Do you ever have moments where you ask yourself 'Is this rea

I feel like i'm really struggling at the moment, not just with my weight but the thought that I won't ever get to eat what I want, that my life with always be a challenge with my weight and of course it even gets harder with age.

Is it better to be fat and eat what you want or to look good and deprive yourself of delicious fattening food? - This is a question I've been asking myself lately.

Replies

• Yup, tough decisions....I get so frustrated too! I want to enjoy life and not worry about every flipping calorie, but I also know how good I feel when I'm lighter. So which "feel good" is more satisfying? So I do indulge (I had a yummy chocolate fudge milkshake yesterday), but I made sure I went lean the today. And tomorrow probably. So it's a balance and as long as calories in are less than calories out the theory is that you'll lose. I'm currently struggling because I've been "good" and gained! What the heck!?! Why am I logging every morsel to find that I gained?! Ahhh?!? I'm finding that I am a bit impatient and everyone here on MFP keeps telling me to give it more time. I've tried everything else, so what do I have to lose...but fat?
  • Jenph20
    Jenph20 Posts: 134 Member
    Weight is always a huge struggle for most people. I know iw asnt blessed with the fast metabolism!! At least you are on the right track with myfitnesspal!! this site got me to where i am now!! well, this and working out!! I have a ladies only support group on FB. If you want to join, just shoot me a msg. We would love ot have yoU!! :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member
    I feel like i'm really struggling at the moment, not just with my weight but the thought that I won't ever get to eat what I want, that my life with always be a challenge with my weight and of course it even gets harder with age.

Is it better to be fat and eat what you want or to look good and deprive yourself of delicious fattening food? - This is a question I've been asking myself lately.
    That's the problem with dieting. Restriction and omittance and why over 90% of people who diet gain the weight back. I eat whatever I want. Even all the fattening foods including junk food a couple of times a week. It can be done with moderation, exercise and discipline.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    The minute I tell myself I cant have something that's exactly what I want. Depriving myself doesn't work. The trick is to let ourselves have what we really want....and fit it into a healthy lifestyle. It can be done.
  • FlynnMacCallister
    FlynnMacCallister Posts: 172 Member
    It's not either-or, it's just a change to more moderation. To keep weight off and be healthy, you have to change your lifestyle for good, and no-one can be totally "healthy" in their eating habits and sane at the same time!

It's also not a question of looking good, it's about health, longevity, and quality of life. Looking smoking hot is just a bonus!

You can have junk and indulgent foods every so often, but you have to listen to your stomach and know to stop when you're full, and just don't eat them every single day.
  • dwtimeoutt
    dwtimeoutt Posts: 107 Member
    Try to eat what you want but in moderation. I wanted subway but found out from my dietician that a 6 inch sub is 3 breads. Tonight I had 1/2 of a sandwich 160 calories. Then had other things with my dinner that were lower calories. If you want a candy bar, check out how many calories it is and walk it off. It looks like you just joined though so don't get discouraged. 3 lbs is a good start. 3-5 lbs in one month is equal to 30-50 lbs this time next year. Hang in there.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    maybe you should rethink the idea of not being able to eat what you want.

there's a way to work anything into your diet, especially if you plan on keeping it for the rest of your life.
    i know one thing i would never be able to give up is ice cream, but it's to the point now that i'm so picky about the brand and the flavors i'll eat that any old ice cream wont be tempting to me.

same with juicy bacon cheeseburgers. i fit those in my diet by going to the gourmet places where you see them shape your burger and fry the the bacon instead of some disgusting fast food burger.
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    I agree with meshashesha20 and FlynnMacCalli. It's all in the way you perceive it. After your taste begins to change, you'll realize that many of your favorite foods don't taste so good anymore. You'll start to look at certain things and visualize the harm it does to your body. You'll start feeling better and have more energy and mental clarity. It's a win-win situation. Look good, feel good, be healthy. You can have whatever you like, just in strict moderation. Plan it out. Then you'll be able to really appreciate the flavors of the food. Best of luck to you.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 615 Member
    This journey isn't going to work if you make it too restrictive. You can enjoy all your favorite foods as long as you are able to stay at a caloric deficit and keep your macros in line.