Race Etiquette?

Options
VL1020
VL1020 Posts: 10 Member
Let me start by saying I am in no way trying to be mean. I've been thinking about this for awhile and just want to know what you guys think.

So I ran a 10k this weekend and while I was running there are people who are walking. I'm fine with you walking, you're outside, being active, I'm all for it. But I was always taught the slower joggers or walkers should stick to the outside and let the faster people run in the middle. It was to the point where groups of three, four, or five people would be walking in a line and I would have to zig zag between people all over the road to try to keep my pace. This would be in the middle of the street, so I would have to go to the outside to keep running. There would even be times when I couldn't go through and would almost have to stop until a spot opened up I could run through.

My question is, am I wrong for being a little bothered by this? I'm happy that people are outside getting excercise but not when it interferes with me. I tried to be considerate and pulled over to the side when I stopped to grab a drink of water, but then I was in the way of other people running around the walkers. It just creates a field that's crazy to run through

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    well, you aren't wrong for being annoyed BUT the middle isn't the place most people want to run who are racing. Racing, you want to take the tangents.

Slower runners/walkers SHOULD
    a) line up in the back
    b) go no more than 2 abreast
    c) watch for passers

also sounds like you lined up wrong as well if you are having to deal with this many people walking in your 10k
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It never ceases to amaze me that people are completely oblivious as to the reason many races use a corral system for the start.

I can understand a new runner not having a realistic expectation as to finishing time and, inadvertently, ending up in the wrong corral. I'm hardly an elite runner and don't need to worry about prize money or scholarships but it's frustrating to have trained hard for a race only to have walkers 4 or 5 abreast creating obstacles.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    that's annoying. as are the people who wear headphones. i know many people wear them when they are training, but i think they get in the way on race day.

especially if you dont know the course, if someone wants to pass and they want to let you know they are on your inside or outside and you cant hear them. i've seen and been involved in a few collisions like that. when i've been involved i kinda feel bad because i'm a pretty solid gal, so i can keep trucking whereas more often than not the other person ends up stumbling..

sorry but take your headphone off or at least turn your music down that you can still hear what's going on around you.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Walkers during a race r typically the most inconsiderate people that i encounter
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    That drives me nuts, too. Also, the walkers (who are clearly walkers, in sandals and jeans) who push their way to the front of the start.... They create an immediate backup and people are tripping over them and each other and it drives me bonkers! If you walk, move to the BACK OF THE START.......... please.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    That drives me nuts, too. Also, the walkers (who are clearly walkers, in sandals and jeans) who push their way to the front of the start.... They create an immediate backup and people are tripping over them and each other and it drives me bonkers! If you walk, move to the BACK OF THE START.......... please.
    :laugh:

i know there's always several people dressed like that carrying a plastic shopping bag. i always wonder who are these people and if they realize they are in a race because they look like they just came from buying something from CVS and are walking home.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I hate that, too! There are several "free for all races" that I no longer participate in because no matter how many times they ask walkers to line up in the back... they don't. Or they run for two blocks, get tired, and just stop -- causing people to run into them. So rude!

I love the races that have the corral setups -- and enforce it!

I could continue this rant... but I think we've all seen it or heard or been there before!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Hey, VL1020, I think my brother-in-law did the same 10K last weekend (if you did it in your hometown). He said it was a blast! I hope you enjoyed it, even with some of the walkers frustrations.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    People do this NOT in a race. They make even training runs difficult. You are not wrong to be bothered by that. I get annoyed in public on a daily basis. At work were used to alerting others of where we are for safety reasons and if I go for a run and have some dip**** stop right in front of me I am LESS than happy.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Stick with races with more structured corrals, pace yourself at the end of the corral just above yours and also look for races with pace requirements. This should help you avoid getting stuck behind crowds of walkers.

But I also agree that walkers in races should have respect for those trying to run, not discrediting that, just giving advice on how to help avoid them.