Is romance taught/learned or instinct and do all women like

Options
Kristinemomof3
Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
I'm just pondering because my husband is not romantic AT ALL and it drives me crazy. So I'm just wondering if there was something in his youth that could have been done differently. Also, do all women want romance?

Replies

• Fnarkk
    Fnarkk Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Wow, how do I answer this? Not all women like romance; also what is romantic for the moment may change without warning into annoyance (12 years of personal experience). I would explain further by saying my wife would disagree and say that what is romantic to ME is not necessarily romantic for HER. Some people may need a bit of hand-holding leading into the field of romance while others need notes, directions, and a time table.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Putting flame suit on...

It has been my observation that despite stereotypes men are as much looking for romance and to be romantic as ladies are.
    To go along with that many women are no where near creatures of the heart as generally thought and are very calculating about things when it comes to relationships as far as whether to enter into one or to stay in one.

This is not intended to be an all inclusive statement,is anecdotal and my opinion based on things I have seen.
  • BigRich822
    BigRich822 Posts: 681
    Options
    My wife says I am not romantic at all ever since we got married. But every once in a while I can still charm her when I try. Just to make sure I still got it.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Putting flame suit on...

It has been my observation that despite stereotypes men are as much looking for romance and to be romantic as ladies are.
    To go along with that many women are no where near creatures of the heart as generally thought and are very calculating about things when it comes to relationships as far as whether to enter into one or to stay in one.

This is not intended to be an all inclusive statement,is anecdotal and my opinion based on things I have seen.

^^^This.

Also...
    I am a woman but I am not romantic. I don't want flowers, or chocolate, or jewelry. Don't write me poems. Skip the fancy restaurant and candlelight dinner too.
    Let's go do something fun, preferably where we can get dirty and maybe scraped up a bit.
    Then let's have some steak and eat it with our bare hands, and tear off bites with our teeth. Who needs utensils?
    That's my definition of romance.

My ex was all about the flowers and chocolate. He was a man.
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend doesn't have a romantic bone in his body. Well, maybe just one.

The only romantic guy I ever dated was also romancing 4 other girls at the same time. I guess my "tough broad" thing attracts guys who don't have softer sides.
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I think romance means different things to different people. But it doesn't always have to be flowers, candy, poems and a candlelight dinner...to me that stuff is so played out and uncreative it's not really romantic but to someone else it totally is of course. Maybe your husband is romantic in his own ways?
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options

^^^This.

Also...
    I am a woman but I am not romantic. I don't want flowers, or chocolate, or jewelry. Don't write me poems. Skip the fancy restaurant and candlelight dinner too.
    Let's go do something fun, preferably where we can get dirty and maybe scraped up a bit.
    Then let's have some steak and eat it with our bare hands, and tear off bites with our teeth. Who needs utensils?

We could quite possibly be cut from the same cloth... I would rather go do something fun, and get dirty, possibly scraped up maybe even some bruises. food should be eaten with hands and not utensils.. and you can skip over the flowers, chocolate and jewelry because thats just not my thing.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    What is considered romantic to one, isn't romantic to someone else.

If you want your husband to be what you consider romantic, you need to tell him what you want.
  • manda1002
    manda1002 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Romance to me is my husband buying us a new video game and sitting down and playing it with me....hah!
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Romance is definitely taught. A boy grows up and sees his mom go crazy over a man giving her flowers or jewelry. The boy is taught to give presents to those he loves, as a token of his love and affection. Some boys are more naturally socially adept, others are clueless. But then again, not every woman wants the jewelry or flowers.

All women are not romantically inclined, either. :^)
  • Kassieisproud
    Options

^^^This.

Also...

We could quite possibly be cut from the same cloth... I would rather go do something fun, and get dirty, possibly scraped up maybe even some bruises. food should be eaten with hands and not utensils.. and you can skip over the flowers, chocolate and jewelry because thats just not my thing.

Yes me To! Im such a tom boy and my playfullness can get violent but i like it that way To me all those things are such a waste of money lets just wrestle and then cook dinner at home from the pot on the kitchen counter fun and laughter are my romantic
  • perdie7
    perdie7 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I've been married for 26 years.

My husband is not romantic. He is pretty clueless. He used to say "tell me what you want me to do, and I will do it", and I would get mad cause "if I had to tell him then it wasn't romantic, he was just doing it because I asked him to, not cause he wanted to"

I finally realized, if he's doing it because I asked, then it is romantic...period. He's doing it cause he loves me...period, that's romantic. Funny part is, once I figured that out, stopped complaining because he wasn't romantic, he started trying things all by himself....:wink:
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    No , it's instinct and NO.
  • Farfourah
    Farfourah Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    NO, it's instinct and NO.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I think the desire for romance or to give it is instinct, in that, it's either there or not, it varies widely between individuals. Some people become natural romantics, and some women crave romance without ever having been "taught" that way. Although I do believe upbringing plays a big part too.

I really don't think all women want romance either. I do, but not the cheesy, predictable kind. The little things that are more personal are the best.
    I don't ever remember watching my parents be romantic towards each other (they divorced when I was 8) or learning about it anywhere. I don't even recall seeing any friends parents / other adults be romantic towards each other. It's still what I wanted though.
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    ~ Romance : A feeling of excitement and mystery associated with love. Someone guided more by ideals than by practical considerations ... a dreamer, an idealist.

I find that a person who has romantic intentions is a person who ignites fire in a relationship. It isn't about objects ... flowers, candy, jewelry or anything fancy ... it's about how they carry themselves, the look in their eyes. A person who oozes with sex appeal and knows how to express there passion through communication and touch.

I completely indulge in a relationship that includes intense emotions ... when you get butterflies at the thought of his touch ... and you smile at just the sound of his voice ... you have " lived " romance.

:blushing:
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    It's taught.

I don't dig a lot of the things that, stereotypically, I'm supposed to find romantic. Most of the time I want to throw down shots, fish all night, talk *kitten*, laugh, and be left the fck alone later.
  • honestlysweet
    honestlysweet Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend doesn't have a romantic bone in his body. Well, maybe just one.

Tee hee.
  • honestlysweet
    honestlysweet Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I just hollered to my husband could he transfer the clothes from the washer to the dryer and put in a load of towels and he said "Sure baby".

Now THAT's romantic!
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    I just hollered to my husband could he transfer the clothes from the washer to the dryer and put in a load of towels and he said "Sure baby".

Now THAT's romantic!
    That's your job and why isn't dinner ready? Now that's a true Bromeo!