I'm so hungry I could eat my own hand.

Options
Yes, I think I've got the diet crazies. How do you keep yourself from eating everything in your fridge when celery just won't cut it? I mean, I've eaten enough calories for the day, but my stomach is demanding to be fed. I've had to cut back on quite a few calories to reach my goals so the lack of yumminess in my diet is starting to get to me. I can't seem to find or make anything that's satisfying and delicious and that'll curb the late night hunger. But I don't wanna be eating wood chips and card board either. Any ideas?

Replies

• savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to stick to fruit when I get hungry - apples or pears seem to be pretty filling to my stomach.
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    is there something specific you're craving that could be replaced with something low cal??

for example when i want salty and crunchy i can eat pickles, or celery/cucs and a bit of hummus

if sweet i do some mixed berries with a spoon or two of yogurt

or what about those 100 cal snack packs there are sweet and salty options

and of course as everyone will say, LOTS OF WATER!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    As much as we all want to eat perfectly, sometimes you have to be bad. :tongue: If you need to eat something, burn off the calories first.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :frown: Sometimes a long walk and/or a long shower helps with cravings. Keep yourself busy with things that are NOT compatable with eating. Swimming would be great, plus you'd burn a bunch of calories.

Brush your teeth, because NOTHING tastes good after toothpaste :wink:

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • lynniejones
    lynniejones Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Apparently catching and eating a squirrel helps. Hehehe.

:laugh:
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    for my sweets at night I used to eat Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches. One day I went to a store that didn't have that kind so I looked at the regular Blue Bell Ice Cream sandwiches and it wasn't much more in calories and it tastes so much better. Another idea the mini Blue Bell Sandwiches. They are a lot less and smaller. I've learned that when a product says low fat or low sugar it's not that much lower. Also lots of water.
  • angelae39
    angelae39 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I agree with the blue bell mini ice crean sandwiches. They are only 100 calories and taste really good.
  • Kendra7107
    Kendra7107 Posts: 122
    Options
    Don't start gnawing on any body parts just yet!

If it's something specific you are craving, can you just eat it and factor in your calories? Maybe knock off a few calories tomorrow if you aren't too low already. Maybe you can add some more exercise in tomorrow if it's too late tonight. Depending on where you live, if you are on the West coast you can get out and walk maybe? It's not quite 8pm here, still time to do some exercise.

I'm not trying to suggest you do something bad, but I find that if I break down and eat something I'm craving, I feel better in the long run. If I don't, I tend to keep eating because I can't get satisfied. By the end of the day, I usually go over my calories with my healthy snacks and I would have been in the same boat had I just eaten what I wanted to begin with.

We are all going to have days like this. :-( I did yesterday, it was like I had a hollow leg and just could not get full. I ended up eating about three helpings of healthy nuts, going over by 450 points. I should have just eaten the candy bar as I that's what I wanted!! It was only 240 calories, not all that healthy but once in a while won't hurt.

Sorry, I'm not much help am I?
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    drink some water. that is what I am doing right now, seems to be helping. :flowerforyou:
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I agree with Kendra, just eat whatever you are craving. DON'T start grazing though or you will eat up the whole house. If you are realllllly hungry, drink a glass of water or eat a healthy snack (like an apple) and then eat your treat of choice. I have learned that depriving yourself gets you nowhere...and I have lost weight still eating the foods I love, only in moderation.

I do have a new fave snack that always settles my sweet tooth....1/2 cup of Greek yogurt (Fage=amazing) with a squeeze of chocolate sauce. Very filling + lotsa protein!
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Brush your teeth, wait 20 min by taking a walk or read something. Then if you are still truely hungry, eat something with protien....a fistfull of unsalted nuts, pa lowfat cheese stick, or if you eat meat a few ounces of lean lunchmeat.

Brushing your teeth fools your brain into thinking you are eating and can satisfy a sweet craving. Waiting twenty minutes allows your body to reproccess the original hunger/craving. The protien, if you are truely hungry, will stimulate the hormones that tell your brain that you are satisfied and keep you "feeling" full for a few hours.
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    I don't know....your own hand might be tasty and filling.
  • lynniejones
    lynniejones Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

I'm still voting for greeneyedmonster's squirrel idea.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options

:laugh: And probably not a diet breaker since you are simply repositioning it into your body. Not a pound gained.:laugh:
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options

:laugh: And probably not a diet breaker since you are simply repositioning it into your body. Not a pound gained.:laugh:

LOL

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • 2kaizen
    2kaizen Posts: 64
    Options
    I call it a day and go to bed! If that is not at all an option the take your pick: - or do all 3 in the following order.
    1 - drink water :drinker:
    2 - exercise first ... then eat
    3 - indulge ... a little

kudos to you for asking for help! :flowerforyou: And it is NOT okay to be hungry all the time - it could make you quit. Can you increase your calories by a small amount each day and be content with a slower weight loss?

Hang in ... it is just a phase and it will get better!