Not doing very well - need help!

Options
Hi everyone,

When I first joined I thought I'd just fill in the diary myself and seeing it all written out would be incentive enough. However I've done REALLY badly, and after a few weeks of not recording anything at all I've only just started again. I feel need some friends to help me/motivate me along the way!

I'm not trying to lose that much weight, I've said ideally 17lb; I just want to be able to wear nice summer clothes without being sickened at myself. Because I'm still roughly at the size where I can almost hide it with baggy enough clothes it's easy to lose motivation, especially when people look at me wearing my not-flattering-but-very-concealing sack-shaped clothes and say "surely you don't need to lose that much weight?" Then I get complacent.

SO. If anyone fancies befriending me and sharing willpower tips that would be brilliant. As so far I think I've shown... I really can't do this alone!

Thanks xxx

Replies

• nursing23
    nursing23 Posts: 75
    Options
    I am in almost the same situation here.Except I just started. I'd like to lose around 40 pounds. But I am still able to semi-hide how huge I am in baggy clothes. I know what you mean when you say you become complacent, completely. I need a lot of motivation myself. So I'll be here to motivate you if you'd like to do the same :smile:
  • Get_Me_Fit
    Options
    I sent you an add friend (:
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    It helps me to track everything, every day.

Even on the days I've just eaten everything in sight, and I feel terrible.

When I actually see what I'm consuming it really does help and motivate me to make better choices.
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    stop wearing the baggy clothes to hide it from yourself, the reminder might be the motivation you need to stay on track. Also buy that outift you want to wear when you get to your target weight and put it out so you look at it at least once a day.
  • lovemydrmartens
    lovemydrmartens Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I only had 14lbs to lose and am struggling to keep myself going for the last few... and I get the surely you don't need to diet thing too... friend me by all means and we can try and keep each other on track :)
  • sarat1987
    sarat1987 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly the same, didn't think i'd need to do anything but download the app and the rest would happen. It's not happening! I know its me and the choices that I make, I record all day and then as soon as its after 5pm and I go home.....it all goes out the window!

Good luck though, I'm sure we'll both get there in the end! :)
  • sleonard14
    Options
    I am in a similar boat! I don't feel good about myself and people don't think that I need to diet. I also just want to wear cute summer clothes and not feel self conscious about it. I need to lose a good 15-20 lbs to get to that point. I have just started buckeling down, and I'm really hoping I can stick with it, and lose these extra lbs I've put on! I do think that by recording everything you intake, good or bad, it will help to see where and when during the day there could be improvements.
  • hinzmand
    hinzmand Posts: 8
    Options
    Find and explore different behaviors other than eating in the evening. Are you really hungry or just bored or emotional?
  • Colofit
    Colofit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Perhaps focus on the exercise part! Try to increase that and start to see what happens (don't eat those calories back yet)! Also, take your measurements!! A friend of mine was getting upset not seeing any changing on the scales and I told her to only weigh in every other week but pay attention to the measurements...she came in to work the next day all happy as she discovered she lost major inches and didn't know it!!!! Good luck! (add me as a friend if you like). :0)
  • Carnivorekat
    Carnivorekat Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I am struggling too - I have a lot of weight to lose and can't even hide it under baggy clothes - I need to lose over 100lbs have decided to draw a line under the last few months and have stopped weighing myself and worrying about the numbers am going to go by clothes sizes for a while when things start to get looser I will know I am doing things right - am going to be healthy eating rather than really dieting, making sure I choose the right foods and listening to my own body to tell me when I am full up
  • Mammoth1234
    Options

When I actually see what I'm consuming it really does help and motivate me to make better choices.

I know I need to keep that up... It got a bit depressing when several days in a row it was like "you are 17 squillion calories over your target consumption" but I do know that giving up won't help at all!
  • Mammoth1234
    Options
    Find and explore different behaviors other than eating in the evening. Are you really hungry or just bored or emotional?

Yeah I know I'm not hungry, there are 2 key problems:

- I eat when I'm bored, and crave sugar CONSTANTLY
    - I drink too much... And then when I've had a few glasses of wine I forget that a pizza does not constitute a 'light snack'
  • MyTimeMyYear
    MyTimeMyYear Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    WATER, WATER, WATER.....I highly suggest watching hungryforchange.tv you just need to give your email address and it is about an hour long. It will totally motivate you and is a real eye opener. Could explain a lot in trying to loose those last few stubborn pounds....fat is not our problem. SUGAR is the enemy. Please watch it. I did yesterday via my personal trainer. Made me pretty angry when you understand the "business" of food. Friend me if you want some funny cheering. You can do it!

:bigsmile:
  • defyallodds
    defyallodds Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    i'm not doing too hot either, and i just started this week. i'm making sure to log everything, and making my diary visible, hoping that will give me motivation...but even logging in the "bad" days can help spot issues...i'll provide motivation!! I need it too!
  • dngortegae
    dngortegae Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hang in there, I think it takes all of us a few weeks to get in the groove of this program. Add me as a friend and we'll work together!
  • smantha32
    Options

I know I need to keep that up... It got a bit depressing when several days in a row it was like "you are 17 squillion calories over your target consumption" but I do know that giving up won't help at all!

It is really depressing to look at your calorie intake and think "Damn, I f*cked up, AGAIN."

But eventually if you keep it up you'll think of ways to do better.

And if you give up and stop tracking because you hate seeing yourself make mistakes, the only thing that will happen is your weight will keep going up.

Been there, trust me. :smile:
  • smantha32
    Options

Yeah I know I'm not hungry, there are 2 key problems:

- I eat when I'm bored, and crave sugar CONSTANTLY
    - I drink too much... And then when I've had a few glasses of wine I forget that a pizza does not constitute a 'light snack'

When you start making better choices your cravings will start to subside.

And there are emotional reasons for eating even when you think you're eating because you just don't have anything better to do. And really takes a long time to identify what they are sometimes. But if you stop and think while you're bingeing, maybe you can identify yours.

For instance, boredom was always one of my reasons too. And stress.
    I took a couple weight management classes that were available at work this last year and I had an epiphany during one of them. That the real reason I over eat is because I'm disappointed with almost all aspects of my life. I'm not anywhere near where I thought I would be right now.

So even though I still screw up food wise, it's not as bad now because I can tell myself that even though I'm disappointed with my week or my day, that eating that ice cream will only make me feel better for about 15 minutes, and I still have my ice cream but I'll only eat half the pint instead of the whole thing. And maybe one day soon I won't feel like I need it at all. :happy:
  • stephc0711
    stephc0711 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    You can add me as a friend if you like, I like having the mutual support. :)
    If there's anyone else who'd like to add me, that's fine, too. The more friends, the better!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

I think that's the key (not that I'm always consistent myself). But logging everything you eat creates a special accountability. It also can be educational.

The thing is not to beat yourself up for eating that's already in the past. If you keep making poor choices that you have to record you can honestly ask yourself whether you are committed.
  • PrincessEliNa
    PrincessEliNa Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Kinda in the same boat. Schedule was crazy this past month and I'm honestly having the hardest time losing the last 6lbs.

My nutrition has been awful, awful, and now I think I'm not eating enough calories. I'm ready to get back on the "health" wagon, so please add me :)