My Dr. says I need more iron!

:grumble: Ok so now my Dr. is worried that I do not have enough iron . now i know some of you will say that isn't that normal for a woman ? But apparently it is more than the normal. here is the deal, he want's me to take these iron pills, but they make me well::blushing: constipated . I know TMI :noway: ! what I need to know is what food can I eat to get the most iron?

please no spinch or liver:sick:

Replies

• mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    I had an iron deficiency after my second child.
    I also had to take iron pills.
    Red meats, and green veg are the way to go.
    But take the pills, and maybe a glass of Metamucil.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Vitamin C helps you absorb iron more efficiently. I like to squeeze a slice of lemon in my water when I eat, especially with fish. Lemon just goes good with fish. Lime goes with chicken.
  • FlynnMacCallister
    FlynnMacCallister Posts: 172 Member
    Gamey red meats are fantastic, and try taking some vitamin B12 every couple of days.

Pate is also fantastic if you can handle it.... it's not quite the same as just eating liver like steak....

Iron pills are such bull****; they give most people digestive problems.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Vitamin C helps you absorb iron more efficiently. I like to squeeze a slice of lemon in my water when I eat, especially with fish. Lemon just goes good with fish. Lime goes with chicken.

This. If you are taking iron pills take vitamin c along with it. You might be able to find a iron pill that has vitamin in it as well.
  • spinqueen72
    spinqueen72 Posts: 406 Member
    Women are more prone to be anemic...due to obvious reasons. lol
    Anyways...I take a SLOW-RELEASE FE (ferrous sulfate 45mg)
    So far, I haven't noticed anything weird or unusual.
    I'm anemic..so I have no choice. I can't get enough iron from my foods.
    Try the Slow FE....I get it at Walmart...it's around $7 for a box.
  • daisyverma
    daisyverma Posts: 234 Member
    Beets are supposed to be rich in iron
    as are black strap molasses

many cereals are fortified with Iron - I think Total is supposed to be good
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member

This. If you are taking iron pills take vitamin c along with it. You might be able to find a iron pill that has vitamin in it as well.
    And another benefit of vitamin C is that it will prevent scurvy. Garrr matey. Get ye yer sea legs and into the blarney blue or ye'll be sleeping in Davey Jones' locker. Thar's not a landlubber on this ship who wouldn't keelhaul his own grandmother for the silver in her hair. Garrrr
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    tumblr_lnf87ns2W11qassu0o1_500.gif

Sorry first thought that came to mind :)
  • embclark
    embclark Posts: 186 Member
    I take a multi-mineral. It comes in a capsule form so I don't have to guess if my body broke a pill down. I found it on vitacost, solaray is the brand I think... It has iron in it, just 100% of daily needed, but I figure with eating meat as well I should be good.
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Cut the pill in half or take it every other day. I also started eating Bison or Grass fed beef. It's lower in calories and fat than regular beef -- but high in iron. Do you have a cast-iron dutch oven? If you cook acidic foods (think anything tomato based) in a cast iron skillet, it leaches iron from the skillet. I try to cook any marinara or other tomato based sauce in cast iron.
    Do you like mussels? Clams? They are high in iron, too.

I have had low iron due to some WICKED TOMs... all of these things have helped. I now only take my (constipating) supplement around TOM time.
  • ChantelZf
    ChantelZf Posts: 81 Member
    I take one aday woman, it has all the iron I need and also the vitamin C as well as other helpful things. I've only started taking them 3 days ago but now that mention it... I do notice the same side effects as you....
  • Rover234
    Rover234 Posts: 17
    Ground flax works well...2 tablespoons a day. It can be thrown in smoothies or mixed with yogurt, oatmeal etc... But also increase your water intake.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Slightly on a tangent, I was iron deficient, turned out i was because I drank too much tea.
    Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Also, nice website you can search for specific nutrients and food rich in them:
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/

looks like fortified cereals have iron..interesting.
  • Rover234
    Rover234 Posts: 17
    Oh sorry the flax is for the constipation
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,446 Member
    I had the same problem. So much so I had to take iron 2-3X daily for a year.

Iron from veggies isn't as well absorbed as iron from meat, so pair vitamin c with your spinach and leafy greens (there are high in iron).

Cook in a cast iron pan, when you can.. You get extra iron.

Not all iron supplements are created equal, and the constipation should only last a short time. But experiment, some iron supplements were tougher on me than others. I can't take iron on an empty stomach. In fact, I can only take it if I have eaten starch as well, most are murder on my stomach. The most gentle one I found was called blood builders. IT had b-12 and vitamin c, and I could take it with a light snack with no issues.

Surprising sources of iron:
    molasses
    plan cocoa powder

So start making your own cocoa mix. And maybe sweeten it with molasses. :D
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    If your doctor suggested taking iron pills, then take them. Iron is critical in the production of hemoglobin which carries oxygen to the vital organs in the body. Foods rich in iron are:
    1: Meats
    2: Dark green leafy vegetables
    3: Dried beans
    4: Dried fruits
    5: Eggs

Take it with a glass of orange juice for best absorption.

Wait at least 1 hour after taking it before eating fiber, dairy, eggs or antacids.

May cause stools to turn black or dark green.

Take with lots of water, increase activity, fiber rich foods, & if that doesnt help try a stool softner like colace twice a day (NOT a laxative). Hope this helps.
  • rpphillip
    rpphillip Posts: 230 Member

And another benefit of vitamin C is that it will prevent scurvy. Garrr matey. Get ye yer sea legs and into the blarney blue or ye'll be sleeping in Davey Jones' locker. Thar's not a landlubber on this ship who wouldn't keelhaul his own grandmother for the silver in her hair. Garrrr

LOL so funny and thank you for the tips
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Get a vitamix and do green smoothies. Half veggies, half fruit to make them more palatable. Also, I'm no nutritionist, but I do know that some minerals simply won't absorb into your body in the presence of certain vitamins. So you might want to research that.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    What mg of iron pills do your doctor wants you to take? He or she should have given you a responsible number that wouldn't make you constipated. The higher the mg, it will make you constipated. How much fiber are you eating a day and how much water are you drinking. Both fiber and water helps with constipation.
  • rpphillip
    rpphillip Posts: 230 Member
    Slightly on a tangent, I was iron deficient, turned out i was because I drank too much tea.
    Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Also, nice website you can search for specific nutrients and food rich in them:
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/

looks like fortified cereals have iron..interesting.

wow that is interresting , I do drink a lot og coffee and tea:huh: