Goodbye Stretching

Options
124»

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    It's better do use a warmup before a workout...this requires movement and can include dynamic stretches. Then follow with a cooldown and static stretching (no movement). Static stretching before a workout hasn't been shown as beneficial.
  • FlynnMacCallister
    FlynnMacCallister Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Stretching is a good "just in case" preventative when you're using your muscles a lot to make sure they don't shrink up and cause you pain or reduced mobility. It's mostly a comfort thing, rather than a need thing.

Have you been static stretching or dynamic? Dynamic achieves more, keeps your muscles warm, and keeps you moving. If you've been doing static, you might wanna change.

Flexibility is a good goal in itself. Seriously, if you're flexible enough to easily touch your toes and fold your arms behind your back, (not neccessarily at the same time....) everyday tasks do become more comfortable.
    Most people do stretch wrong. I see many a person in the gym "static stretching" before working out, when they should be "dynamic stretching".

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Oh, yeah, and I'm no exception. I was taught "static only, bouncing is bad". Since I switched to mostly dynamic, my flexibilty has improved out of sight.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Stretching is a good "just in case" preventative when you're using your muscles a lot to make sure they don't shrink up and cause you pain or reduced mobility. It's mostly a comfort thing, rather than a need thing.

Have you been static stretching or dynamic? Dynamic achieves more, keeps your muscles warm, and keeps you moving. If you've been doing static, you might wanna change.

Flexibility is a good goal in itself. Seriously, if you're flexible enough to easily touch your toes and fold your arms behind your back, (not neccessarily at the same time....) everyday tasks do become more comfortable.
    Most people do stretch wrong. I see many a person in the gym "static stretching" before working out, when they should be "dynamic stretching".

IDEA Fitness member

Oh, yeah, and I'm no exception. I was taught "static only, bouncing is bad". Since I switched to mostly dynamic, my flexibilty has improved out of sight.
    And this is why it's important for instructors to continue education because when research on this was done and found that static stretching actually reduced "power" in explosive movements, then dynamic stretching then became more the option. I still run into trainers that have their clients static stretch before a session.

IDEA Fitness member
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

And this is why it's important for instructors to continue education because when research on this was done and found that static stretching actually reduced "power" in explosive movements, then dynamic stretching then became more the option. I still run into trainers that have their clients static stretch before a session.

IDEA Fitness member

I have actually read that certain muscle groups, namely the Hip Flexors and Pectorals, are good to static stretch before-hand. Joe DeFranco actually had two long stretching discussions on his website.