Questions about NROLFW

Options
Okay - so I just got the book last night. I only read about 3 pages before I passed out . Before I get all excited about this, is there anyway to do this program without belonging to a gym? I don't have a home gym, and I don't belong to a gym. All I have is my damn determination, and some free weights. I am not sure if a gym membership fits into our budget right now. If I do need to join a gym, do any of the ladies on here recommend a gym? I have heard horror stories about Golds and LA fitness. Any recommendations? Do you guys prefer an all womens gym? I plan on starting the C25K and NROLFW on April 9th - but I am trying to get prepared for it...

Any advice would be appreciated!!!

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    You don't need a gym if you have a pair of dumbbells (maybe 10 and 15 pounders) and an Olympic barbell with some removable plates.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Craiglist can be a liftsaver if you're tight on money. I was unhappy with the corporate gym I was attending, and felt like my progress was being held back.
    I invested 200 dollars (originally) into a squat rack, olympic weight set, and a bench. And started training with only those things and saw amazing progress. Packed on 20 pounds over the winter and watched all of my lifts go up. (along with enjoying things a lot more. it's great to train on your own or with a reliable partner, and not have to worry about other gym goers)

So don't think you'd have to spend a ton to have a home gym that would cover the basics. If you can get a barbell and some plates, you can go a long way.
  • Bunnie_Rex
    Bunnie_Rex Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have a question also. I read a sample of the book last night, but I havent bought it yet.

Does anyone know if this type of program would work for someone who has a lot of weight to lose?

Everyone keeps saying how they either gained pounds of muscle or lost no actually pounds at all. Im not a weight where I cant just "tone" up. Ive got some serious pounds to lose!

So far, Ive been doing cardio 5 to 6 times a week and weight training with a Les Mills Pump Program.
    Sorry if Im hijacking the thread.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    You don't need a gym if you have a pair of dumbbells (maybe 10 and 15 pounders) and an Olympic barbell with some removable plates.

I agree. But I would recommend adjustable dumbbells or at least dumbbells up to 20/25 pounds. And I've heard craigslist is a great place to find used weights and benches.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I have a question also. I read a sample of the book last night, but I havent bought it yet.

Does anyone know if this type of program would work for someone who has a lot of weight to lose?

Everyone keeps saying how they either gained pounds of muscle or lost no actually pounds at all. Im not a weight where I cant just "tone" up. Ive got some serious pounds to lose!

So far, Ive been doing cardio 5 to 6 times a week and weight training with a Les Mills Pump Program.

Yes, this is great for everybody! You will lift 2-3 times a week and use diet to create a calorie deficit. You can sprinkle in some cardio on your days off from lifting. Amazing results will follow!
  • myboysmomx2
    myboysmomx2 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    You don't need to have a gym membership to do NROL4W, but you do need an Olympic set or at least the bar with some beginner plates & some dumbbells. There were several of my friends who asked me about the program, so I wrote a blog about it to answer their questions. You can see it here complete with pictures of my home gym:

http://www.transformingabetterme.blogspot.com/

Also, I saw that someone else asked about whether or not she should start NROL4W because she still has weight to lose. I say absolutely! Don't wait until you reach your goal or until you are "almost there." You CAN do it, NOW! Go for it!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    LOL, we have a nice, well established group for this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/119-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w-

We'd love to have you, the support from those women is awesome!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Okay - so I just got the book last night. I only read about 3 pages before I passed out . Before I get all excited about this, is there anyway to do this program without belonging to a gym? I don't have a home gym, and I don't belong to a gym. All I have is my damn determination, and some free weights. I am not sure if a gym membership fits into our budget right now. If I do need to join a gym, do any of the ladies on here recommend a gym? I have heard horror stories about Golds and LA fitness. Any recommendations? Do you guys prefer an all womens gym? I plan on starting the C25K and NROLFW on April 9th - but I am trying to get prepared for it...

Any advice would be appreciated!!!

In many cases, Lou does address what to do if you don't have a gym or don't have the suggested equipment.
  • cmp04d
    cmp04d Posts: 59 Member
    Options

I just finished stage 1 of this program with 60+ lbs still to lose. Since I started, I have noticed my weight loss has slowed down, but the inches have been falling off, which is way better than just watching the number on the scale.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    You can do this at home but I think it would be best to have at least an olympic bar and power rack. Squats and deadlifts are an important part of the program and weight lifting in general, that I think it's beneficial to have the oly bar. Check out Craigslist. I don't have a cable machine so I have to substitute some exercises and it seems to be working out. I'm only in the middle of stage 1 though.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options

Also, I saw that someone else asked about whether or not she should start NROL4W because she still has weight to lose. I say absolutely! Don't wait until you reach your goal or until you are "almost there." You CAN do it, NOW! Go for it!

Oh, and this ^^^ for sure!
  • JennC831
    JennC831 Posts: 631 Member
    Options

I agree with what others have said about it slowing down your weight loss and the fact that you will lose inches... I started the program back in the beginning of Jan and loved it, but I've started to hold off on going as heavy as I was (still lifitng, just not as heavy) since I wanted to concentrate on getting some more weight off...