Is this true..?

Options
Hey guys! I heard recently that women are suppose to eat more calories during their time of the month.. is this true? If so, how many more calories should I be taking in a day? Thanks! -Kim

Replies

• mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Doesn't make sense. Did the source also say why?
  • eidmomma
    eidmomma Posts: 5
    Options
    I personally have never heard of that, I know you are supposed to drink more water, but the only time you would add more is for things such as weight/resistance training
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I heard recently that women are suppose to eat more calories during their time of the month.. is this true? If so, how many more calories should I be taking in a day? Thanks! -Kim

Unless you have a valid resource from a reputable article to prove where you 'heard' this from, the only thing I have to ask is... are you really falling for that? Honestly?
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

Not sure regarding that they are "supposed" to eat more, however I know I used to crave more food and especially sugary stuff during this time, perhaps this is what was meant.
  • Kim_08
    Kim_08 Posts: 157
    Options
    That's what I thought too, but I wasn't sure. I actually read it from a random reply on a MFP thread.. She didn't go into detail about it. The woman just said that we need more calories during that time, but didn't explain why.
  • Kim_08
    Options

Unless you have a valid resource from a reputable article to prove where you 'heard' this from, the only thing I have to ask is... are you really falling for that? Honestly?

I actually read it from a random reply on a MFP thread.. She didn't go into detail about it. The woman just said that we need more calories during that time, but didn't explain why.
  • Kim_08
    Options

Not sure regarding that they are "supposed" to eat more, however I know I used to crave more food and especially sugary stuff during this time, perhaps this is what was meant.

Yeah that's what I was thinking too. Just figured I'd ask.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

I actually read it from a random reply on a MFP thread.. She didn't go into detail about it. The woman just said that we need more calories during that time, but didn't explain why.

Then I would ask that person who was crazy enough to post such a thing 'where is the reputable source of information found?' - honestly, dont fall for this crap.. its totally rediculous...
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I have heard lots of reports that say women have a higher metabolism during that time of the month. It may or may not be true, but the changes in metabolism are probably minimal. Not enough to justify eating a pound of chocolate ( :( )

There is substantiated evidence however that your appetite increases at that time, and you are prone to retaining water. I usually use it as a "cheat time" where I stop counting calories for a couple of days and without eating total junk, just give myself a break.
  • MissCheese
    MissCheese Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I absoultely crave more carbs during that time but resist over eating for the day or three that I'm affected, not always easy.
  • Kim_08
    Options
    Yeah good idea. I will have to look for it again.. thanks. I see so many comments on here from people that don't seem true, but I figured it didn't hurt to ask. :)
  • Kim_08
    Options

Then I would ask that person who was crazy enough to post such a thing 'where is the reputable source of information found?' - honestly, dont fall for this crap.. its totally rediculous...

Yeah good idea. I will have to look for it again.. thanks. I see so many comments on here from people that don't seem true, but I figured it didn't hurt to ask. :)
  • tml510
    tml510 Posts: 3
    Options
    not sure if we're "supposed" to but I sure do feel like i eat more during that time. :/
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    No offense, but that's, um, how do you say.... "KoOkY TaLk". Just eat healthy, work out, and enjoy! :D
  • Kim_08
    Options
    Okay, thanks for everyone's input. I'll just google it.
  • Dilfster
    Dilfster Posts: 434
    Options

you don't have to be rude to her.
  • Meg177
    Meg177 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/295115-calories-burned-while-on-your-period/
    http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=42321&sc=801
    http://dietitian-online.com/images/pdf/article_cravings.pdf

It sure is true. I don't know what you'd consider a reputable source but this are the first few that came up when I googled. It's not much but it can really help. It's about 100-300 calories.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    The process of purging doesn't do much. However, the cramping that often comes with can cause a slight increase in calorie burn. I certainly haven't needed to eat more, just sleep more! LOL!

I like livestrong.com. They do a good job researching things there.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    My BMR jumps but I just consider it a bonus to my workouts
  • Meg177
    Meg177 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    My BMR jumps but I just consider it a bonus to my workouts

My mom always said if you can do this that's best. Your metabolism tanks after menopause and it gets harder to lose weight after so the more you do before the better.

Some women really have a hard time with tom and, I figure, if a stuffed potato or a candy bar makes life easier for me and everyone around me, that's just what I'm going to do. You are bleeding, losing iron...Your hormones are having a fit. If a woman is on her period give her whatever she wants. NOW!!