Lost 7 lbs since last Thursday by eating MORE!

Options

Replies

• abetter_me
    abetter_me Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    This is Great!
  • sweetnilla
    sweetnilla Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Bump....good stuff
  • EoinMag
    EoinMag Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have a question....what if you don't have much to lose? Do you think you would still lose as quickly as some have by up'ing your cals? I have 12-15 pounds to lose.

Think about it, how can you lose weight by eating more calories? It's a nonsense.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I have a question....what if you don't have much to lose? Do you think you would still lose as quickly as some have by up'ing your cals? I have 12-15 pounds to lose.

Think about it, how can you lose weight by eating more calories? It's a nonsense.

It is not nonsense. Read this thread and others like it to hear aout many many cases where this has in fact happened. You can lose weight by upping your calories - it may (bit not always) be a little slower, but you lose it in a healthier and more sustainable way (i.e. the weight you lose is more likely to be lean muscle and less likely to be fat on a restricted lower calorie diet). Basically, as long as you are at a deficit you will lose - but you also should be cognizant of what you lose (fat v lean body mass).
  • EoinMag
    Options

It is not nonsense. Read this thread and others like it to hear aout many many cases where this has in fact happened. You can lose weight by upping your calories - it may (bit not always) be a little slower, but you lose it in a healthier and more sustainable way (i.e. the weight you lose is more likely to be lean muscle and less likely to be fat on a restricted lower calorie diet). Basically, as long as you are at a deficit you will lose - but you also should be cognizant of what you lose (fat v lean body mass).

Not if you are a person who is in the overweight category, I repeat it is nonsense. Someone who is overweight is nowhere near starvation, hell in the West we hardly know what starvation is.

The fat reserves will go a long time before the muscle is attacked and starvation mode kicks in.

It's a myth and should not be perpetuated. People who claim to lose more by eating more are not telling the whole story and there are other factors in play.

Someone posted a link on one of the other threads on this subject that quite comprehensively put paid to the myth, relating to starvation studies done in the USA a good few years back.
  • sophsw
    sophsw Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Very interesting advice. Bump
  • EoinMag
    Options
    Google search, "the Myth of the starvation mode"

Take your pick of articles.
  • liamsmummy09
    liamsmummy09 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RedKH
    RedKH Posts: 58
    Options
    Bumpety Bump! :-D
  • rustyfla
    rustyfla Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue.

I had lost 48 lbs eating about 1000 calories per day and exercising on the elliptical for 45 minutes 6 days a week.

Then I stopped losing weight for a couple months, last month only lost 3 lbs, then gained it back.
    Also had started lifting weights a month ago.

Had me baffled, since i was eating 6 times per day and mostly lean meats.

I took the advice on here and did my BMR and upped my calories to 2000 per day,
    and have dropped 2 lbs in the last few days. Finally!
  • ncgirl1978
    ncgirl1978 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thats great!! I've been only eating around 1,000 to 1,300 a day not really on purpose but because i'm trying to make smarter choices and trying to quit eating when i'm full. Do most mfp members only watch the calories or are yall really firm on fat intake as well? There's still alot that i'm learning. I've mostly been eating what I want (in reason) as long as I don't go over 1500 calories a day.
  • Jme2012
    Jme2012 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    bump
  • neesie0358
    neesie0358 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I eat ~1,200 every day throughout the week because I have a very sedentary job. On the weekends I usually up that to atleast 1,600. Needless to say it's worked for me and gotten me outta the 5 month plateau I hit back in November. :)
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Bump. I just upped my calories too.
  • CountryGir33
    Options
    So are we suppose to eat the BMR calories or the calorie intake that it told us when we set up our account? At set up my calorie intake is 1810. I normally eat less than that. My BMR calorie intake is over 2000.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Thats great!! I've been only eating around 1,000 to 1,300 a day not really on purpose but because i'm trying to make smarter choices and trying to quit eating when i'm full. Do most mfp members only watch the calories or are yall really firm on fat intake as well? There's still alot that i'm learning. I've mostly been eating what I want (in reason) as long as I don't go over 1500 calories a day.

In my opinion - its calories first, macros second.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hanahlai
    hanahlai Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    bump for courage :-)
  • Amanda_Rae_Rae
    Options
    bump
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!