No goals + No deadlines = weight loss success?

Options
jkb1129
jkb1129 Posts: 45 Member
I'm experiencing an interesting phenomenon....when I started my fitness/weight loss journey back in January, I didn't set a weight loss goal or a target date for achieving "a healthier me." Instead, I just decided I would be consistent with my workouts and log food religiously through MFP. As a result of this, I've lost ten pounds and am not waivering AT ALL on my workout plan or eating habits.

This is a completely different approach from anything I've done before - I ALWAYS set a final weight loss goal/deadline and then mini goals along the way. But this time, there's less pressure and instead of saying "my plan says I should've lost two pounds this week and I only lost one," I get to say, "I lost a pound this week!" It's almost as if it's one small victory after another.

I'm curious - has anyone else experienced this or set out on a weight loss/fitness path with no clear goals? And if so, did it end up working for you in the long run? Right now I'm more motivated than I've ever been to continue a healthy lifestyle, and it feels great! But of course the key is to keep that motivation going and not relapse like I've done before...

Replies

• nikkijennings
    nikkijennings Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 24lbs since 3rd Jan.... with no real goal in terms of total loss or deadline!!! It's more about maintaining a healthy diet and increasing activity levels for me...... and how I feel in my clothes!!!

We need to do what's right for us as individuals!!! :-)
  • SusanleeBee
    SusanleeBee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's been like that for me too. I have a rough idea of my goal weight, but no deadline or anything. I log, I workout, and it happens as it happens. Much less stressful.
  • jfl613
    jfl613 Posts: 71
    Options
    Yeah, it's been like that for me too. I have a rough idea of my goal weight, but no deadline or anything. I log, I workout, and it happens as it happens. Much less stressful.

That's me to a "T"! I find this approach to weight loss much more realistic since this is teaching me to make better choices either through substituting or portion control. I do need "policing", though. That is why I joined MFP. I need to be held accountable for what I eat and facing my computer screen every week at weight tracking time.
  • jkb1129
    Options
    I have lost over 24lbs since 3rd Jan.... with no real goal in terms of total loss or deadline!!! It's more about maintaining a healthy diet and increasing activity levels for me...... and how I feel in my clothes!!!

We need to do what's right for us as individuals!!! :-)

24 pounds since January - you rock!!! :) You're right on with noticing how you feel in your clothes - that alone is a huge reward.

Good to know this strategy works for others too!
  • jkb1129
    Options
    @jfl613 I need policing too which MFP helps with IMMENSELY! Nothing like seeing those calories add up in your diary to make you think twice about what you have to eat.
  • jfl613
    jfl613 Posts: 71
    Options
    @jfl613 I need policing too which MFP helps with IMMENSELY! Nothing like seeing those calories add up in your diary to make you think twice about what you have to eat.
    Glad to hear that I am not the only one who need policing. I love the fact that I can plan my day's intake in the morning and tweak it throughout the day to to make better choices or even cheat a little and still stay within my calorie goal for the day. Thanks for sharing!
  • Animaniac87
    Options
    When I first started I made a goal, and mini goals. But if I didn't reach my mini goals I would hate on myself for a while and gain some weight back. Only after I got rid of the goals and just focused on one lifestyle change at a time did I start seeing results. I also have a rough idea of a goal weight, but my plan is to go until I feel comfortable and happy with myself. Without the goals I'm just happy to lose a pound, and I'm not disappointed I didn't lose more. I have found that without hating on myself for not reaching my goals I am a lot more consistent in losing weight and making healthier choices.
  • jkb1129
    Options
    When I first started I made a goal, and mini goals. But if I didn't reach my mini goals I would hate on myself for a while and gain some weight back. Only after I got rid of the goals and just focused on one lifestyle change at a time did I start seeing results. I also have a rough idea of a goal weight, but my plan is to go until I feel comfortable and happy with myself. Without the goals I'm just happy to lose a pound, and I'm not disappointed I didn't lose more. I have found that without hating on myself for not reaching my goals I am a lot more consistent in losing weight and making healthier choices.

Wish there was a "like" button for posts! The same thing would happen to me before when I wouldn't meet a goal - how discouraging! I also have a rough idea of what I would "like" to weigh, but am content to take it day by day (or month by month) and see how things shape up. I think we can all agree that you've got to do whatever will help you stick to a healthy lifestyle in the long-term.
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    People ask me all the time "what's your goal weight?" (which I think is a VERY bold/rude question to ask btw) and I just tell them "I have no idea... whenever I feel like it's a good racing weight for me and I feel good about my body". I find that this frustrates them, but I don't care. Everyone is so focused on time and the finished product. Well, not everyone works like that. It took me a year to lose 50lbs, and then I maintained that loss for 5 months. Now I'm starting up again with losing. I figure however slow I go is my own business :) So what if it frustrates other people?
  • pamelad77
    pamelad77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Same here, I started in jan with a rough idea of what I'd like to weigh, but that was it. I came into this with a different attitude from previous attempts, that it was a life change, not a diet.
    I was fed up with shoving artificial, helically enhanced versions of everything down my neck and wanted to change to a more "wholesome" (sounds corny I know) life.

So far, it seems to be working. 30lbs down in 60 days. Can't complain at that!
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Rules..pressure..and stress usually cause me to fail. I've found that if I am more relaxed and easier on myself..I make better decisions (food, exercise)

I'm finally losing weight and inches now, because I'm not so hard on myself. I take it one day at a time...one meal (snack) at a time.....I move more now because I want to...I hardly wanted to do anything when I felt I had to, or was being forced to.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Yes! :smile: My goal weight of 140 is completely subject to change and I am not overly concerned about how long it takes (within reason!) This is more about me making a sustainable change from now on.
  • jlr_12
    jlr_12 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. Any other time I've tried to lose weight, I've gone into it thinking I would do it in a couple of months. I'd get frustrated because it wasn't happening quickly, and I'd give up. This time I went into it with the mindset that I just want to get healthy. If it takes a year, it takes a year...it's still better than staying overweight! I'm HOPING to be at my goal (which is very vague as well...) sometime this summer...but if it doesn't happen, I won't get discouraged, I'll just keep working until I get there!
  • hedwighigh
    hedwighigh Posts: 299
    Options
    I have a goal weight but it keeps changing so it's nothing set in stone. I've never had a deadline either, that might be why it's taken me more than a year and a half to lose 70 pounds though. Then again it may have been that 4-5 month plateau I went through :noway:

I think the lack of pressure helps though.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    yes me too!
    every time ive tried to lose before, ive made a little calendar out with how much i should have lost each week (generally 2lb week), end when i should get to my goal weight. all it takes is onw week when i didnt lose the 'right' number, then every week i would be further and further behind my targets till evenutally i thought *kitten* it and gave up!

since i started on mfp in october ive just said id like to get down to around 140lbs / size 10, and it takes as long as it takes. ive lost 36.8lbs in 24 weeks, which is maybe a little slower than i would have liked, but the higher cal level means i dont feel like im on a diet so i have no reason not to stick with this for life :-)
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Yes!! I've lost 56 pounds just eating mostly whole foods and exercising almost every day. I don't need the stress of goals. I have a general idea about my goal weight but I don't make small goals to stress myself out nor do I have a time limit for the goal weight. Every day I just try to do the best I can and I celebrate every small victory. This is what works for me.
  • llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I think it works- and probably bodes well for ongoing success! I started Nov 1, and didn't do much exercising, just watched my calorie intake, and I will admit I've had "mini" goals along the way, but they weren't caste in stone, and I didn't do too much extra to insure meeting them.... There are temptations to say things like, "I'd like to lose "this" much by my birthday," or other special occasion, but I've come to realize that it doesn't matter exactly how much I've lost by a certain time, because in any case, it's going to be WAY LESS than I weighed last year on that date!

The eating wisely and working out more becomes such a routine part of your life, when you are not consumed with goals, thus more likely becoming that "lifestyle change" we are all aiming for.... racking up pounds lost is the short-term bonus to a life-long goal of being healthier, feeling better and yes, looking better!
  • KellyJays
    Options
    I swear by this weight loss philosophy! I began my new lifestyle on February 3rd and have lost 22 pounds since then. I have an ultimate goal of where I eventually want to be but the time it takes to get there between now and then is not an issue to me. This has helped me immensely in losing weight because I'm not stressed, I'm taking my workouts at a pace that's right for me so I don't dread doing them, and I'm just eating healthier. Having no weekly goal you're forcing yourself to hit takes the stress off and it really does come off on its own. It's been awesome!
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I can relate to this so much. In previous attempts, I would set unrealistic goals and then be angry with myself when I didn't reach them. Instead of focusing on my successes, I fixated on the scale and how long it was taking me to get to that number. This kind of thinking always set me up for failure. I'm trying so hard this time around not to fall into a "diet mentality". Thanks for starting this thread. I needed the reminder!
  • kileemae
    kileemae Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree! I think sometimes when we set goals sometimes they are not set being realistic... I tend to think I can do more than reality tells me I can. I've started just eating better...being mindful...getting to the gym and have lost moreweight then when I was hounding myself about it!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!