I want to be a runner! HELP

Options

Replies

• IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I can't find any kind of 5k run near me! Is there a web site or something?

My local running store sponsors and keeps a calendar of local 5ks.......you might try your local running store and see if they have a website.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/index.shtml

Here is the link to couch to 5k. It's awesome!
  • w2bab
    w2bab Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    This is a great C25K program. It's 9 free podcasts that you download and listen to. I've never been a runner, even as a kid. I finish week 2 tomorrow. http://runningintoshape.com/5k-training-downloads/
  • folgore35
    folgore35 Posts: 22
    Options
    Don't run so to eat whatever you want. Run and live a healthy lifestyle and it will happen. That's when the change occurred for me. Now I love it, love it, love it.

And start slow and give yourself lots of grace.
  • 1horsetown
    1horsetown Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Runner's World. Race Finder.

http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/racefinder/1,7151,s6-239-283-284-0-0-0-0-0,00.html

I've found several here.
  • Eleisabelle
    Eleisabelle Posts: 365
    Options
    I agree. Couch to 5K made me a runner. Bridge to 10K made me a more serious runner. And now, Active.com and the personal challenge to run a half-marathon (and eventually a full marathon) have made me a happy runner.

Sometimes it's the venue. I hate running on a treadmill, and don't generally stick to a program if I have to run inside. When I got myself the equipment for running outdoors in cooler weather, that was a breakthrough. I love being in nature. I also found I make greater leaps and gains if I do serious strength and flexibility training between run days. Beating your own personal record is a real high.

If you're the opposite, find things that make it fun. Fartleks are a great exercise while running that make it fun and challenging. Sprints, hill runs, other personal challenges... you can find ways to make it more fun. And if you love being social, find a running training program with other people, or run with a friend.

One last bit of advice to love running--don't feel like you have to go all out when you first start. If you're barely running faster than you can walk, that's a fine start. Most people who want to run lose motivation because they push themselves too hard to start out with, and it's painful and frustrating. Take it slow. If you do C25K, don't be afraid to repeat weeks, run slower than some people walk, etc. And don't forget to take rest days. If you run every day when you first start, you're pushing yourself too hard and cruising for an injury. Take your time and feel the good it does your body. The runner's high can't be beat...
  • kelseystew
    kelseystew Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Also look into a running group! I am not sure where you are located but in Canada we have a store called the Running Room that put on training courses specfic to train for a certain race, I believe they might twice a week, and you have a proper running coach. Running with a group gives you accountability and running with a proper running coach will ensure you start slow and build up properly so you won't injure yourself etc. :) You can also meet awesome people through it and hopefully come out with a running buddy or two!
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Depends on where you live--I live in Arkansas and there is a website called ArkansasRunner.com or .org maybe. Just do a search.
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options

active.com
  • dpowell58
    dpowell58 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I never exercised, much less ran, growing up or as an adult but in my dreams I could run like the wind. A fellow teacher at my school hosts a running club each year for the 4th and 5th grade students so this year I volunteered to "help" him with the running club. When I started on January 17th, I couldn't even run from the front of our school down the driveway to the road (about 20 yards). Last Wednesday I turned 54 years old and on Thursday I ran two whole miles without stopping. It was a slow progress but it was progress. I tried Couch to 5K (and it is a great program) but I needed more motivation and push to challenge myself. I have registered for my first 5K at the end of April and am nervous and excited all rolled into one. I still don't "LOVE" to run yet but I do love how I feel when I finish running and can see how far I've come. I tried C25K using my treadmill. It might work better if you have somewhere to run outside and even better if you have someone to run with. Good Luck!
  • drcoleman
    drcoleman Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yet another vote for Couch to 5K. There are some good smartphone apps that make it even easier; they basically tell you when to start walking and start running. When I began C to 5k, I couldn't run half a lap without being absolutely winded. After I finished the program, I've been able to run over 3 miles with ease. Just stick with it and you'll get there!
  • jessica05h
    Options
    stick with it. I hated running, too, but decided I wanted to be "a runner" and just gutted through my runs even though I hated them. After a while I figured out that I didn't hate running anymore. Then after another while, I figured out that I loved it. Just stick with it!!!

Same for me. I have been running for just over a year. One day I realized I hadn't run in a week and I started having withdrawals. It helps if you can find a nice park with eye candy too... :)
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options

Check out runningintheusa.com
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options

You can try active.com
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I was the same way! I used to not be able to run an entire lap around a track without wanting to jump off a bridge, now I'm addicted! My best advice is to sign up for a race. I signed up for a 5K about 3 months away and then for a half marathon 6 months away. I used Hal Higdon's beginner 5K program and stretched it out a bit, allowing for extra time at the beginning to get my running base up. Having that race goal ahead of you will help SO much!
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options

www.runningintheusa.com is full of races. you can sort by state, distance, date, etc. It has proven to be the most valuable website for me in my quest to do a half marathon in every state.
  • courtney131
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your help and encouraging words!
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I've never tried the C25K, but I've heard great things about it. I started out running 1 minute and walking 5 minute intervals for a total of 30 minutes. Each week I would increase my run time and decrease my walk time. I am now at 3 minute run and 3 minute walk. It works well for me and it has made running a lot easier. :D
  • Crystal0827
    Crystal0827 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I posted something very similar today....check out my posting and all of the GREAT advice I got!!!! Good Luck!
  • Juliet_622
    Juliet_622 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    My entire life I've hated running. Even when I was in great shape. I just hate it so so much. But I want to be the person who just loves to run, and needs to run. Any suggestions??

All the people suggesting the C25K are right. It's a great way to get started. But to be the person who loves to run? I was in your position a few years ago. I hated running with a passion, but a girlfriend wanted me to start running with her. I put her off for awhile, and she was persistent! Then she found a race that was a race "made for me." The Chocolate Race. Along with water stations there are chocolate stations on the race and at the post-race you get more chocolate. Who wouldn't run for chocolate!?

So to be the person who loves to run, I suggest finding a race that sounds like a lot of fun and isn't so focused on "how fast can I finish." It'll keep you motivated for sure. I spent the summer training for the race, ran the 14K and loved it. And now I enjoy running (most days)!

Best of luck!