Am I Doing too Much Cardio?

Options
Hi, up until the last 2 weeks I was doing 30-45 mind of interval training on the elliptical 6 days a week, resting Sundays. I Added in weight training 3 times a week for the last 2 weeks and cardiograph is feeling not as "easy" for me to do. I always challenge myself, but my body isn't feeling as up for it, I don't have as much gusto. Ive seen good results so far, but with weight training, is 6 days of cardio too much? Ive read you should alternate, on days you do weights you don't do cardiograph and vice versatile. I'm scared if I slow down the cardiograph, my progress will stop too. So I need some insight and encouragement please :)

Replies

• lilmisskrys24
    Options
    I meant cardio, not cardiograph. My kindle likes to autocorrect things that are just fine a lot.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Ease up on the cardio on the days you are lifting, but you don't have to give it up completely! I do fairly intense cardio daily, but I do a bit less on the days I lift. 30 minutes instead of a typical 60 or more. You're progress will not stop due to reducing your cardio. You may even find you do better! You never know.
  • lilmisskrys24
    Options
    Also, I usually do my cardiograph right when I wake up wihoit eating first....ive read conflicting things on that too. To eat first, or not to eat?
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before my morning workout. Mainly because I can't, due to a medication I take, but I'm also not hungry the first hour or two in the morning.
  • SusanleeBee
    SusanleeBee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    You should eat something before so that you have the calories and energy to fuel your workout!
  • DisneySkaGirl
    Options
    I do heavy weights on separate days from intense cardio. I'll do 10-15 minutes warm up on an elliptical or treadmill on days I weight train, but I feel like I get more out of weights or cardio by having them separate. Try it for a few weeks and see how you feel. I know you probably feel like if you do a ton you'll get where you want to be faster, but your body needs rest and fuel to perform at its best.
  • sunshinesonata
    sunshinesonata Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    You should eat something before so that you have the calories and energy to fuel your workout!

^^ this.
  • Init_to_winit
    Init_to_winit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I've read (I know there is always people saying one way or another). But I've read that cardio is best in the morning when you first wake up before you eat (but drink water!). That way your jump starting your metabolism and getting your bodies fat burners ready to go before you take your first bite. Weight lifting is better to do later on in the day after your muscles have had time to warm up some and you have some food to fuel your workout, you'll get better results lifting weight later in the day that way. Cardio in the morning before you eat and weights in the afternoon after fuel and working muscles = maximize your results.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    3 days of cardio and 3 days of strength training is a plenty of training and a good balance. I would ditch the cardio on strength training days. But make sure your strength training is intense.
  • Austin1988
    Austin1988 Posts: 243 Member
    Options

You should do whatever works for you. I do fine without breakfast before I work out. I hate working out with food in my stomach, and generally don't work out as hard because of this. Try both ways, and tweak it to what suits you best. There is no written rule for it.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    You don't have to eat before you do cardio, but it can improve performance if you do. You can try eating and not eating and see which you like best.

If you do decide to cut back on cardio, remember to cut back on calories, too, because strength training doesn't burn as many calories.
  • Alonnea
    Alonnea Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Eating is up to you. If you feel fine without eating before a workout then you are fine. If you feel like you need to eat you can always eat something small. I do cardio after lifting as long as its not my leg days. Leg days I do 10 min of cardio before then weight training and then I'm done. If I do feel like cardio I try to wait to do it in the evening. Everyone is different so just set it up the way you feel works for you and make sure you give it time.
  • lilmisskrys24
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Do you *only* do the elliptical?
  • lilmisskrys24
    Options
    No, I also run outside, and on the treadmill, just depends on if I can get to the gym. I LIKE to do the intervals on the eliptical though, so I try to do that more. On weekends I run outside, and I probably am on the treadmill 2 times a week, and 3 times a week elliptical. But I've been on spring break this week, so I have done the treadmill once and the elliptical the rest of the week.
  • lilmisskrys24
    Options
    That's last week and this week. Yes, I've basically stayed on the elliptical. I know people say to switch up cardios but I switch up the resistance interval times.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

You should do whatever works for you. I do fine without breakfast before I work out. I hate working out with food in my stomach, and generally don't work out as hard because of this. Try both ways, and tweak it to what suits you best. There is no written rule for it.

This thread is full of misinformation...but the above quote is by far the most accurate.

Also...cardiovascular exercise is not only unnecessary for healthy fat loss...but has been proven to be detrimental to it. Can you do cardio and still lose fat? Yes...but its a vicious cycle...as you're also losing lean muscle with it. Heavy strength training does not suffer from this...and also spikes growth hormone (which is a road sign telling your body not only to burn...but not to store fat in the first place).

Google 'Rachel Cosgrove, The Final Nail in the Cardio Coffin'. It gives a nice summary of what I'm saying.
  • lilmisskrys24
    Options
    This thread is full of misinformation...but the above quote is by far the most accurate.

Also...cardiovascular exercise is not only unnecessary for healthy fat loss...but has been proven to be detrimental to it. Can you do cardio and still lose fat? Yes...but its a vicious cycle...as you're also losing lean muscle with it. Heavy strength training does not suffer from this...and also spikes growth hormone (which is a road sign telling your body not only to burn...but not to store fat in the first place).

Google 'Rachel Cosgrove, The Final Nail in the Cardio Coffin'. It gives a nice summary of what I'm saying.
    [/quote]

Thank you! I read the article and looked up interval training. I might try that instead and put more time into lifting.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I feel like I am also doing too much cardio..but I feel addicted to it and am more comfortable doing cardio than weights...I really need to focus more on weights...and I hear u loud and clear about being more tired after weight training days..ugh!

It's confusing! Good luck...and it sounds like u are doing a great job! U will find what works best!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    If I were you, on the days that you are lifting, I would only do a little cardio just to warm up. Maybe 10 minutes on the elliptical or bike or something.