I need help with low carbing...high protein.

Options
ojell
ojell Posts: 749 Member
First of all, I'm on a budget so I need ideas on how to eat this way for cheap.

I eat too many carbs and too much sugar and too much fat.

I want to try and go low carb, low sugar, low fat, high protein.

Please give me tips on meal ideas, tips on how to stick with it, tips on how to save money, etc.

Replies

• EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    costco... huge bag of mixed veggies $8... 2kg of chicken breast $18.99 (both should last you 1 week...) n there lots more there for a good price...
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    eat things that had a mother
  • angelareads
    Options
    Hi, I'm trying to eat lower carbs, around 40g per meal. I have found that soup (read the labels!) are a good way to reduce carbs and fat. It's easy to make a big batch of soup, then freeze portions. That way you can enjoy it often without having to prepare a meal. My sister in law gave me a great tip, to prepare salad fixings one day of the week then it's easy to put a salad together each day. Just buy a big head of lettuce, cut it up and put in ziploc bag (with a few holes punched in it to get some air through it), then cute up some veggies you like and put them in containers or ziploc bags too. Then you can just pull out what you want. Hard boil some eggs for the week too. Then when it's time for lunch/dinner just pull everything out and put it together! Add some lean turkey lunch meat or the eggs and you've added protein. Buy Low Cal (non creamy) dressing and have it on the side. Dip your fork into the dressing rather than pour the dressing on the salad. Make salad ingredients ahead of time also makes it easy to put a salad together for work rather than eat out :)

Here is my favorite Low Carb soup recipe from "8 Grams or Less Low-Carb Recipes" by Better Homes & Gardens:

Vegetable Beef Soup
    Prep: 5 min Cook: 1 1/2 hours Makes 6 servings

1 pound beef stew meat or boneless beef chuck roast , cut into 3/4" cubes
    1 tablespoon cooking oil
    3 14-ounce cans beef broth
    1 14 1/2-ounce can dice tomatoes with basil, oregano, and garlic, undrained
    1 16-ounce package frozen loose-pack broccoli, green beans, pearl onions, and red sweet pepper.

In a Dutch oven brown meat, half at a time, in hot oil (add additional oil, if necessary). Return all meat to Dutch oven. Stir in beef broth and undrained tomatoes. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours or until meat is tender.

Stir in vegetables. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 5 minutes more or until vegetables are just tender.

my tips: I like to use fresh broccoli, rather than frozen. A 16 oz package of pearl onions are way to many!! I only use 1/4 of a bag, or just dice up 1/4 - 1/2 cup of fresh yellow or white onions. My kids don't like red sweet pepper so I just leave it out and it still tastes good.

Nutrition facts per serving: 179 cal. 6g total fat, 45mg chol., 1,095mg sodium, 11g carbs, 2g fiber, 20g protein.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I feel the need to tell you this, sorry if you already know... Low-carb high-protein is a lifestyle, not a diet. If you ever go back to eating lots of carbs/sugars, you will put weight on.

A low-carb high-protein diet means fats are ESSENTIAL. You can't do high-protein and low-fat in a healthy way because protein and fat, in nature, go hand-in-hand. When your body stops burning carbohydrates as fuel, the next thing it looks to is FAT.

What UponThisRock said rings very true - People who do well on high protein diets are the ones who regularly eat meat/fish/eggs. I hope this doesn't sound gross to you, but on a budget, organ meats are some of the best things you can eat - they are super cheap and abundant in nutrition.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that you need to eat only lean meats (turkey and chicken). It's fine to eat beef and pork. When you are cutting out macronutrients from your diet, in this case carbohydrates, you need to balance out your diet by increasing other macronutrient ratios - in this case fat and protein. Otherwise, you are really just eating less.

I really like angelareads' idea for soup. Soup is awesome because a little goes a long way, and it can last you for a whole week. One of my favorite things is meatball soup :) There are lots of recipes for this on allrecipes or eatingwell.com. What about delicious chili??
  • Xbwalker
    Xbwalker Posts: 65
    Options
    You probably saw this on my comments since you are a friend but in case you missed it, there are some fairly low carb soup mixes from Kikkoman. I had this one this morning

http://kikkoman.elsstore.com/view/product/?id=14327&cid=959

Edit: blah! How do I link?
  • Xbwalker
    Xbwalker Posts: 65
    Options
    I feel the need to tell you this, sorry if you already know... Low-carb high-protein is a lifestyle, not a diet. If you ever go back to eating lots of carbs/sugars, you will put weight on.

A low-carb high-protein diet means fats are ESSENTIAL. You can't do high-protein and low-fat in a healthy way because protein and fat, in nature, go hand-in-hand. When your body stops burning carbohydrates as fuel, the next thing it looks to is FAT.

What UponThisRock said rings very true - People who do well on high protein diets are the ones who regularly eat meat/fish/eggs. I hope this doesn't sound gross to you, but on a budget, organ meats are some of the best things you can eat - they are super cheap and abundant in nutrition.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that you need to eat only lean meats (turkey and chicken). It's fine to eat beef and pork. When you are cutting out macronutrients from your diet, in this case carbohydrates, you need to balance out your diet by increasing other macronutrient ratios - in this case fat and protein. Otherwise, you are really just eating less.

I really like angelareads' idea for soup. Soup is awesome because a little goes a long way, and it can last you for a whole week. One of my favorite things is meatball soup :) There are lots of recipes for this on allrecipes or eatingwell.com. What about delicious chili??

^That. Don't be afraid of fat. Eat that pork! Hound on that beef!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Ditch the bread and pasta. Use only minimally processed whole grains when you eat grains, and track the amount you eat carefully.

Chicken breast, some beef roasts, tilapia, cod, pollock, haddock and other white fish are usually lost cost foods high in protien and low in fat. Soy or almond milk are good substitutes for regular milk which has more sugar.

Eat as many vegetables as possible. Buy fresh in season and on sale. Supplement with frozen, which are usually very affordable. When buying frozen read the ingredients list to be sure not to get added salt, sugar or other additives.

Avoid processed "low fat" products. The crap they use to replace fat is usually worse than fat.

Don't go too low fat. Fat does have lots of calories but your body needs it.
  • ojell
    Options
    You probably saw this on my comments since you are a friend but in case you missed it, there are some fairly low carb soup mixes from Kikkoman. I had this one this morning

http://kikkoman.elsstore.com/view/product/?id=14327&cid=959

Edit: blah! How do I link?

That looks super yummy! :)
  • nikkisa10
    nikkisa10 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Going 2 Costo or Sam's Club (I don't have a Costco) is a great idea. Also, as far as eating low carb, try eating starchy carbs about 45 mins after your workout & when u wake up & then eat lean protein & nonstarchy veggies the rest of the day...if u incorporate fruit, then have 1/2 starchy carb with 1/2 fruit with your meal when u wake up & with ur meal after u workout.....
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    bump for later!
  • IPAfan5
    IPAfan5 Posts: 27
    Options
    Eggs $2.49 per 18
    Tuna $0.99 per 3oz can
    Frozen Chicken Breasts $6.99 per 3 pound bag
    Greek Yogurt (Non-Flavored) $0.99 per little container
    Cottage Cheese (Don't know price off the top of my head)
    Cheese (Price Depends on variety and brand)
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Protein 5lb Tub $0.77 per serving

This list should get you started.

5lbs of protein will last 71 servings so about a month for me
    Everything else costs me about $40-$50 per week so with protein powder a total of $250-$300 a month on groceries that are super high in protein and very low in carbs.
  • Buttercupmcgee
    Buttercupmcgee Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have the same dilemma--I'll reiterate the Greek yogurt thing, it's very filling and high protein. I add a small spoonful of peanut butter to mine for double the protein punch.

Last night for dinner I experimented with a no-carbs mix of chicken, veggies, fruit, and string cheese...I was surprisingly satisfied.

They also make lower carb bread, something I learned on here this week!
  • ojell
    Options
    So what should my carb protein fat ratio be?
  • gadzukks
    gadzukks Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    cans of tuna are a cheap way to up your protein intake.