HELP!! Chubby girl eating too little??

Options
I started my "healthy lifestyle" (diet is a bad, bad word) in January and I have lost 16 lbs so far! So, that's great but I'm a little confused. I read posts about people having dropped 40 lbs since January 1st and I'm like....wtf?? I don't do a ton of exercise (30 mins of JM Shred and 40 mins of walking a day usually) but I am eating super healthy! I'm 211 lbs now and know that the weight should be coming off faster. So what am I doing wrong? I have my calories set at 1200 because that's what MFP suggests. Should I be eating more? I have read so many posts and forums in hopes of clarification but I am still totally lost.

Could anyone possible send me in the right direction? My diary is open so I would love if someone could take a look and see what I might do to improve. (NOTE: yesterday sucked! Well, it was a great time but the 6 coolers I drank didn't help my calorie intake) But hey, that's life!! lol.

Any information that you have would be GREAT!! And I'm always looking for new, motivational friends so add me if you please :)

Replies

• lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Your diary doesn't appear to be open right now, at least not for me. I will say that sometimes people's weight does drop off more quickly, but if you look at your progress I think you're doing very well! You're averaging more than a pound per week of weight loss. That's more than four sticks of butter every week gone from your body. Some people's metabolism, I think, just allows them to lose faster. I'm sure that isn't too helpful for you but this just might be your body's normal rate of weight loss. Keep up the great work!
  • lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Also...no, I don't really think your calories are set too low. But if you think it might help, you could try bumping it to 1500 for two weeks. You and I are different sizes so it's hard for me to make a good guess...
  • lauraashley85
    lauraashley85 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Whoops!! I thought it was open! I just changed it now though. And I totally agree that people lose weight at different rates. I guess I just want to be in the "faster" category!! lol
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to click on "tools" on the blue bar at the top, click "BMR" and see what yours is (mine is just over 1300) and then set your goal a little above it and see how it goes :)

For example if your BMR is 1450 try 1500.. Round the number up to the nearest 1000 and try that.

A lot of it is trial and error as different things work for different people :)
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    We all do. I think I've lost weight very quickly and then read someone who's lost even faster. Ultimately your body will lose weight at it's own pace.

If it was me that would be too low, but you seem to be hitting your targets most days. If you're going to eat at 1200 then you need to nett that goal. If you start plateauing or getting really hungry then be prepared to eat more. Don't drop any lower though.
  • alt1268
    alt1268 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I would like to make a suggestion after looking at your diary, I noted you that you have corn, noodles, rice. A lot of starches. Try getting rid of your starch. (starch turns to sugar) or at least limit the amount. Try eating more protein instead. The other thing I noted is that you should increase your green vegatables.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be in such a rush to get into the "faster" category. It's taken me months to learn proper nutrition, and I'm nowhere near informed enough yet - the slower you lose it , the more it becomes a habit, and a lifestyle.
  • shalinimunjal
    shalinimunjal Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    First, eat your exercise calories back. Second, make healthy changes like PP suggested. Keep working on it, it will come off! One thing I've learned is compare=despair. Your loss is better than mine and I've been at it since December last yr. The only loser in this game is the one who gives up!!
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I don't think you necessarily need to set your calories higher, but you could try it... but personally, eating my exercise calories back helps me a ton. Do you eat your exercise calories?

Also, it sounds like your exercise regimen is pretty solid. You could try walking faster or jogging for 5-10 minutes, just to up your cardio a little bit. It usually helps people when they switch things up with their exercise.

BUT it sounds like the weight is coming off. 16 pounds is great! Keep at it, and don't get discouraged by comparing yourself to the people who have lost big numbers. Everyone's bodies are different. I had a lot of trouble losing when I was your size/weight too. I could only ever get off 1 pound per week.

Just keep at it and and be proud of what you've achieved so far!!
  • NicevilleMarcy
    NicevilleMarcy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It is frustrating when the weight doesn't come off as fast as we would like it. Especially when we're working so hard at it. My doc restricted me to 1300 calories. I don't know where he came up with that number, but it definitely worked. I lost 50 pounds over the course of about a year. Unfortunately, life took some twists and turns, and I put a good bit of it back on. So, I'm starting over again. Back on track with a new attitude. I'm about your size, so maybe bumping your calorie intake to 1300 might help. Also, be careful not to eat your snacks too late at night, and I agree with the comment to increase your protein. Make sure you're getting plenty of water too. You are losing, so you're obviously doing things right, and you're getting a good bit of exercise so you should be noticing changes in your body too. I hope some of this helps. Keep up the good work. You're doing great!
  • lauraashley85
    Options
    Thank you guys so much!!! I will definitely keep all of your suggestions in mind. Especially the comment about the starches... I never realized that to be honest. As far as protein goes...I am trying to up it but it's so hard when I am a recovering carbaholic. I just recently decided to reduce the amount of bread and pasta that I am eating in hopes of speeding things up.

Thanks again for the advice and support!! You all rock!! :)
  • momof2winsplus
    momof2winsplus Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Congrats! 16 lbs in 12 weeks is awesome weight loss!

Comparing lb to lb of weight loss is very deceptive. The higher your starting weight, the more you can safely lose at a time. But comparing your weight loss journey to that of a 400 lb man would not be fair.

Also, look at your %body fat and inches lost, not just what the scale says.

You are succeeding!
  • lauraashley85
    Options
    Thanks so much!!! Always nice to get the support!!