Counting calories from your protein supplement

Options
Zalissa
Zalissa Posts: 23 Member
For those who use protein shakes, do you count the calories?

I just had a very infuriating incident at a local health food store. I had been looking at the nutriion information for the various whey protein powders they had. I had finally reached a decision on the brand and flavor I wanted to purchase. A sales associate finished up with another customer and asked if I needed help. I said "I don't think so. I've just been looking for the protein powder with the most protein for the lowest calories." He replied with something very close to this: "Don't count the calories in your protein supplement. I don't know how Weight Watchers does it, but those of us in the gym are in the know and we don't count them." And he said it in a very condescending tone. If I hadn't wanted to support a local business, I would have walked out of the store without making that purchase.

I am curious though... so do you count them?

Replies

• afshape
    afshape Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just started a protein shake today, but I am counting the calories. Calories are calories in my opinion.
  • Jameslemond
    Jameslemond Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Yes i log them... a calorie is a calorie...
    i log my protein bars, shakes etc...
    make sure you get a protein supplement lower in calories/carbs..
    there are different types of protein powders
  • geckofli
    geckofli Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    i would have walked out of the store, if the local guy cant provide decent customer service, then stuff em they cant have my money.

i do count mine, i use proto whey for quick protein and slow release i use muscle milk
  • Tami113
    Tami113 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I don't take protein supplement but i do take an omega supplment and it has 70 calories per serving. I count those calories because to me a calorie is a calorie. Some gym nut heads ( like that not-nice guy you encountered) take protein supplments to bulk up. I would count the calories but may i ask why you take a protein shake? I am curious as to why a lot of MFP'ers drink protein shakes instead of eating lean protein. Is there a difference? I am a vegetarian and i get plenty of protein. I am not trying to be rude, just curious
  • geckofli
    geckofli Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    i also log chewies, hydration formulas anything that goes in my mouth i log, cept the the end of the biro, im only chewing on that i dont actually eat it
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I agree....a calorie is a calorie and I definitely log them! That was just rude of him!
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I definitely count mine; I use BlueBonnet whey protein isolate, and it's something over 100 calories per scoop, so it adds up.
  • dmchiz
    dmchiz Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I also count the calories in protein shakes and bars, as well as the carbs....you're taking them in and you're gonna be using them one way or another! Don't be discouraged by an arrogant sales jerk!
  • Somerj
    Somerj Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I count them for sure. That guy is crazy. A calorie is a calorie no matter where it comes from.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Yea you count them as it is a food. Funny because as most supplement companys try to trick you into thinking you need their product its your job to investigate wether its good or bad. Apparently that sales person tryed to trick you as well when he asked you if you needed help. Ya you got help but you got to ask your self help from whom... You got a moron LOL! Again like the tricky supplement companies you have to investigate wether you have a moron talking or an intellegent person talking. Remember they are in the game to sell and will trick the feeble minded. It sounds to me that he was trying to trick you into thinking you dont have to count protein calories why?..(because his friends at the gym dont LOOOOL) and if you believed his BS then you are a guaranteed sale. He is a moron point blank.
  • Zalissa
    Zalissa Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I thought he was full of bunk and you have all confirmed it. Keep in mind, he didn't sell me anything. Yes, I bought the item, but he had absolutely nothing to do with it. I had my decision made before he came over. I sent an email to the store outlining the conversation and how much I didn't appreciate the unsolicited and condescending advice he offered. It may not go anywhere, but the again, it just might. Thanks for all of your responses.
  • julieb345
    julieb345 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    so do vital proteins count as your daily protein intake and also the bcaa?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,867 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    julieb345 wrote: »
    so do vital proteins count as your daily protein intake and also the bcaa?

BCAAs are not a complete protein. Food with complete protein (complete in terms of essential amino acids (EAAs)), or a powder that's complete, would be better choices IMO, in general.

Vital Proteins - the brand - sells multiple things. I have no idea whether they're EAA-complete or not, across the board. They say some of their products are complete.

Any protein gets added into your MFP total. Getting EAA-complete protein in total over relatively short time periods is more beneficial than just getting a random mix of protein types. (Relatively short time period = day or maybe a bit more? dunno.)

If you eat animal proteins (meat-fish-dairy), they are generally EAA complete. Most plant protein sources aren't complete - a few are - but most aren't terrible and it evens out if you combine a reasonable mix of appropriate sources, no need for obsessiveness.

I think food-sourced nutrients are a better bet generally than supplements, but I can't prove it as a generality. Here's a good source for info about increasing protein from food, including data about protein quality:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

If you get enough good-quality protein from your food, supplements don't add any special magic. If you can't get enough good-quality protein from food within your calorie budget, supplements may be helpful.

This thread is from 2012. It also isn't very informative. I assume some spammer woke it from the dead, but the spam got deleted? If you found it via search, I'd advise avoiding threads that old. This one is a little odd, but some of the old ones are full of bad/outdated advice. Don't be afraid to post your questions as a new thread in one of the appropriate Community sections.