I want to be a runner! HELP

Options
13»

Replies

• shar0006
    shar0006 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My friend who's a physical trainer told to me to start small. Example: Warm up 5 minutes, stretch, and then walk two minutes (faster pace) and then jogg for a minute or two, then catch your breath and try again. Seeing the progression is a great feeling.

I went from hating to run, to doing half marathons (in fact I'm looking for my next one). I just recommend listening to your body, if your knees are hurting, take care of them!

Also always wear good shoes, get your feet analyzed by a shoe store, and always make sure you replace them. New shoes are cheaper than knee surgery!

Disney races are awesome and fun!
  • Babs0077
    Babs0077 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K is a great place to start! I always suggest it to my newly running friends. I agree with checking out a 5K in your area. They seem to be EVERYWHERE this time of year. Your local running store will have lots of information on them. Fleet Feet is a national running store (I think?). They always have a good list! Runners World has a link to find races too! I have days where I love it, and I also have days where I hate it. It's those days that I hate it, that I'm always glad I did it at the end..... I'm lucky enough to live in an area that has converted old railways to running trails..... :love:
  • JanineHarrison
    JanineHarrison Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting the right gear for your body; the right shoes for your pronantion, comfortable/supportive sports bras, etc. You want to be able to focus on your form and your body, not pain from your girls getting to much shock impact or pants riding up your rear. Shoes are a big deal. You don't have to run out and buy a $150 pair to start, maybe save those shoes for a reward for commitment (i hear it does make a difference), but get some that fit well and are made to support your running form (Google pronation) so you can avoid injuries. Also a tracking mechanism might be nice. You can spend tons of money on GPS based devices but even something as simple as a "track my jog"-type phone app is good. I got the Nike+ for my iPod and it worked just fine for the extent of what I was doing.
  • Bviera
    Bviera Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've often heard from people that running is one of those things that you either love or you hate and there's no way to change your mind about it. I have to say, I've always hated running. I enjoy walking and speedwalking, but running I just find very boring, even with music. So my friend and I decided to start C25K last year and when I completed it, I was VERY proud of having developed the ability to actually run for 30 minutes straight. That said, I still don't love running. I enjoy the feeling I get when I'm done and I love the burst of energy and pride in myself. But running itself? Still boring for me.

This year, my friend and I decided to start C25K again, hoping the interval training would kick start our weightloss after plateauing for about 6 months. Since I know I'm capable of it, the second time around I'm working on building a bit of speed. I'm actually finding myself semi-enjoying the runs a bit more this time around. Still not loving it, but I could see myself maybe *liking* it a bit down the road.

My recommendation is to find the C25K schedule and give it a shot. Find a friend to motivate you. Do it on a treadmill, even. It'll be hard at first, so DON'T be afraid to slow down to a light jog if you're feeling overwhelmed or tired. Don't be afraid to repeat a week if you don't think you can move up to the next one. Concentrate on your breathing and posture so you don't get side stiches or injuries. And keep going even if you hate it. You may end up being like me and actually warming up to it after a while!
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    You need to get properly fitted for the running shoes right for your feet. Go to a reputable running store and have them analyze your gait. These stores are not typically the ones you find in the mall. They are usually independently owned with employees who run.

They'll watch you run (on a treadmill or their parking lot) then begin selecting shoes for you. Try on many pairs and run in all of them. Get some wick away socks while you're there, too. They are worth their weight in gold.

Getting the right shoes for your feet isn't an expenditure ... it's an investment.
  • Toxictwist
    Toxictwist Posts: 274
    Options
    I used the Couch to 5k app.
    Random times i would run 1 minute, walk 1. etc etc or run 2 min walk 30 seconds.

I just got up to 15 min running without stopping.
    Every little bit of effort is worth it :)
  • JohnnysJune
    Options
    I was wondering how to become a runner as well. Thanks for posting this. That couch to 5K seems do able!
  • stepgirl0705
    stepgirl0705 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I used to hate running, but about 7 years ago decided to shake up my cardio and do a 5K.....now full marathon, dozens of halves, and 100's 5k's later....
    The trick for me was to channel my inner competitiveness...once I started doing that, I was able to stick with it until one day I experienced that "Runners High" everyone kept talking about. It was one of the greatest feelings. Accomplishment, happiness, pride, all of that rolled into one. Now when I don't get my long run in during the weekend, mondays are not very happy!

Good Luck. Running is one of the best community activities you can find, plus its good for you and it doesn't matter how fast you go. There is always someone at your pace. Plus, any speed you go, you are running circles around the peeps sitting on the couch!
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Okay - now I have a question. The C25K website I found had a 12 week program. The app I found is an 8 week program. The podcasts are a 9 week program. WTH? Which one do I do? Has anyone had success with the 8 week app from C2K Free by Zen Labs?
  • Iluvchopsticks
    Iluvchopsticks Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I can't find any kind of 5k run near me! Is there a web site or something?

I use runningintheusa.com to find races. You can use active.com as well, a lot of races use them for registration.
  • warrenvalley
    warrenvalley Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Three years ago, I only ran when chased but I decided to do C25K (9-week program) because I wasn't getting any younger. The day I set out to do the first 20-minute run, I said goodbye my family like I would never come back! I only ran on the treadmill and was focused on the timer the entire time. I still didn't like running, but I could run a 5K.

About two years later, I started run/walking with a couple of friends. That made me start to like running. Because we were always talking, I never overdid it on the pace and got some "girl time" in. Last fall we ran a half marathon. Now that I'm better at it I enjoy it and will run alone or with other people.

Start with C25K so you CAN run. There there are a lot of way running can be fun - running with friends, enjoying the outdoors, competing. Find one of those that is fun for you.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Okay - now I have a question. The C25K website I found had a 12 week program. The app I found is an 8 week program. The podcasts are a 9 week program. WTH? Which one do I do? Has anyone had success with the 8 week app from C2K Free by Zen Labs?

Do the one that works for you, and don't feel bad about modifying it for you. If you don't feel ready to move on to the next week, then repeat a week.

I had never heard of C25K when I started running, but was apparently doing something very close to it. I went from no running to doing my first 5K in 8 or 9 weeks.
  • everydaymom1982
    Options
    My advice is to start really slow. Run at a slow pace and pick a short goal (like once or twice around a track) or a half mile. Even just run/walk for a while. The treadmill is not always a good judge of whether you like running or not. I have to utilize the treadmill once in awhile due to scheduling and weather issues and it's so much harder and much more boring than running outside. If I had to do all my runs on the treadmill, I would hate running.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I do the majority of my runs on the treadmill due to my knees. Just gotta have good music and a good imagination. :smile: