does anyone NOT have cheat days/meals?

Options
Hi all,

I just started eating really clean couple of months ago. After a few days of eating clean I do not even crave it anymore but I end up having one cheat meal a week of junk food, (just because I was told I should) but after I eat the one meal I crave it so much more and give in. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with them or people who do have them but cheat meals rather than fulfilling the desire only seems to make it worse.

Is it okay for me to NOT have cheat meals? DOes anyone else not have cheat meals/days?

Replies

• Stephanie198907
    Stephanie198907 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat meals. I never got the point. The way I used to eat before was atrocious so I found alternatives to the foods I used to eat which taste just as good, if not better, than the foods I ate before. Which, in my mind, eliminates the need for "cheating".
  • barenaud13
    Options
    The whole point of a cheat meal or day is so that you actually hold yourself accountable on days when you are eating strictly. They are by no means mandatory, especially not if you already have the control otherwise. I don't have cheat meals OR days. Calories are calories, and I'm counting them for a reason. Once I reach my goal weight, I'll have plenty of wiggle room in between a glazed donut and my maintain amount!
  • Lissakaye81
    Lissakaye81 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I don't. I know I could put back on in a day what I spent a month burning off. I take an appetite suppressant supplement and forgot to take it with me out of town and ended up carb binging one day and drank a mixed drink so I went over by 500 cals for 2 days, but actually still lost on those 2 days, so I don't know. I still eat some goodies everyday, but trying to eat healthy for the most part. I think having cheat days goes against everything I am working for.
  • Redapplecandie
    Redapplecandie Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    That term is not even in my vocabulary. I eat what I want/can in moderation. Including chocolate. I make it work for me, if it doesn't fit in my log, I don't eat it.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days because I couldn't exercise enough to burn it off.
  • kototo
    kototo Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    That term is not even in my vocabulary. I eat what I want/can in moderation. Including chocolate. I make it work for me, if it doesn't fit in my log, I don't eat it.

I eat what I want also. However, I am more aware of the calories, carb and fat content now. I make better choices. I most certainly have a treat when I want it and never consider it cheating... life is way too short and I cant possibly be that disciplined for the rest of my life. I want to be able to have an ice cream cone on a hot day etc. Knowing how that decision affects my daily values is important! Put a scoop of ice cream on your oatmeal in the morning instead of brown sugar and milk! LOL Live on the edge!
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I don't because I don't allow myself to crave things, I budget for things like that. If I did, this would not be the lifestyle change it has turned out to be and I would not stay with it.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I don't plan cheat meals or cheat days. Sometimes they just happen, though.

However, since I'm [mostly] human, I just get back on track and keep moving forward.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I never understood such day. Why are you restrictive during the other days ?
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the logic of cheat days/meals. I have specific fitness and body goals, too, so I am even more disciplined about what I eat now than at the beginning of my journey.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I never understood such day. Why are you restrictive during the other days ?

Where do you want me to begin?
    well most of the food i would be eating on said days would have like 1000+ cals per meal.
    I feel so much better when eating clean, when I eat junk food now I always feel sick, it really helps my depression and just generally I have more energy.
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Most Fridays or Saturdays I'll go over my calories by about 100-300. I don't really consider it a cheat day, but ehh.
  • alpha_andy
    alpha_andy Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Cheat meals are BS if you ask me. Why give up several days of progress on a cheat meal / day?

The only time I cheat is when I'm socially obligated to eat more normally (business dinner or a birthday for instance).
  • Feathil
    Feathil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    It's usually when I'm unable to avoid a social situation that I have to try to account for it. Paddy's day had to have a proper meal in a restaurant and plenty of drinking, but I logged it as best I could.

I don't assign myself cheat days because often I prefer the healthier snacks and meals I have now. But today my parents are visiting me, and that usually means chinese or something similar. It's situations like that I consider out of the ordinary, and I guess 'cheats' or 'breaks from the diet' but I still try to keep it under my calorie limit. I try to be more responsible in those situations even if it isn't the best foods for me.
  • baileylm
    baileylm Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You can have a "cheat meal" without it having to be junk food. I believe the reasoning behind it is to give your metabolism a little jolt to keep it burning efficiently. The only thing needed to do that is a jump in calories but it can come in any form you like. For some, that may be junk food, for others you can just eat more of the good stuff. I agree that having a little junk food just stimulates your appetite for it.
  • cmayfield3
    cmayfield3 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I don't really know what the term means. If it means you eat and don't worry about the calories and don't log it, then no. Everything I eat, I log, and I make sure I am within my weekly goal (meaning some days I go over, some under, but I make sure it averages out). But, I occasionally eat empty calories. I will have a candy bar for a snack, or some deep fried yummy, or a donut for breakfast. I don't consider that cheating, but some might.
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I don't have "planned" cheat days. Eating really low calories and having planned cheat days was a recipe for binging for me. Now I eat more calories (1800) everyday, and if I decide to go out to eat, our have a treat, I do. With a little planning, I can generally have what I want and still fit it in my goals. I have also found that by not being hungry all the time and having evened out my blood sugar, I don't WANT those other things as bad. I usually want to see a balanced day more than I want that dessert, etc. I do keep things like chocolate pudding that I can work into my day, and still get something tasty.

Having said all that, if I had a special occasion where I wanted to go out and eat whatever I wanted, I would do it. I would just probably eat less of it, and I don't do it weekly.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I don't really know what the term means. If it means you eat and don't worry about the calories and don't log it, then no. Everything I eat, I log, and I make sure I am within my weekly goal (meaning some days I go over, some under, but I make sure it averages out). But, I occasionally eat empty calories. I will have a candy bar for a snack, or some deep fried yummy, or a donut for breakfast. I don't consider that cheating, but some might.

It's not, not logging.. it is "eating empty calories" to me as you put it.
  • Roxie861
    Roxie861 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    :smile: Personally I dont have cheat meals as its just too much and can be a third if not more of your daily calories.

I will on the other hand have a biscuit every now and then if my calores allow it....AND only on days when I have done at least 40 minutes of exercise.

It hasnt harmed me so far to be honest.

To he honest I think its VERY true when they say everything in moderation.....the rest of my diet i eat very clean :smile:
  • TinnedTuna
    TinnedTuna Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days, it spoils the whole thing,
    at first i said i could have a tub of ice cream at the end of every month,
    did it once and it made me feel so bad like i had just waisted that month, thrown it all away just for a tub of stupid ice cream...
    so i don't do that any more and i feel better about things.
    but i have eaten things i didn't plan on sometimes, but not a cheat day as such,