Body Image Trouble

Options
Over the last 10 months I started running (YAY C25k!!), I've lost 23 (ish) pounds, was 158lbs and am now 135lbs and went from a size 12 to an 8 (which is getting loose!!) Here's the thing: I KNOW I am considerably smaller than I was 10 months ago and everyone who knows me tell me that I am, too... and people who haven't seen me in a while can't seem to get over it when I run into them.

But Here's the thing: I still see the old me. I have a hard time being happy with what I see in the mirror because basically - it looks the same to me... flabby. I have the body type where fat went on in thin layers (many many layers on top of one another - for year after year after year) and it distributes pretty much evenly - and of course it's coming off in the same way - so while I get smaller, the problem areas - all the areas that I have ALWAYS hated still look the same, namely my tummy... it has rolls (and rolls and rolls) and my arms :( Buy hey, at least my double chin is gone - yay! I recently joined a gym so that I can start lifting weights, I hear that should help... so here's hoping.

I guess I am not sure what I am asking, or what I am expecting you all to do about it as far as motivating or helping me goes... but I just needed to vent... I find this very annoying!! Am I alone with this issue?

Replies

• dani22105
    dani22105 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You are beautiful and I'm so proud of you for doing something about your weight! Remember no one is perfect and you must love yourself, that includes the body God gave you!!!!!! Wake up tomorrow and look in the mirror. Tell yourself great things about your personality and also your body. (i.e- you're funny, beautiful, smart, hard-working, nice legs, pretty eyes..etc.

Love yourself today, tomorrow and every other day here forward. You are working on changing for the better!!!!

xo
  • LuneBleu85
    LuneBleu85 Posts: 217
    Options
    Congratulations on all your progress!!! Great job!!
    Part of the reason you might be struggling to see changes is because you have been seeing very small changes all along and are used to them! I lost about 10 pounds before I started MFP and people were mentioning to me all the time how I looked great and toned and I felt exactly the same as before. Did you take any before/after pics?
  • cruiser3004
    cruiser3004 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    You are definately not alone, I have lost 22lbs over the past 9 weeks and still feel the same as I did nine weeks ago, I know the scale and the tape measure are proof that weight loss is happening, but I think I am so used to being a fat guy that its going to take time for me to mentally adjust to the change.
  • iamlottiebee
    iamlottiebee Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You're not at all alone. I know exactly how you feel. It's been a really long slow weight loss process for me, and while I know thats the healthy way to do things, and will make my weigh loss a maintainable life change... I still feel like the same old fat girl.

I see old pictures of myself, and I know I don't look like that anymore. I put on clothes I used to wear, and they literally fall off me. But in my minds eye, I still don't feel slim. I think if I was put in a lineup of women sized from small to large and asked to place myself in the right slot... I would probably rank myself a lot bigger than I am, because I still feel that way. Even when I go clothes shopping, I'll pick up a size 12 thinking it'll fit, only to have to go back and downsize to a 6!

Maybe it just takes longer for your brain to catch up to your body on that kind of thing? I guess it's harder to change your perception of yourself than it is to change your body...
  • annavt09
    annavt09 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I feel ya...I'm dealin with the same thing today...I've lost about 10 pounds, and even though I've dropped a clothing size, I still see the same flabby tummy with the roll over the shorts ;) It's very frustrating... I've tried doing insane amts of cardio, and now I'm trying weight lifting. I recently upped my calories to maintenance, but I think I'm going to have to drop back down a bit... Anyways, you're not alone, but stick with it...healthy eating and physical fitness are more important than how you LOOK...hang in there.
  • LemonBurns
    LemonBurns Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Thanks Guys. I appreciate those words. And I think you're right - it has become the new 'normal' and I am not used to it yet... Even hubby tells me it's like being with a totally different woman - so I should take that as an indicator, eh? Ha ha ;)
  • j77r68
    j77r68 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I know it's hard. I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone on here that hasn't had body image issues. I myself am slowly getting better. I see my shape changing, I can grab less flab (sorry for the bluntness) around my gut etc.. I still say sometimes that there is still flab here and there and many other negative comments but they are usually on my down days. So I strive to find something positive. Like the fact that I have lost 26lbs since January. When I hit the 229 mark I am going to be able to ssay I haven't seen that number in 4 or 5 years and that is a huge achievement for me.

I think we will always be able to say something negative about oourselves but as long as we drown it with 3 or 4 positive things we'll be able to pull through it.
    You are doing great and don't you EVER forget that !!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Strength training! :) It will help you firm up, give you confidence in your abilities because you'll be challenging yourself and reaching new heights. And You already know you are amazing, because you started running. Soon you'll see your body in a new way because you added strength.
  • LemonBurns
    LemonBurns Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Strength training! :) It will help you firm up, give you confidence in your abilities because you'll be challenging yourself and reaching new heights. And You already know you are amazing, because you started running. Soon you'll see your body in a new way because you added strength.

Yes! Strength Training IS the way to go! I started, and I actually like it! Thanks for the encouragement everyone :)