Anyone run outside after work?

Options
Amy_B
Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
Do you find that you are motivated to run after work just fine? Does the weather affect your workout? When do you do dinner? Do you have kids?

The reason I ask is because while I've been on summer break as a teacher, I usually run in the mid-mornings. Well, I return to work next week, but I want to continue my jogging. I won't get home until close to 5pm and will still need to cook dinner. Plus, it's going to be pretty hot and humid this week, so I am worried about the weather. I really prefer to exercise in the mornings, but I don't see myself out running at 4am before the sun comes up since I run on country roads. Oh, and I have three kids to tend to. Any thoughts? I would like to jog 3x/week. I plan on getting a gym membership in September, but I don't know for sure that I'll be able to go enough to jog there either since I would like to take at least one class.

Thanks!

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I find that if I leave my workouts to the end of the day I don't do them. I have 1 kid and 1 husband, that is like a kid. I get at 4:30 am and run with a headlight. At the end of the day, there is cooking dinner, bath's, etc...that I am concerned with. I tried running at lunch, but right now it is in the 90's up until 10pm. Even on weekends, like today, I got up at 5am to run. I will be leaving soon.
  • Amy_B
    Options
    I was thinking I might be able to get up at 4am and drive about five minutes to a local school. I know most schools keep the outside lights on all night. I also prefer to workout in the mornings.

Oh, if you workout in the mornings, do you have time to eat beforehand? If so, what do you eat, and how long before you workout do you eat?
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I admire your discipline, getting up so early to workout!! Do you find you're able to get to bed early enough?
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I too teach, and I run at about 6pm or 7pm. I have lunch at 1pm and then snack around 4. Usually, if I run later (closer to 7) I'll have one slice of wheat toast with peanut butter before I run, too. I find this is the best time of night- the temp and humidity are decreased. Then, after I shower we have dinner.

I have no kids, but it works for me... good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • stephcheers
    Options
    I'm just gonna say; it's very hard to make it work. I too have young kids and my other half works long and crazy hours...plus he's in the National Guard and gone over nights occasionally. I struggle all the time trying to make exercise work into running a house, raising kids and working full time.

I don't have any great ideas except as often as I can (about once a week) I recruit a friend or family member to watch the kids while I go do a "long" run. Other than that I have to fit in shorter work-outs on lunch breaks. I'm thinking I might join a gym that has child care (the one I belong to now doesn't offer it). But I love to run outside when the weather is nice.

Being a mom is a sacrifice, but good for you for trying to keep your health in the mix. Your efforts are a great example to your kids!
  • Amy_B
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I was thinking I might run T, Th, and Sat when my husband gets home from work (also a teacher, but at a different school). I might also try to workout in the mornings at 4am, but we'll see how that works. I plan on doing DVDs M, W, F for cardio and then TTh for strength.
  • abredbenner
    abredbenner Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm Amy B too! I run after work but I work form home and have no kids so it is not a problem. I live in Houston so I have to worry about the heat and humidity in the summer. I usually eat dinner early ~5 and then run between 6:30 and 7. On Saturdays, when I do a longer run, I try to get up early to get it over with so nothing can interfere. Good luck!
  • Amy_B
    Options
    I'm Amy B too! I run after work but I work form home and have no kids so it is not a problem. I live in Houston so I have to worry about the heat and humidity in the summer. I usually eat dinner early ~5 and then run between 6:30 and 7. On Saturdays, when I do a longer run, I try to get up early to get it over with so nothing can interfere. Good luck!
    LOL on the names! I think I can make it work 2x per week during the week and on one weekend day. I will do videos the other days.
  • cc_campbell81
    Options
    I take my 1 yr old daughter and walk after dinner. I walk about 1 hr and burn 200-300 calories. It's nice to have the time with her and get exercise and it helps make her sleepy for bed time.
  • Emmyleww
    Emmyleww Posts: 278
    Options
    I don't have kids but my running partner does and she's a teacher. We usually run 2x during the week and run one morning on the weekends. It's too hard for her to get more in than that. We both prefer to run in the mornings but it's too hard to get up early enough. We've been running around 5pm all summer because we wait for her husband to get home to watch their son. We are usually only gone for a total of an hour which includes our walking and running and drive time. I wait to eat until I get home from running. I think she might have a snack for herself and her son before we run then they all eat dinner around 6 or 7pm. Her son is only 1yr so it's probably a little easier for her than with older kids. I just know she likes to make sure they eat by 7 so there's time for bath and stories and down time. We also contend with the heat and humidity and sometimes it's a hinderance but we do what we can and if we have to we walk. I hope you can stick with it. It will be worth it to you if you can.
    Good Luck!
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I was thinking I might be able to get up at 4am and drive about five minutes to a local school. I know most schools keep the outside lights on all night. I also prefer to workout in the mornings.

Oh, if you workout in the mornings, do you have time to eat beforehand? If so, what do you eat, and how long before you workout do you eat?

I actually eat before and after.
    An example would be 1 toast w/peanut butter, 2 eggs and some fruit beforehand. by the time I am done eating that it takes me a few minutes to get my clothes on then I walk to the waterfront which takes about 20 minutes so my food has time to digest before I actually start running. Then when I get home I usually have something small as well... like yogurt and fruit.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I run outside, after work and after a 1.5 hr commute home. It is definitely a challenge to find enough hrs in the day. I do not have children which makes things a bit easier. On the days I work out (run or exercise classes) I do eat quite late, around 7-8pm which isn't great but I don't feel I have many other options. I am going to start cutting back on the distance of my runs (I have been told I am overtraining) and that should help me eat earlier. My hubby has been pretty good about cooking if I ask him to. In terms of motivation, I like to run after work because it feels great to get my body moving after a long day sitting and it is a great opportunity to contemplate my day and relieve stress. I've thought about running in the morning but I would have to get up way too early and I don't like the idea of running along in the dark.

Anyways, best of luck. I'm sure you will find a way to make this work in your dailt routine.:flowerforyou:
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options

I actually eat before and after.
    An example would be 1 toast w/peanut butter, 2 eggs and some fruit beforehand. by the time I am done eating that it takes me a few minutes to get my clothes on then I walk to the waterfront which takes about 20 minutes so my food has time to digest before I actually start running. Then when I get home I usually have something small as well... like yogurt and fruit.

I get up at 4:30 am and run with a headlamp. I have a glass of water, hummus on bread before I exercise. After I workout I have oatmeal, yogurt and chocolate milk. It keeps me energized to start my day. If I don't eat enough after working out, I am useless.