Paleo: good or bad?

Options
124»

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    It is an amazing lifestyle if you can commit to it long-term. Most people who commit to primal/paleo living see an abundance of energy and a body that readily burns fat. This is the only 'diet' that makes sense to me, personally... While I won't comment on whether or not legumes are bad for you, and small details like that, the concept of eating real food (plants and animals) is one that is very simple and makes a lot of sense.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Agreed, once you get off the processed crap and have a bite now and then it doens't even taste like food anymore, tastes bland and boring.

This is absolutely true... Processed food tastes like inedible chemicals once you've weaned your body off of crap.
  • bugbeenz
    bugbeenz Posts: 31
    Options
    It's good if your body doesn't tolerate dairy or grains. It's unnecessary if your body doesn't have a problem with dairy or grains.

I agree with this clever lady. Unless you plan to sustain this diet for the rest of your life, I don't personally see the point.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    The burden of proof DOES NOT fall on me. First of all, I have NOTHING to prove to you. If you want to know, do the reading and research for yourself.

How about you live your life and I will continue to live mine? OK?

The problem is, the references you showed have no proof. Now granted it's difficult to navigate studies properly, especially ones that sound supportive of your arguement, which btw is fairly common and reminds me of this quote " Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof." All the studies that show meat consumption causes cancer, cardiovascular decline, heart disease and high cholesterol have the same problem, no proof. Same goes with boxed and processed food, no proof and do you know why, because there's a thing called context and dosage and to confuse the issues, correlation.

Diet while important, has minimal impact on overall health and longevity when all confounders are taken into account. Societies that live the longest and are the healthiest on this planet are quite varied in what they eat but what they all have in common is they are active all their lives and keep chronic stress to a minimum along with a social and family network that is loving and supportive. While paleo is healthy so are many ways of eating when all other factors are accounted for. imo.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/522226-let-s-talk-about-the-paleo-diet

The 2nd part seems to be deleted now, but claims that Paleo was superior were made in it

Sorry...none there...not one in that thread stated that this was a superior lifestyle or that it worked for everyone. In fact, that thread actually indicated that there were such claims on other threads, which is why it was started, but I don't seem to be able to find those, either.

I would still appreciate some guidance here.

Reading comprehension...

If you actually want specific names of who said it, I'd tell you.

and

"Personally (in my opinion) I can't see where people can't say that eating sufficient fat, protein and vegetables and fruits aren't an optimum way of eating for all human beings. "

That is not thinking anyone is superior. It is something my Dr's have told me thousands of times. I really wish my other patients would go back to eating the basics. No one needs that crap, it isn't real food anyway. Why do people want to poison their bodies.......

It is something that we as humans should or already do know. Most just want to ignore it for their moment of false pleasure.

Can you please tell me what you think the difference is between optimum and superior? If anything optimum is a notch above superior.

And I'm guessing you don't care to substantiate your claim which foods are poisoning our bodies?
    The burden of proof DOES NOT fall on me. First of all, I have NOTHING to prove to you. If you want to know, do the reading and research for yourself.

Actually it does, you are the claim maker. And you'd be mistaken if you think I haven't done the reading and research myself. You should actually want to substantiate your claims, pretend you're an impartial observer and you see someone ask someone else to actually back up their claims and they refuse to do so or they provide evidence that doesn't support their claims at all. What would you think of that person? Maybe they just go around making baseless claims and have no idea of what they are actually talking about?

And I love how someone demands evidence that people were saying Paleo was superior, evidence is given mult times and ::crickets::
  • FlynnMacCallister
    FlynnMacCallister Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    *Shrugs* Some people seem to thrive on it, some people get sick. Like most "extreme" diets, it works for some people and is extremely harmful for others, depending on quirks of different people's bodies.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I really love eating paleo. You'll mess up at first and eat gluten, but giving up gluten is the most important part of the paleo diet. Ease yourself into the other things, like grain free, sugar free, and dairy free (which is totally optional depending on how you react to dairy).

You may also want to check out Mark's Daily Apple for info about primal eat (paleo + dairy).

Finally, once you cut out gluten, your cravings for breads, pastas, and other flour based goodies pretty much go away. I don't really find it hard to resist anymore.

Finally, paleo doesn't have to be low carb!
  • kcmg0730
    kcmg0730 Posts: 96
    Options
    And I love how someone demands evidence that people were saying Paleo was superior, evidence is given mult times and ::crickets::

You still haven't submitted any hard evidence, and I am in the UK, so while you were grasping, I was sleeping.

Still haven't seen where the superiority bit comes...plenty of personal claims about the benefits of healthy fats, proteins, vegetables, etc., but not one person stated that every person should be doing this over every other kind of diet out there.