Pop, Soda, or ?

Options
I love to ask this question to people and ee the various answers and reactions. Do you call it Pop, Soda, or something entirely different? To clarify, I am talking about drinks such as coca-cola, pepsi, etc.. I call it pop as I have always done so while growing up in Ohio and Pennsylvania. Been told this has been studied and is a regional thing. So answer away! :)

Replies

• eunger1
    eunger1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I call it soda, although I live in Ohio where almost everyone calls it pop. I think the only reason I call it soda is because my mom is from Connecticut and calls it soda. I was just talking about this earlier with someone actually haha
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I called it pop as a kid, then just went to 'fizzy drink'. But, the more I spent time online speaking to people from other countries (I'm in the UK), the more I found people seemed to generally understand best when I called it soda.

Soda became habit, and when I said it the other day my fiancé laughed and asked me when I'd turned American, but I do think all three are said over here pretty equally.
  • wwk10
    wwk10 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    In the South its called Coke.
    As in:
    "What kind of coke do you want?"
    "I'll take a Sprite."
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Coke...

and it doesn't matter if it's Sprite either, it is still called a "coke".
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    In the South its called Coke.
    As in:
    "What kind of coke do you want?"
    "I'll take a Sprite."

:laugh: Great minds!
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    from Californa..I call it soda...so does hubby who is from Jersey..but the Pennsylvania part of the family..its Pop...
  • MILICA1986
    MILICA1986 Posts: 172
    Options
    I call it Zero, because that's the only thing I ever ask for :bigsmile:
  • NancyNiles
    NancyNiles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I just say "Diet" and they usually know I mean either pepsi or coke, whatever they have.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I'm originally from Missouri and I call it pop. And I call meals: breakfast, dinner and supper.
  • mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Pop.
  • RH_Brazell
    RH_Brazell Posts: 339
    Options
    soda
  • zinok
    zinok Posts: 185
    Options
    I live in Alberta, people usually call it pop here. I generally call it soda. I just prefer the way it sounds.
  • DsAdvocate
    DsAdvocate Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Pop!
  • pinkhu13
    pinkhu13 Posts: 133
    Options
    It's called pop thank you very much :)
  • arobinson2390
    Options
    I'm from detroit and i've always called it pop. soda sounds weird O_o lol
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    My Dad always called it soda water, but it came out 'Sodie water'. Miss him :heart:
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    We drank pop, when we could get it as children. When I was 21yo I moved MA for a year. They usually called it soda, but then I didn't understand about half of what they said. :laugh:
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    poison
  • ttaylor68913
    ttaylor68913 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    depends on who im talking to. my husband and family is from the east coast. they call it soda.. I'm from kansas. we call it pop. my friend in texas calls it coke
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Soda... "Pop" is what you call your father... o.O

I'm from New Jersey.