Total daily water intake. Do you include tea/coffee/other dr

Options

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Honestly, and this is just a general statement aimed at no one in particular, if you have an aversion to drinking pure water, you need to get over it... If you're serious about being healthy then you won't go out of your way to find loopholes, shortcuts, and excuses.
  • peytjalmom
    Options
    Humans can only live three days without water. I know some people never drink plain water, just coffee sodas and tea etc. so evidently they are getting a net amount of water from whatever they drink. the directic effect in caffeinated drinks still leaves them with a net amount of water. not the healthiest, though.
  • tlinval
    tlinval Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I only count plain ol' water in my water count. I shoot for 104oz per day. BAM!!:drinker:
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    The UK National Health Service says:

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/water-drinks.aspx

Research measuring water loss has shown that we should drink about 1.2 litres of fluid every day to stop us getting dehydrated. This works out to be about six 200ml or eight 150ml glasses, cups or mugs.

The total amount of water we lose each day and need to replace is in fact greater than this – about 2.5 litres – but we get 1 litre of the fluid we need from food and the body recovers 0.3 litres from chemical reactions in our cells. The rest needs to be taken from drinks. All non-alcoholic drinks count, but water, milk and fruit juices are the healthiest.
  • deniseamedina
    deniseamedina Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist says water is water...everything else does not count!
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I usually drink about 100oz a day...and once your body gets used to it..you dont have to pee all the time...its funny when I started this journey..I HATED water...had to put something in it for me to drink it..now..I prefer it plain....
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    What do you use to make tea and coffee?
    If you put lemon in your water is it suddenly not water?

Your body does not have a separate metabolic pathway for 'pure water'.
  • iloveflipflops1
    iloveflipflops1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    What i I drink decaf SWEET tea? Would that count? :sad:
  • shanice_22
    shanice_22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I've heard so many different views on this. I personally only count pure water, even if I have squash or tea as well. I think it should only be pure water that is counted as water in my diary, but that's just me. If I'm actually adding to my intake through other drinks then that's a bonus :smile:
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I don't count anything other than pure water in my intake. That's not all I drink, but that's all I use the handy little water glass in my diary for!

^^ Me too!
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    The jury is still out on this, but since I'm my own judge... I only count pure water. I drink 12+ glasses of pure water daily, and I have tea 3-6 times (some is green, some is fennel, so caffeine free). I had my first cup of coffee [brewed at home] in a long time today and paid for it with heartburn... but I don't count it when I do have it.
  • kballard66
    Options
    Yes, I count my coffee because I don't doctor it up with sweetners or creamers. I drink it straight black.
  • shanice_22
    Options
    Humans can only live three days without water. I know some people never drink plain water, just coffee sodas and tea etc. so evidently they are getting a net amount of water from whatever they drink. the directic effect in caffeinated drinks still leaves them with a net amount of water. not the healthiest, though.

Probably true. Now I think about it, I also know people who NEVER drink plain water. I personally don't count other drinks though, but that's just personal preference.
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    If I'm drinking it and it has water in it. I count it as water.
    Water + Drink mix = water
    Coffee = Water
    Tea = Water
    Water = Water

The water didn't disappear. It's still there.
  • xTenaciousJx
    Options
    i only drink water BUT if i do have a cup or coffee in the am or something else i log it separate.

edit: coffee i drink w/ creamer and that adds calories so thats why. other drinks have calories as well.
  • shanice_22
    Options
    i only drink water BUT if i do have a cup or coffee in the am or something else i log it separate.

edit: coffee i drink w/ creamer and that adds calories so thats why. other drinks have calories as well.

Same. Tea I add milk and sweetener so that's calories added and my squash, although low calorie, still adds calories.
  • HardcorePork
    HardcorePork Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    If you have an emotional response over what complete strangers log as water, you have bigger problems than hydration...
  • sunsetwest
    sunsetwest Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    When I drink caffeinated beverages, it makes me rather anxious. Anxiety makes me use the bathroom way more often (as in, up to 3 times in one hour), so I drink more water. In those instances, I only log the non-caffeinated beverages consumed that day. Every now and then, that hot cup of strong, black coffee or black tea is just the thing I need, though, so it's totally worth the edginess it causes. Green and white tea are more tolerable for me, but I usually stick to tisanes.

On an average day, I log plain/lemon/acv water and tisanes in the cup icon.
  • shan_0517
    shan_0517 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cir2000
    cir2000 Posts: 1
    Options
    I drink Crystal Light sugarfree ice tea all the time. It is 5 calories for 8 oz. and 99%is caffeine free. I had my husband ask his weight watcher counsellor if it counts as water and she said yes, but straight water is better.