Need to figure out the problem here...

Options
foxggren
foxggren Posts: 33 Member
So, I'm 26 female 5'7"

Most of my adult life I have hovered around 150 but the last two years I've been hovering around 160 and I cannot seem to get these 10lbs off.

I eat quite well, my day yesterday:

Fat free yogurt and granola
Turkey club on a wrap
Roasted Branzino with asparagus
3 glasses of white wine (ok, probably should have only had 1)

I go to the gym for cardio/weight training about 3 days week
Ride horses for 1hr 2 times a week
And do yoga at least 1 time a week

I'm guessing my job has something to do with it. I work for myself at home as a web designer - so long hours at the computer.

I've also considered that I'm not eating enough... sometimes I wait too long to eat and this may be slowing my metabolism.

Any input, suggestions, ideas are welcome.

Thanks!

Replies

• whitesage2233
    Options
    the food portion is that all you eat all day? Looks like one meal to me. Otherwise the rest looks pretty good.
  • foxggren
    Options
    Yes, that is breakfast, lunch and dinner. Maybe I'm not eating enough...?
  • dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Definitely need to eat more! Your diary is locked so I don't know what your calorie goal is or if yesterday's food is your norm. Lots of us have sit-all-day office jobs and still eat a lot more than that!
  • foxggren
    Options
    Ok, I just made my dairy public. But I haven't logged anything in over 6 mos. I'll start logging again and see if you guys can see a problem.
  • foxggren
    Options
    Trying to eat more! Logged the last three days.. trying to eat incredibly well.
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    You are eating well under your calorie goal. That can sometimes be okay for people who have a lot to lose, but it almost never works for people closer to their goal weight. Were I in your position, I would try to eat very close to my goal calories every day.
  • hendermm
    hendermm Posts: 2
    Options
    Your diet looks fantastic. If you're looking for a way to add in more exercise without disrupting your day you could look into a portable elliptical or stepper to keep under your desk. You'd be amazed how much cardio you can do when you aren't paying attention.

Good Luck!
  • missigus
    missigus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...I eat similar to you- same 1200 calorie setting. I don't eat back all my exercise calories either, just cuz I don't trust the calorie burn counts completely. I've been losing pretty consistently though. The only thing that i do that may be different is that I raise my calories twice a week to about 1500-1600 calories. That seems to work for me, I think it gives my metabolism a little boost and keeps it guessing! You could try that...

I love your horse! I'm just starting to ride dressage again after many years. This is a little off topic, but do you log your riding hours as exercise? I have been, and wondered if other riders were doing that too LOL!

Any way i hope you get it figured out. If you're looking for another riding friend go ahead and send me a request!
  • jennkess
    jennkess Posts: 86
    Options
    It looks like you are not eating enough. I get your BMR at 1533 per day. I would google BMR and TDEE. Fitness frog has a pretty good calculator and description of what each number means for you weight loss.

Good luck
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd say less processed foods.
  • foxggren
    Options
    Hey missigus! Thanks.. he's my friend's horse, he's a lot of fun! I love dressage, great way to learn to have a good seat for riding. I do log my riding as exercise. Although it's a heck of a lot more fun than the elliptical machine, I'm still all sweaty after... so I must be doing some exercise! I like your suggestion about bigger food days twice a week. This might sound weird, but I'm actually finding it hard to eat enough calories. I guess I just don't have a huge appetite.

chrystee - most everything I eat is not processed. Whole vegetables, fruits, organic as often as possible and farmer's market all summer! I'm also lucky enough to live near an organic, humane-certified butcher as well.
  • MadusaCait
    MadusaCait Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Chystee's got a point. 10 pounds could be water retention. So upping your water considerably and monitoring the sodium you're consuming might be worthy of an experiment.

If you are truly interested in seeing results. Dump the booze, in fact I would venture that if your are consuming 3 glasses of wine everyday, that's going to be the culprit. And if your three glasses of wine add up to a bottle, like me, then your are consuming 540 calories, on average, in a day in wine alone, which is just under half of your 1200 calorie plan!

Yeesh, just writing this down has helped me realize that while my sister-in-law was over from England the 5 pounds I gained were entirely due to vino.

So I hope this helped you!

Cheers.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Chystee's got a point. 10 pounds could be water retention. So upping your water considerably and monitoring the sodium you're consuming might be worthy of an experiment.

If you are truly interested in seeing results. Dump the booze, in fact I would venture that if your are consuming 3 glasses of wine everyday, that's going to be the culprit. And if your three glasses of wine add up to a bottle, like me, then your are consuming 540 calories, on average, in a day in wine alone, which is just under half of your 1200 calorie plan!

Yeesh, just writing this down has helped me realize that while my sister-in-law was over from England the 5 pounds I gained were entirely due to vino.

So I hope this helped you!

Cheers.

And that's if it's actually a measured "Glass" of wine. How much is a "Glass"? 8 ounces? 6 ounces? Wine is loaded with sugar. Heaven knows the exact number of calories she's drinking. Me on the other hand- would much rather eat my calories than drink them with mucho empty calories. JMHO.
  • missigus
    missigus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    This might sound weird, but I'm actually finding it hard to eat enough calories. I guess I just don't have a huge appetite.

Think an extra protein bar or add more almonds or some trail mix with dried fruit, on those days I up my calories I'll enjoy a skinny cow ice cream sandwich, it makes me feel sooo indulgent. Or you could even add in a piece or two of dark chocolate, if you like it. It does have great health benefits.

I know people are concerned with the wine, but we do need to indulge a bit. As long as it's not all the time... That's why I up my calories 2x a week. I don't think I could do this if I didn't have a little wiggle room with out going too crazy from time to time!
  • foxggren
    Options
    I think you guys are completely right about the wine. I haven't been drinking at all this week! No booze! Just coffee and water :)

missigus - we're right on the same page... I bought some Luna bars for this week just to fill in the gaps!
  • MadusaCait
    MadusaCait Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Personally, my measure is one finger width from the top of the glass. ; ) However a legal serving measure for wine is 6 oz, in Canada. That being said, 540 calories is the average for a 750 ml (usual size) bottle of wine.