Sugar: The Bitter Truth

Replies

• hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    :bigsmile: i ate 45 grams of sugar today.....41 grams of natural sugars from fruits and veggies :bigsmile: and only YES ONLY 4 grams of man made sugar
  • fitgal411
    fitgal411 Posts: 668
    Wish I had read this BEFORE I ate all those Swedish Fish . . .:wink:
  • 31 grams of sugar today and in natural sugars too. =) 27 grams of fiber. =)

Thanks so much for the link. I'm watching it right now. No sugar for me! I rather have my natural fats! :angry:
  • I was really motivated after I watched the video last night, but after looking at what I ate today I really fell short on not eating man made sugars. I know he said they put it in pretzels...and after I finished my afternoon snack (of pretzels) I confirmed he was correct. :ohwell:

Maybe I set myself up for failure when I put (lite) syrup on my waffle for breakfast. This is harder than it looks. And my family was not too impressed with the effects it's going to have on their diets either. My four year old was already whining for juice boxes or pop this afternoon. I told him no and stuck to it...but I made a fruit salad that had cool whip in it for dinner. :embarassed:

I really do have the best intentions for my kids. I'll just have to keep working at what I buy and or make.
  • SusieSonshine
    SusieSonshine Posts: 252 Member
    I was really motivated after I watched the video last night, but after looking at what I ate today I really fell short on not eating man made sugars. I know he said they put it in pretzels...and after I finished my afternoon snack (of pretzels) I confirmed he was correct. :ohwell:

Maybe I set myself up for failure when I put (lite) syrup on my waffle for breakfast. This is harder than it looks. And my family was not too impressed with the effects it's going to have on their diets either. My four year old was already whining for juice boxes or pop this afternoon. I told him no and stuck to it...but I made a fruit salad that had cool whip in it for dinner. :embarassed:

I really do have the best intentions for my kids. I'll just have to keep working at what I buy and or make.

Baby steps! Just being aware of what's in the food you and your family eat, and making better choices, is a step in the right direction! Try to choose whole foods instead of the manufactured "frankenfoods!" Like, instead of lite syrup, use pure Grade B Maple Syrup, honey, blue agave syrup, or whole fruit jam; it's hard to go cold turkey! I had a whole grain pancake this morning, but used yogurt with fresh berries and flaxseed meal on it instead. It was soooo filling and satisfying!!! I don't even miss the added sugar anymore!

I used to reeeeeeally love milk chocolate, and turned my nose up at the dark choco that Dr Oz and all the others say is good for ya, and low in sugar. Now, that I've cut all the "free" sugar and HFCS out of my diet, the dark chocolate truly appeals to me and satisfies that urge, when I just need that li'l extra!

So, at least now you know, and you're aware of the mechanism!

All the best to you, and your family!

Susie :flowerforyou:
  • nobleps
    nobleps Posts: 95
    I'm gonna check this out. Thanks!
  • talrcat
    talrcat Posts: 97 Member
    bump for later
  • SusieSonshine
    I'm gonna check this out. Thanks!

You're most welcome!! <smile!!>
  • SusieSonshine
    :bigsmile: i ate 45 grams of sugar today.....41 grams of natural sugars from fruits and veggies :bigsmile: and only YES ONLY 4 grams of man made sugar

Wooohoooo!!!
  • SusieSonshine
    31 grams of sugar today and in natural sugars too. =) 27 grams of fiber. =)

Thanks so much for the link. I'm watching it right now. No sugar for me! I rather have my natural fats! :angry:

Yay!!! Good for you!!! <smile!!>

:flowerforyou:
  • SusieSonshine
    Wish I had read this BEFORE I ate all those Swedish Fish . . .:wink:

LOL!!
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Everyone that is taking things out of their diet (and their kid's diets) please make sure you are replacing the good things you are taking away with something to put the nutrients back. If you take fruit juice away, give them fruit. Don't just say "here is water, its better for you"

There is no benefit to having thin, unhealthy, malnourished children just to say they don't have sugar and are skinny.

Think about it before you jump on one person's report on sugar... Just a little devil's advocate. :drinker: (there is sugar free cool-aide in those cups)
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    oh boy i think after reading this i'm going to be very wary of sugars...imma check everything i eat and try to eat less than 25sugars a day (not counting fruit and vegetable sugars)

My friend and I, over the years, have talked about why people are so obese and have cellulite at younger ages, and why the older people, like our mom's, don't have these problems. It might just have to do with this conspiracy to load us up with HFCS, like Dr. Lustig explains! And it all goes back to the age-old prob: greed.

And now, I see in another thread, that there's a new movie out called Food, Inc. There's a clip on youtube. I'm gonna rent it when it comes out on dvd! Netflix has Supersize Me! on instant, and that sure is informational!

I have been saying this all along and other members on this site have been bashing me coming and going.

I posted an article last week or so saying how they are growing fruit bigger and bigger even, which makes it contain more sugar, so we even have to be aware of how much fruit we are putting in our body.

There is a big size difference between typical grocery store produce and organic produce. Organic produce is a LOT smaller and color wise different than typical grocery store produce.

Vegetables and some fruit is GREAT for us, but fruit still needs to be eaten in portion sizes, which many people don't realize.

My personal belief is that there is a conspiracy out there between the government, insurance companies and the Big Pharma companies.

They are trying to keep people addicted to sugar, white flour and junk food so they can keep us with high cholesterol, diabetes, heart disease, etc.............that way they all fatten their pockets while we stay sick and lethargic, which requires more and more meds along with surgeries, etc, etc.............

That is why I lost faith in our medical community and have chosen to treat my diseases and syndromes with natural medicine (through a naturopath and a natural pharmacist.).................

I try to eat as clean as I possibly can and I stay away from white bread, buns, french fries, etc..............
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Bravo to all of this.
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • Everyone that is taking things out of their diet (and their kid's diets) please make sure you are replacing the good things you are taking away with something to put the nutrients back. If you take fruit juice away, give them fruit. Don't just say "here is water, its better for you"

There is no benefit to having thin, unhealthy, malnourished children just to say they don't have sugar and are skinny.

Think about it before you jump on one person's report on sugar... Just a little devil's advocate. :drinker: (there is sugar free cool-aide in those cups)

No I don't drink anything sugar free...just water, soy milk (unsweetened), and green tea. Do not drink alcohol. I'm not even "legal." Okay the ocassional treat drink (not alcoholic!), but everyone is human right? :laugh:
    I definitely agree to give your kids fruit for fiber and vitamins. If you cut them from soda and juice, make sure to be giving them extra nutrients (vitamins and minerals esp. calcium). Soda, soft drinks, and juice are horrible for bones, make your kids vitamin and mineral deprived, and get kids craving even more sugar. Do not give your kids money to buy these things at school either!
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Everyone that is taking things out of their diet (and their kid's diets) please make sure you are replacing the good things you are taking away with something to put the nutrients back. If you take fruit juice away, give them fruit. Don't just say "here is water, its better for you"

i'm not going to deprive my children of having a sugar fix every once in a while...that is part of being a kid, :bigsmile: but sugar with reason is ok for kids.....and i cant help it if my 3 yr old is skinny lmao...he can eat constantly...and not gain a pound (he's very active)
  • chgudnitz

No I don't drink anything sugar free...just water, soy milk (unsweetened), and green tea. Do not drink alcohol. I'm not even "legal." Okay the ocassional treat drink (not alcoholic!), but everyone is human right? :laugh:
    I definitely agree to give your kids fruit for fiber and vitamins. If you cut them from soda and juice, make sure to be giving them extra nutrients (vitamins and minerals esp. calcium). Soda, soft drinks, and juice are horrible for bones, make your kids vitamin and mineral deprived, and get kids craving even more sugar. Do not give your kids money to buy these things at school either!

But on top of that, when dealing with children, you have to remember that if you tell a kid they can't have something, they will be tempted to get it on their own. Just saying no, soda is bad for you, or no, candy is bad doesn't mean they wont get it. If people are going to remove these things from their children, then there needs to be explanations about WHY. And make sure the children understand it. If not, school can be a very easy place for kids to get things their parents wont give them. Money doesn't matter either, kids find ways to get what they want. Bartering (at least when I was in school "i'll give you this for your that"
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member

But on top of that, when dealing with children, you have to remember that if you tell a kid they can't have something, they will be tempted to get it on their own. Just saying no, soda is bad for you, or no, candy is bad doesn't mean they wont get it. If people are going to remove these things from their children, then there needs to be explanations about WHY. And make sure the children understand it. If not, school can be a very easy place for kids to get things their parents wont give them. Money doesn't matter either, kids find ways to get what they want. Bartering (at least when I was in school "i'll give you this for your that"

That is not necessarily true.

My sister keeps a sugar free household. My nephew is quick to tell my dad - "Grandpa I don't like that stuff, it is tooo sweet."

My nephew was breast fed and my sister made home made baby food. He has tried cookies, cakes, candy, soda, fruit juice, formula, baby food, etc.............and didn't like any of it.

My nephews favorite breakfast is home made yogurt with fruit and home made granola. He is 4, getting ready to turn 5 and go to school. He went to pre-K this past school year and he came home and told my sister that the kids in school eat yucky.

He takes his lunch so my sister knows what he is eating.
  • chgudnitz

i'm not going to deprive my children of having a sugar fix every once in a while...that is part of being a kid, :bigsmile: but sugar with reason is ok for kids.....and i cant help it if my 3 yr old is skinny lmao...he can eat constantly...and not gain a pound (he's very active)

I didn't mean to imply that skinny kids are unhealthy. I meant it in if we make our kids unhealthy or don't give them the best possible nutrition just in the name of weight, then we are doing them an injustice. I don't promote sugar with my kid. I would him rather never eat candy or soda or anything else bad for him, because I don't want him to EVER deal with what I dealt with as on overweight kid. But I won't stop him from having a little bit of it. We let him have fruit juice, I don't drink it myself, but he does. He is limited to 4 ounces a day. My kid is skinny, and I hope he stays that way. But I know he is healthy, and I knew he was healthy when he had his baby fat.

I know thats kind of a ramble, but when it comes to kids it means a lot ot me. What a parent does at an early age can SERIOUSLY impact the eating and nutrition of their children for the rest of their lives.
  • chgudnitz

That is not necessarily true.

My sister keeps a sugar free household. My nephew is quick to tell my dad - "Grandpa I don't like that stuff, it is tooo sweet."

My nephew was breast fed and my sister made home made baby food. He has tried cookies, cakes, candy, soda, fruit juice, formula, baby food, etc.............and didn't like any of it.

My nephews favorite breakfast is home made yogurt with fruit and home made granola. He is 4, getting ready to turn 5 and go to school. He went to pre-K this past school year and he came home and told my sister that the kids in school eat yucky.

He takes his lunch so my sister knows what he is eating.

No offense, but he's 4 and still listens to mommy and daddy or whoever he looks up to. Let him be 9, or 10, or whatever age, have peer pressure, his own decision making ability, realize that maybe mommy and daddy aren't the end all be all, then see what happens. Maybe that cookie will taste good when all of his friends are eating them.

Maybe not, maybe he is unique and special. Good luck with that. But what I said is indeed true for the vast majority of children.