Over the Counter Diet Pills?

Options
I know I am doing well with the weight loss so far even though I have moments of not feeling like I am. In the past I have been guilty of using diet pills, like Hydroxycut (sp?), they never worked that well unless I was working out like I am now, I'm not sure if its worth it or will do any good. Maybe I'm having a weak moment but I know they help speed up the metabolism process, any thoughts? Do any of you use anything to help? Or is it all a waste of money?

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I know I am doing well with the weight loss so far even though I have moments of not feeling like I am. In the past I have been guilty of using diet pills, like Hydroxycut (sp?), they never worked that well unless I was working out like I am now, I'm not sure if its worth it or will do any good. Maybe I'm having a weak moment but I know they help speed up the metabolism process, any thoughts? Do any of you use anything to help? Or is it all a waste of money?

Honestly speaking here, you already answered your own question.
  • ronadams52
    ronadams52 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    He's right. Do not depend on something to artificially bring the results you want whether it is added muscle, toning and conditioning, weight loss or increased stamina and endurance. If you really want to FEEL GOOD about your progress do it knowing that it was ALL YOU and the changes you made to your lifestyle, nutrition and workouts that you did leaving nothing but sweat behind when you have finished. Artificial means create artificial people. You must decide who you want to be!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Im a woman.... lol
  • ronadams52
    Options
    Sorry just going by your profile pic! haha
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Diet pills are a total sham. If you notice the fine white print on the pale backgrounds in the commercials, it says in combination with a diet and exercise plan; and/or results not typical.

I've tried only a few, but they all ended up with me gaining weight because I had sugar crashes and/or anxiety attacks (which then cause me to eat more than I would normally). I found them to be a total waste of money!
  • kfallbach
    kfallbach Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    They don't work girl i have tried them all
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I think the main diet pill that worked is no longer legal in the US - that is, pills containing ephadrine. And, they did work. Speed will do that. :laugh:

Ephedrine is still legal where I live. I figure if someone wants to use it, they just need to be aware of what they're doing, accept the risks, and realize that they're unlikely to maintain the loss once they stop taking the supplement.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I think thermogenics are GREAT and really help. I wear a HRM during my workouts and I burn more calories when I take them compared to when I don't.

Ones I have tried that have worked well for me are OxyElite Plus and Lipo 6 Black for Women, both available at GNC.
  • abellone7289
    abellone7289 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I tried them once for about 4 days. I was more exhausted, hungrier than ever and I was a total monster to everyone who came across my path. Normally I am very friendly and compassionate! When I realized how mean and grouchy I was, it was not worth it.

Changing my lifestyle, though slow and tedious, is working best. I have more energy, I am physically and mentally stronger, and my skin and hair look healthy for the first time I can remember. Now I will be healthy my whole life, even if it's taking me more time to drop the pounds.
  • katysmelly
    Options
    I take ephedrine with caffeine sometimes. I have to be careful to take only a little and do it early in the day, or else I'll be up all night. But, I like how it makes me feel. I'd say that for me, the appeal isn't the weight loss so much as the general feeling of peppiness. I may like that aspect too much, so I don't take it very often. :laugh:

Anyway, in clinical trials, ephedrine combined with caffeine and aspirin have been shown to aid weight loss. But, I assume most people gain it right back when they stop taking it. And, there are certainly health risks associated with it.
  • guamSUPERgirl90
    Options
    :bigsmile:

I understand alot of you above don't agree to OTC (over the counter) pills. The thing is, everybody is different! You should research what you think is suitable for you, then see a dietician/nutritionist to determine if they are ok to take, or to determine what you need in your body to help "burn" more/ boost your metabolism. I saw my Doc and if anything, mostly advised of healthy oils like Omega Fatty acids to keep my digestion in balance (plus its good for high cholesterol). The main thing is diet and exercise. Other wise the pills that you will have gotten will not work.
  • guamSUPERgirl90
    Options
    :bigsmile:

I understand alot of you above don't agree to OTC (over the counter) pills. The thing is, everybody is different! You should research what you think is suitable for you, then see a dietician/nutritionist to determine if they are ok to take, or to determine what you need in your body to help "burn" more/ boost your metabolism. I saw my Doc and if anything, mostly advised of healthy oils like Omega Fatty acids to keep my digestion in balance (plus its good for high cholesterol). The main thing is diet and exercise. Other wise the pills that you will have gotten will not work.

EDIT: I take Flaxseed Oil caps (1000mg of omega 3/6/and 9) and Tonalin CLA (1000mg of Omega 6 ) . I just recently added raspberry ketones (highly recommended since there is no side effects because it is also natural). Raspberry Ketones gives me a happy satisfied feeling.

***i need to buy a scale so I haven't weighed myself :C Sorry )
  • Iceylyons
    Iceylyons Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have tried just about everything there is out there. But, like a nugget, I didn't exercise or eat the way I should have. I expected they would be magic pills. ^_^

Now that I'm much more wise, I do use Oxy Elite Pro from GNC and they do help with controlling hunger. I don't take them expecting that they will burn the fat off while I watch TV on the couch, lol, but they DID help and still do to control my hunger. Problem is usually more than not that I have to force myself to ea,t because I'm just not hungry on them.

With that particular kind, you have to really take them for about a month before you will notice anything different. They do for me what I need them to do, especially in the beginning when I was hungry all the time. They keep you from being hungry so that you don't eat as much during a meal.

*shrugs* As long as you are realistic about what they are: Dieting AIDES!! Use them if you want to, but don't take any more than what the recommended dose is and don't expect that they will do all the work for you.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking OTC diet pills range from ineffective (the good ones) to dangerous. I noticed in another thread someone bemoaning the fact that one brand no longer contains ephedra....you know, the banned ingredient that kills people.
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Natalie, you say you are doing well with your weight miss. So why tamper with success?

Really, there are no shortcuts in weight loss. Just keep on doing what you're doing and you will see lasting results.
  • katysmelly
    Options
    Generally speaking OTC diet pills range from ineffective (the good ones) to dangerous. I noticed in another thread someone bemoaning the fact that one brand no longer contains ephedra....you know, the banned ingredient that kills people.

Ephedrine is not banned. It's just not legal to make diet aids/nutritional supplements with it in some countries.

Ephadrine has been used for centuries to treat respiratory problems. It's not poisonous. But, in the largely-unregulated "supplement" industry, there was too much opportunity for people to misuse it.

I live in a country where you can buy codeine and ephedrine over the counter. I don't worry too much about them, although I am aware that many people abuse them.
  • ronadams52
    Options
    @katysmelly - Perhaps it is OK to use ephedra in Scotland by in the US it is not.

The Food and Drug Administration banned the weight-loss supplement ephedra as of April 2004, but you might not know that if you hang out on the Internet. Ephedra Outlet touts "Ripped Ma Huang Ephedra Diet Pills”; BuyEphedraOnline.com ("Your #1 Source for Ephedra Products") offers Trimethylene with "10 mg ephedra." Several sites sell Ephedra 5, "the only clinically proven, legal Ephedra supplement in the United States."

What gives? Turns out the FDA banned alkaloids of ephedrine, found mainly in the stem of the ephedra sinica species. It's the chemical presumably responsible for weight loss but also for boosting heart rate and blood pressure. Adverse effects included heart attacks, strokes, seizures, and even death.
  • katysmelly
    Options
    Yeah, a lot of people are selling it online, and selling it to America. I don't understand all the variations on ephedrine, either. If they work the same or what. That's just par for the course with "supplements" - they use bizarre pseudo-scientific jargon and words that are similar to familiar words and you don't know what is actually in any of it. They all also often add in a bunch of "herbal" crap that does God-knows-what.
  • kfallbach
    Options
    when i was younger took ependrine and kept it off after i stopped so it can be kept off. kept it off for 6 yrs
  • kfallbach
    Options
    i took stacker 2 worked like a dream