Brussel Sprout Ideas!

Options
13»

Replies

• 4Leener
    4Leener Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My sister-n-law made this one year and it was a huge success, even for the brussel sprout haters. I am not a huge bacon person but how do you think it would turn out if I tried it with turkey bacon??? Anyway, here is her recipe.

Ingredients

3 cups water
    1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    8 ounces pancetta bacon, diced
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    Directions

Bring the water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add Brussels sprouts, and cook for 5 to 7 minutes. They should still be slightly firm. Drain, and rinse with cold water. Slice the sprouts in half, and set aside.
    Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and pancetta; cook and stir for about 5 minutes, until garlic is lightly browned. Add the remaining olive oil and Brussels sprouts. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring until the sprouts are well coated with the flavor. Season with salt and pepper, and cook for 5 more minutes before serving.
  • Bigdlm43
    Bigdlm43 Posts: 7
    Options
    http://www.cookinglight.com/entertaining/holidays-occasions/holiday-cookbook-sides-00400000030233/page10.html

I got this from cooking light. I made this a few times. I LOVE BRUSSEL SPROUTS!
  • jwilson2001
    jwilson2001 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I have never liked brussel sprouts. But, we joined a produce co-op in our town and I heard that they are the in the "bag" sometimes, when in season! I wanted to find some way to try them that I might actually like!
  • 1tamlynn
    1tamlynn Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I had brussel sprouts last night, boiled with a little salt, pepper & butter. Never thought about baking them....can the frozen ones be baked or just the fresh ones. Also in response to the lady who said she had never baked cabbage, it is delicious. We cut the cabbage in fairly large wedges and add slices of onion, salt, pepper, garlic powder and butter and bake. Also recently read a recipe where you use Paul Newman Caesar Salad dressing (not the creamy kind) and brush that on it and then bake. Haven't made this yet but fully intend to.
  • heavensshadow
    heavensshadow Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I had brussel sprouts last night, boiled with a little salt, pepper & butter. Never thought about baking them....can the frozen ones be baked or just the fresh ones. Also in response to the lady who said she had never baked cabbage, it is delicious. We cut the cabbage in fairly large wedges and add slices of onion, salt, pepper, garlic powder and butter and bake. Also recently read a recipe where you use Paul Newman Caesar Salad dressing (not the creamy kind) and brush that on it and then bake. Haven't made this yet but fully intend to.

I'm sure if you rinse/thaw them out first you could certainly use frozen. The baking method is delicious, even if it does make your house smell all farty. :)
    I still really enjoyed my no-bake "ceasar salad" recipe I tried with them last night, and it keeps well overnight...had some more for lunch!
  • saxxonea
    saxxonea Posts: 1
    Options
    i keep a bag in the freezer to pull a few out and steam them covered in the microwave for four minutes. then i either drizzle honey or put a combination (that i keep pre-mixed in the cupboard) of honey, chili flakes and garlic powder on them.
  • jutymo
    jutymo Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I roast them, shred them, steam them, all the things others have said. Love them! I occasionally steam them in chicken broth. I quarter them, put them in a saucepan with about 1/4 cup chicken broth and steam on low until most of the liquid is absorbed and sprouts are tender. Then I season with salt and pepper. I add shaved or grated fresh parmesan cheese (not the green can stuff) on top and serve. Really delicious!
  • irenep22
    irenep22 Posts: 59
    Options
    roast them they are soooooo delicious ;)
  • gussde
    gussde Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I make this way all the time! I can almost eat the whole pound myself! The crispy part is the best! I cut the sprouts in half so no real need to flip them. SOOO YUMMY!!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/roasted-brussels-sprouts-recipe2/index.html

Roasted Brussels Sprouts
    Ingredients
    1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts
    3 tablespoons good olive oil
    3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    Directions
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Cut off the brown ends of the Brussels sprouts and pull off any yellow outer leaves. Mix them in a bowl with the olive oil, salt and pepper. Pour them on a sheet pan and roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. Shake the pan from time to time to brown the sprouts evenly. Sprinkle with more kosher salt ( I like these salty like French fries), and serve immediately.

Serves: 6; Calories: 109; Total Fat: 7 grams; Saturated Fat: 1 gram; Protein: 4 grams; Total carbohydrates: 10 grams; Sugar: 2 grams; Fiber: 4 grams; Cholesterol: 0 milligrams; Sodium: 269 milligrams
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! Keep the ideas coming!

Sidenote: Is it just me, or do batches of brussel sprouts, broccoli and cauliflower all smell a little like fart? :-/ Hate the smell, love the veggies though!
    Yes. So gross..I eat mine away from the people at work b/c they can't stand how they smell!!

But I put a tbs of coconut oil in the pan..maybe add onions...get the halfed sprouts all browned up...add a little water and cover them and continue to cook until they are tender. Sooooo good!! And the coconut oil doesn't add any weird flavor!
  • Rover234
    Rover234 Posts: 17
    Options
    I like to roast them in the oven with a little EVOO, salt, pepper, lemon juice. I cut them in half then cook them at about 400, til some of the outer leaves get brown and crispy, maybe about 30 minutes, just keep an eye on them.

This plus add a little parm...yum!
  • RuthRW
    RuthRW Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Bumping for all the great recipes!
  • gmctech
    gmctech Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    The only good brussel sprout is a dead brussel sprout! LoL
  • chasingbabes
    Options
    bump
  • myrahonbarrier
    myrahonbarrier Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    bumping to keep
  • Asil02
    Asil02 Posts: 261
    Options
    A low carb but by no means low fat recipe from Suzanne Somers book "Eat Great, Lose Weight". It is a DELICOUS way to have your Brussels Sprouts!

Shredded Brussels Sprouts

2 pounds fresh Brussels Sprouts
    1/2 stick of butter
    1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
    a sprinkle of salt
    3 limes

Begin by washing the sprouts. Then trim the ends and old leaves off of the outside of each one.
    Cut each sprout down the middle and then lay on the flat side and slice into small shreds.
    Next, add the butter and oil to a skillet and then add the sprouts.
    Sprinkle with salt.
    Cook over medium high heat until the sprouts are beginning to brown. It will take about 10 minutes.
    Then squeeze the 3 limes over the top of the cooked sprouts and serve.