The 'F' word

Options
jcriscuolo
jcriscuolo Posts: 319 Member
My question to the group is do you ever use the 'F' word (FAT) to describe yourself?
Why or why not?
I use it but some people think it is a sign of low self esteem. I just look at it as being real about my condition.
I actually had a woman pull me aside after she heard me use that term and she expressed concern for me.
I am just into the obese category according to the BMI calculator. But that is why I am here and doing something about it.
"i'm not fat, I'm just big-boned"

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    My question to the group is do you ever use the 'F' word (FAT) to describe yourself?
    Why or why not?
    I use it but some people think it is a sign of low self esteem. I just look at it as being real about my condition.
    I actually had a woman pull me aside after she heard me use that term and she expressed concern for me.
    I am just into the obese category according to the BMI calculator. But that is why I am here and doing something about it.
    "i'm not fat, I'm just big-boned"

I find euphemistic, politically-correct terminology extremely annoying.
  • mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I do. I am currently fat. I have been fat for a few years. I wish to no longer be fat. :)
  • Bmontgomery613
    Bmontgomery613 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Because I have 2 young daughters (one of whom is entering that pre-pubescent age category), I do my very best to not use that word to describe myself. I know that I am and I'm sure they know that I am. But, being the mom of girls can get very tricky when it comes to the language.
  • Karrix
    Karrix Posts: 288
    Options
    Never used it to describe myself. I also avoid describing others in that way. :flowerforyou:
  • jcriscuolo
    Options
    Because I have 2 young daughters (one of whom is entering that pre-pubescent age category), I do my very best to not use that word to describe myself. I know that I am and I'm sure they know that I am. But, being the mom of girls can get very tricky when it comes to the language.

Good point. I didn't consider it from that point of view.
    So is it possible that women think of this term as offensive more than men do?
  • lilmisskrys24
    Options
    If you're fat, you're fat. What else do you say? Big? Obese?
  • lilmisskrys24
    Options
    It definitely depends on context if it is offensive or not.
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I am trying to be more positive about myself. I also try to be careful on here because some people have just started their journey and I do not want to offend or discourage. But PC is WAY not my style. Yep I was FAT. It was bad so I did something to fix it.
  • sexyrosey
    sexyrosey Posts: 137
    Options
    If you're fat, you're fat. What else do you say? Big? Obese?

Yes and besides people will see that your fat it's not something most of us can hide. I would NEVER say it about someone else but when people see me duh they know I'm fat!
  • seonf
    seonf Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I lost 55 kg but looking back on it, I was in denial. I was 135 kg and thought I just had "A few extra pounds" but I also didn't have a very high opinion of myself.
  • LemonBurns
    LemonBurns Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Good point. I didn't consider it from that point of view.
    So is it possible that women think of this term as offensive more than men do?
    [/quote]

Ummmmm, ya. Some of us are quite sensitive about it, and it seems okay to call ourselves fat - but heaven for-fend that someone else should do it! I have 2 daughters too, (aged 5 & 3) and from the moment the first one was born, I actually sat my mother down and told her that we were never to discuss our dislike for our bodies around her - EVER! We had always been referring to ourselves as fat, or complaining about one thing or another that we didn't like about ourselves - so I decided right then and there that I was NOT going to pass on my poor body image to my kids. FAT is not allowed to be talked about in our house ;)
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I have, I do, I am! Has nothing to do with my self esteem. People can look at me and see it. I am just being honest. To me what is

the difference between saying I am over weight or saying I am fat. But I sure hope that a year from now I can say, I used to be fat. I

never tells others they are fat. Mostly because I really don't care, I like/dislike people for who they are and how they live their lives.

Plus, I don't like to intentionally be mean, so I would not want to hurt someone's feeling. :noway:
  • Stompp
    Stompp Posts: 216
    Options
    I so thought you were gonna say something about when women say it's "fine"... carry on...
  • BelovedSOZO
    BelovedSOZO Posts: 20 Member
    Options

I agree! Better to say I am working on getting fit than trying to lose fat with young girls at this age. I don't want them calling others "fat". One of my daughters is underweight and even gets picked on for that. Crazy world we live in.
  • jcriscuolo
    Options

I agree! Better to say I am working on getting fit than trying to lose fat with young girls at this age. I don't want them calling others "fat". One of my daughters is underweight and even gets picked on for that. Crazy world we live in.

There is definitely a stigma to the word fat and not using it around children is understandable. I get that.
    But why is it that adults have a difficult time using it to describe themselves. Is it denial? Does that word carry such a huge negative connotation that it can't be used. I don't think so and that is why I can use it to describe myself. I have some relatives that I would estimate would be in the obese category but they never address the issue. I really think it is denial. And the reason I am on this site is because I am fat and I don't want to be fat anymore.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I do use it. I'm fat. No getting around it. No amount of clothes will hide it. Gluttony is not a private vice.

I forget who said that, but it's true.
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    I use it to describe my stomach layer that covers up these Abs that I know are somewhere back there...:laugh: and my thighs....They just won't move...granted they have progress but oh well....I will just keep working hard to get what I want...
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I call myself fat and obese..I actually haven't checked recently if I am still obese.hmm...

It really irritates me when people trying to be nice or whatnot tell me I'm not fat.
    I'm not fishing for compliments when I say I'm fat, it's just a fact of life.

OOOOO, and while I'm at it. Drives me nuts when skinny people say they are fat!