices (usually) per day. Also, more protien will keep you full longer. I eat a ton of chicken breast and pork chops and the occasional steak :).

That's just what works for me, limiting bread and avoiding pasta and potatoes. :)
  • OvOv
    OvOv Posts: 50
    Options
    Hey...you wanna avoid sugary carbs...stuff like fruit juice, fruit etc.

It's best to have that sort of thing straight after exercise...but never before bed!

Also if you do have carbs try and aim for complex carbs like brown rice and wholemeal stuff.

Good luck :)
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hi Katy,

Had a quick look at your diary and it looks great. Almost all healthy choices.

I wouldn't worry about the carbs, just keep an eye on the calories, and you're doing well there.

My only suggestion would be to introduce more excercise including some strength/weights training.

Good luck
    Phil
  • KatyMalkin
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys :-)

No, no weight lost yet as I only started this on Monday :-)
  • Sleekit
    Sleekit Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I too, think bread/carbs are the devil incarnate. I have been making an effort to eat less carbs. I only allow myself to have bread/oats during breakfast. Then during my big meal (dinner) I allow myself a bit of rice/whole wheat pasta if I am still feeling the craving. If you are craving it, your body might be telling you something about what you're lacking. Everyone is right. Try different kind of carbs. VEGGIES!
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Try to eat things that allow you net carbs. Carbs minus fiber equals net carbs. An example - brown rice has 45 grams of carbs and 4 grams of fiber. Net carbs are 41. Higher fiber, lower glycemic index, less carb cravings!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Carbs will never kill you! Unless you're sensitive to them, they won't hurt your weight loss. The key is to make sure you get as many as possible from good sources; fruits, vegetables, whole grains. Stay away from the white. White potatoes, bread, rice, sugar even, have less nutritional value for the carbs you eat. And a lot of white foods have a lot of processing, to make bread, rice or sugar white, they undergo bleaching processes. This tends to leach any nutrition right out of them.

I'm higher in carbs than I like, but when I look at NET carbs (total carbs - fiber) I'm doing great! Fiber does a body good! Along with plenty of water to keep it moving on through!