Working out while having a baby/ young kid

Options

Replies

• babybluefire
    babybluefire Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Perhaps their spouse works 12+ hour days and has a commute? My spouse sometimes barely has the energy or time left to shovel some food in his face and read books to the kids before they are in bed.

What if the mother is exclusively breastfeeding and cant go more then a hour away from the baby during the day. No matter what you try you cant force a child into a nap schedule. All these things are biologically NORMAL for babies and toddlers.

Next time stop being so judgmental and better then every one else because you are lucky and have a schedule and kids that are easy.

I believe you're mistaking "curiosity" for "judgmental" hummmm....

Nope, getting snarky and asking why the father isn't doing his job and asking if these women are single moms is judgmental. Then getting offended when someone calls you on it, well lol.

I wasn't the one getting snarky, although I can if you want me to. I was simply curious. I didn't say anyone was a single mom, please re read what I wrote. KTHNXBYE.

First my post was not only directed at you, so go ahead and re-read what I wrote. In fact to start off with I did not even quote you. Second go ahead and be as snarky as you think you can be, it wont make you any less judgmental.
  • ThisisMiss
    ThisisMiss Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom and I work out while DD is napping. When she is awake and the weather is decent, we go out for a walk. She doesn't always cooperate and sleep as long as she should (or I would like) and sometimes she resists the walk too. All I can suggest is to try different things and see what works for you and your situation. It can be a bit tricky, but I'm sure you can find a way to make it work!
  • honestlysweet
    honestlysweet Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    My kids are grown, but when they were babies, I worked out to the early morning (5 and 6 am) exercise shows on TV. Back then, late 80's, not too many people bought exercise tapes, they were in VHS form, and you didn't really need to, because they were on TV. I worked out before the kids woke up.
  • LuLuRunner1
    LuLuRunner1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Quote: I am a working mom, so I use my lunch break for workouts. With the weather nice, I can get a nice 40 mins run in. I just look bright red for the first hour I am back at my desk

Me, too! Everyone in the office knows not to come give me a hug after lunch, I might still be sweaty!! A little bit of perfume and a candle works wonders!
  • babybluefire
    babybluefire Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have a 4 year old and a 23 month old. I either work out while they're asleep or tell their father to get off his butt and watch them.

Just to add, implying that the father needs to get off his but and watch the kids is judgmental and snarky. It also implys that the dad is lazy and does none of the childcare.

To prove a point my spouse left the house before 430am and was not home until until 830pm. That included 4 hours of drive time, then because dh was helping fix another stores disastrous mess he moved 10 pallets of merchandise. He stopped counting the pounds half way threw at around 3500 pounds. By hand, up stairs with no hand truck or dolly. Lazy or needing to get off his but at home he is not.
  • moonpony
    moonpony Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My wife and I have two kids: 2.5 and 11 months. We started doing Insanity together about a month ago and really like working out together to keep each other motivated.

We tried doing our workouts at night after the kids were asleep for a couple weeks. Unfortunately, that left us finishing up as last as 9:45 or 10 and even after cooling down we were still so amped up that it was hard to get to sleep.

What we're doing now is to try waking up before the kids(around 6a) and trying to get it done before they wake up. Lately, our oldest (2.5) has been waking up by 6:30 so that's been difficult... but he likes to watch or try to do the cardio exercises himself. I'm not a morning person at all - but it's better than the alternative (which is not doing it at all).

Good luck!

That's how old my two are, too! :) I work out at night after they go to bed. Thankfully they go down around 8, so I can usually finish before 9, giving me some time to cool down by 10 or so. My two are just too unpredictable as to when they wake up to rely upon doing in the morning.
  • kmaas802
    kmaas802 Posts: 19
    Options
    I am a SAHM to two kids - 4 years and 11 months. I run on my treadmill during my younger son's morning nap, and my older son either plays on the computer, watches TV or plays in the basement where my treadmill is. I save my long runs for Saturday or Sunday mornings when my husband is home to take care of them. On the days I do strength training, I do that during my younger son's afternoon nap and my older son will "exercise" right next to me! I do take a class at the YMCA one night a week and my husband watches the boys. The schedule works for me now, but when the baby starts dropping one of his naps or my preschooler's school schedule changes, I'll have to make adjustments.
  • iNkedFiTmama
    iNkedFiTmama Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 year old an (almost) 4 year old and I'm 6 weeks pregnant... Right now I am doing the beach body brazil butt lift program during the day whenever I can - but I make sure to do it.. even if means during chaos (i've almost died on a bouncy ball before Lol) and I also go to the gym 3 nights a week after my kids go to bed - my hubs is doing p90x is in the evening while I'm gone.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Kids are perfect to use as weights. Walking usually seems to keep them happy, so snugli, go to the store on nasty days and walk around there if you can't go out in your yard. Use them for leg lifts. Tell them you are being a horse or something like that and bounce them up and down. Piggy back rides, crawling around on the floor with them - honestly, have you ever tried, even for a few minutes to do everything your young child is doing? No cardio tapes can compare. You don't have to go to the gym or do a workout tape to exercise. Good luck!
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I have 3 year old triplets and a 4 year old. I bought a fitbit from amazon and It helps me stick to my goals. Even just making sure I do my 10,000 steps and 10 flightes of stairs a day to reach my daily goals is enough for now. I love that fact it tells me when in the day I am most sedentary and when I am most active. Put it simply it makes me move more (and it sincs with MFP)
    Any other workouts I might do I am happy with. Its not easy finding time and as much as I have had the best intentions to get up before the kids and workout, I rarely manage it. I'm just too tired sometimes.
    Good luck with finding something that works for you. Once you do, you will be away and flying towards your fitness goals!
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    my hubby travels for work and is gone about 40 weeks a year. I have a 5 year old and a 23 month old. I work in the mornings and go to school at night. I also have to squeeze meals, homework and play with the kids in. I usually put the 23 month old down for a nap at 1 and then do a workout video for about 40 minutes and then work on abs. My 5 year old hates it and through the entire thing i have to listen to her complain that she wants me to play. but i have to set aside my guilt and remind myself that i am doing this, just like work and school, for me but also for them. i want to be around a long time and my health can demand 1 hour of my day.

i could get up early in the morning to do it, but my classes go until 10:30 PM. i come home, let the sitter leave. clean up, do some laundry and go to bed. it's usually midnight or later before i get to sleep. and i have to be up at 6. i don't get enough zzzzz's anyway. i am not going to try to get up at 5. :)
  • Sam426f
    Sam426f Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

I am a working mum (4 days per week) I have a weekly workout schedule which I will happily share with you all :happy:

Monday and Wednesday I run during my lunch hour for around 30 - 40 mins.
    Tuesday evening (after the bedtime routine) I go to a zumba class for an hour.
    Friday is my day off of work so I try to fit in an exercise dvd during his afternoon nap in addition I try to walk everywhere!
    Weekends are slightly easier because his daddy is home to help out so I try to have a longer run on either Saturday or Sunday morning, maybe both if I am feeling particually energetic.

After all of this I am completely zonked out but am much happier as an active person.

I'd love to hear some other suggestions and make some MFP friends with similar circumstances.

Have a nice day!
    Sam
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    What if you had that job? Would you be expected to come home and take care of the children? Don't take things so personally. There are a large majority of husbands that don't help with the kids for whatever reason. Also, the advice would be different if it is a single parent (either because there is no spouse or because of a spouse's job).

I have a 4 year old and a 23 month old. I either work out while they're asleep or tell their father to get off his butt and watch them.

Just to add, implying that the father needs to get off his but and watch the kids is judgmental and snarky. It also implys that the dad is lazy and does none of the childcare.

To prove a point my spouse left the house before 430am and was not home until until 830pm. That included 4 hours of drive time, then because dh was helping fix another stores disastrous mess he moved 10 pallets of merchandise. He stopped counting the pounds half way threw at around 3500 pounds. By hand, up stairs with no hand truck or dolly. Lazy or needing to get off his but at home he is not.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    If he's available, wait 'til dad gets home and have him take over while you take an hour for your exercise time. In just an hour, you can get a good workout. After my twins came along, I continued working and my former husband stayed home to take care of the kids. He was hanging out the window, waiting for me in his running clothes, when I came home each afternoon. After the kids were in school, he worked out during the day, and I ran as soon as I got home each afternoon.

It can be hard, but where there's a will, there's a way. Doesn't this little one take naps? I had four kids. With work and kids, life was very hectic and kept me slim. Now that I don't have to be as active, I have to make a greater effort. Taking care of your kids and playing with them is a workout. Enjoy your children!
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    my hubby travels for work and is gone about 40 weeks a year. I have a 5 year old and a 23 month old. I work in the mornings and go to school at night. I also have to squeeze meals, homework and play with the kids in. I usually put the 23 month old down for a nap at 1 and then do a workout video for about 40 minutes and then work on abs. My 5 year old hates it and through the entire thing i have to listen to her complain that she wants me to play. but i have to set aside my guilt and remind myself that i am doing this, just like work and school, for me but also for them. i want to be around a long time and my health can demand 1 hour of my day.

i could get up early in the morning to do it, but my classes go until 10:30 PM. i come home, let the sitter leave. clean up, do some laundry and go to bed. it's usually midnight or later before i get to sleep. and i have to be up at 6. i don't get enough zzzzz's anyway. i am not going to try to get up at 5. :)

oh, and if it weren't for 5 hr energy, i couldn't make it thru the day. don't use them everyday, but there are times i would never get a workout in if i didn't have it...
  • jeaninemckinney
    Options
    Well my son is 2 1/2 and it was great when he used to nap...cuz then i could get my jillian workout in and do the household things i needed to do then still have some me time! Oh how i miss naptime! Now we go for walks just about everydau and i try to do the 30 ds while chasing him up and down the stairs and making sure hes not coloring on the walls! So i guess i get an extra workout with all the stairs lol but it gets me off my groove and just frustrates me sometimes! Its nice to be able to focus on yourself for 20 min! When the bf gets home its dinner time and we get to hang out or he has things to do! So sometimes i workout later which u dont like cuz im always pooped...but i also try to get my 9yr old to watch my lil monster which i get my workout in but my mind is still not with it cuz u never know whats going on upstairs! I keep thinking about getting a membersip where theres a daycare cuz i think it would be good for both me and my monster! Good luck to u all and u show me i can do it too!! Proud of all u guys! :-):bigsmile:
  • Natalie182
    Natalie182 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have a 9 month old, tbh ive only recently started exercising, she was having 2 hour nap but has recently changed to have an hour! Im currently doing exercise dvds/Wii Zuma & jsut started the 30 day shred, having to do it while she naps, she hates me doing anything that doesnt involve her, if i put her in her jumperoo she soon gets bored and shouts at me so i cant hear the dvd ahah!

Im 126lbs looking to lose or just tone up!!xx
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    When my kids were little, I would work out with them.

I used my son as a weight and would play with him, but work my arms as I lifted him above my head and then lower him to blow on his belly.

I had a 2 kids bike trailer that I would ride the bike around the neighborhood while the kids were in the back.

i used the Jogging stroller with a mesh bag on the back to do my grocery shopping. The kids loved the walk.

While we were at the park, I would do step up on the benches, incline pushups, dips. I also took a jump rope with me. anything that I could do while the kids were playing and still be able to see them.

Once my kids got a little older, my son started using the weights with me. He would have the little 1 pound weight and try to mimic the movements I was making.

Bottom line, you just need to be creative and do it with the kids so they understand the importance of exercise in their life.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Usually I work out right after I get home from work at 4:30-ish while DH is watching the kids. Some day, I will do it after the kids go to bed, but that's harder for me as I am tired by that time.
  • QueenKatherineElizabeth
    Options
    Are you ladies single moms? I ask my husband to watch the kids so I can work out.

No I am not a single mom but my husband is usually busy during the day with school in the evening or working on something. So I have my little girl with me all day. He sometimes will watch her if I ask so I can go out for a jog in our neighborhood.