Shy to Work out in Public?

Options
13»

Replies

• bill_os24
    bill_os24 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    For me it is more about being embarrassed than shy. I was thinking about getting a personal trainer for the first few times. I think this would give me more confidence for when I go alone or, at the very least, force me to go and get myself over that hump of being embarrassed by having someone watch me the entire time. Has anyone tried this?
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    For me it is more about being embarrassed than shy. I was thinking about getting a personal trainer for the first few times. I think this would give me more confidence for when I go alone or, at the very least, force me to go and get myself over that hump of being embarrassed by having someone watch me the entire time. Has anyone tried this?

I work out once a week in the weights section with a PT. I don't go in there by myself, even though I could do some of the lifting I do without my PT.
  • StrawberrySt
    Options
    I have mild social anxiety so going to the gym, which is an unfamiliar setting, really freaks me out!

Considering in Australia gym memberships cost $50-$100 per month (with a 24 month contract!) I'm not ready to commit to something I'm unsure I can utilise.

I do my workouts at home and I feel comfortable going for a run/walk.
  • soon2bhotmom
    soon2bhotmom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I only use my gym for spinning in a group setting. I've never been in the co-ed gym...I'm too intimidated by all the serious, buff and toned people who seem to know how it all works. I'm sure its my own insecurities and they dont care about what I do, but I cant get past it yet.
  • retrogal76
    retrogal76 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Not shy so much as ashamed to be seen looking like this...my bff wants us to join a gym together and I really wish I could because I know there's equipment there that I could really benefit from but I just can't do it...instead I just do my in-home treadmill and Gilad dvds. And it sucks because it's so exhausting hiding from the world plus I feel badly that I'm letting my bff down...
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    It does suck! They need gyms for shy people... and all the shy people could go and be shy together... and then they wouldn't go because they're too shy to be seen there even if they're surrounded by other shy people. Oh my head.

Ooo, so then you would have each machine in little booths so nobody can see what you're doing and you don't see anybody else? And then, those of us like me who are not shy to workout around people would use the booths to just work out naked! It benefits everybody! :drinker:
  • 19howie78
    19howie78 Posts: 29
    Options
    i used to be like that but then joined a "bootcamp" company called the outdoor fitness company,,, clues kinda in the name ha ha,, and that was the end of the nerves,, if i wanted to get fit i would have to just suck up my gut,, and i had a big one,, and get on with it..
  • clockworkkarly
    Options
    *raises hand*

to me, going to the gym would be like shopping in the juniors section. "WTF ARE YOU DOIN?!"
    yeah, i've been wanting to join planet fitness but i can't help but think people are going to judge me and stare. i'm a pretty big girl so obviously i'll stand out. it doesn't help that most people at the gym are pretty fit! (nothing wrong with that, btw) it's just very intimidating for someone brand new.
  • Reeny1_8
    Reeny1_8 Posts: 277
    Options
    Not silly at all! I'm 4"7 and 211 lbs and I love my husband and kids and I can not bring myself to work out with them in the room. When I go to the gym it's at 6am so I know I'm the only one there! I can't stand to feel like someone is watching me (even if it's just me being silly).
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    *raises hand*

to me, going to the gym would be like shopping in the juniors section. "WTF ARE YOU DOIN?!"
    yeah, i've been wanting to join planet fitness but i can't help but think people are going to judge me and stare. i'm a pretty big girl so obviously i'll stand out. it doesn't help that most people at the gym are pretty fit! (nothing wrong with that, btw) it's just very intimidating for someone brand new.

I've actually noticed that the more fit people pay no attention to me, and it's the fellow fatties that try to put me down. Jerks, go eat a cheeseburger.
  • CrazyLazyStylist
    CrazyLazyStylist Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It took me forever to feel ok when I go to my runs outside. I asked the question on here about it too, now I dont care. Im so focused on getting through the the workout that I dont even think about them...However, if I went to the gym and tried to go to the weights and there were a bunch of fit people there I would feel judged... Someone told me once though "They walked through the same door you did."
  • celesteflenory
    celesteflenory Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am also weird about working out in public. It's funny, I used to walk 3 miles around the Shakesphere Fevistal Park by myself, every morning... And you pass people but not too many people, ya know. And now, I can't even make it once around the block without worrying about what people think when they see me. I have taken to 5am runs or after the sun goes down... weird. :blushing:
  • clockworkkarly
    Options
    *raises hand*

I've actually noticed that the more fit people pay no attention to me, and it's the fellow fatties that try to put me down. Jerks, go eat a cheeseburger.

wtf is up with that! i'd hiss at them.
  • Cheeta_HH
    Cheeta_HH Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Meeeee tooooo! I'm not so much shy about it as I am uncomfortable. I've never been very athletic and I was always THAT girl who was always the last one picked for the team! That has caused me to really be a loner when it comes to working out. I still have the mindset that I am not doing something right and feel very self-conscious in a gym!

I have recently had an NSV, though. I started running in October and ran outside throughout the winter. Of course I was the only one who was ever out on the path. Now that the weather has warmed up and lots of people are around, I have noticed that I don't feel as uncomfortable anymore. I've also started going to a yoga class with friends.

So, I guess I'm making progress, but I'm still one of the shy ones!
  • brndygrl98
    brndygrl98 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I won't work out when my hubby is at home. I can't stand to be watched when I'm working out!!