Is Oatmeal bad for the weight?

Options

Replies

• lorraine311
    lorraine311 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I add it to my protein shake. A great breakfast!
  • Icedancer94
    Icedancer94 Posts: 108
    Options
    nothing is bad for weight gain, assuming it fits in your daily limits. for example, last night, I had room for a cadburry creme egg. it fit. so it wasn't bad for weight loss. also, it was delicious.

I looooooove cremé eggs. Just sayin' :-D
  • weathergirl320
    Options
    i dont eat oats for two reasons, one is because i have celiac and theres a huge potential fo cross contamination and its ridiculously expensive for gluten free oats. and the other reason is because i dont eat any grain products as they dont react well with my body, as in, if i eat them i get fat. lol
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I've never heard it's bad. Actually, quite the opposite - I've heard it's a super food.

I might be biased though because it was my go to breakfast throughout my journey. I love the stuff.

Corn and peanuts are the only true super foods. I mean, what else can you eat twice??
  • brk_1982
    brk_1982 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've never heard it's bad. Actually, quite the opposite - I've heard it's a super food.

I might be biased though because it was my go to breakfast throughout my journey. I love the stuff.

Corn and peanuts are the only true super foods. I mean, what else can you eat twice??

:noway: ewww
  • LJC44
    LJC44 Posts: 221
    Options
    Some seem to swear by it for breakfast and keeping their weight down, others seem to think it adds to weight gain, so which is correct?

I have eaten oatmeal every single day for the past 3 years or so. In my opinion, it is truly one of thebest breakfast foods besides eggs :) I buy weight control and mix in flaxseed. Plus it is something I could eat 20 times a day ha!
  • kealey1318
    kealey1318 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I buy the Quaker High Fiber Instant Oatmeal - Cinnamon Swirl... Not sure it's the BEST that I can do, but makes breakfast quick and easy and definitely better than some of the other alternatives that I could be having. 1 packet is more than adequate to fill me up!

160 calories, 2 grams fat (.5 saturated), no cholesterol, 220 sodium, 34 carbs, 10 fiber, 7 sugar

I know people seem to be a little bit averse to the instant, but I did look and the first ingredient is 'Whole grain rolled oats'... It's pretty tasty though!
  • LJC44
    LJC44 Posts: 221
    Options
    I buy the Quaker High Fiber Instant Oatmeal - Cinnamon Swirl... Not sure it's the BEST that I can do, but makes breakfast quick and easy and definitely better than some of the other alternatives that I could be having. 1 packet is more than adequate to fill me up!

160 calories, 2 grams fat (.5 saturated), no cholesterol, 220 sodium, 34 carbs, 10 fiber, 7 sugar

I know people seem to be a little bit averse to the instant, but I did look and the first ingredient is 'Whole grain rolled oats'... It's pretty tasty though!

I eat instant also and believe it's fine. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    i dont eat oats for two reasons, one is because i have celiac and theres a huge potential fo cross contamination and its ridiculously expensive for gluten free oats. and the other reason is because i dont eat any grain products as they dont react well with my body, as in, if i eat them i get fat. lol

I don't think they make you fat. May cause immune response and inflammation but wouldn't make you fat per se. You still need excess calories to make you fat.
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    oatmeal is fantastic and an excellent source of fibre. I don't eat it daily, but I do plan on having a big bowl of it tomorrow for breakfast! I've never had any problem losing weight while eating oats or any other grain. I eat grains several times a day, and as long as I don't cheat, I am always down the next morning.
  • LReneeWalker
    LReneeWalker Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Fixin to put some steel cut oats into the crockpot for breakfast for the week (My work week starts tomorrow). I add apples to it and mmm good!
  • LoveLivingHealthy
    Options
    The 100% whole grain oats is what your body needs to metabolize. Its the instant oatmeal that is bad for you because of the all the processed sugar in it.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Thought this topic had died a death.
    I seem unable to find steel cut oats here in the Uk health shops, so no idea where I would find them.
    My issue is I sometimes crave a bowl of oatmeal before bed and it feels a very unhealthy time to eat it.
    It doesn't take me over my calorie intake but it is part of my tendency to crave cereals and carb rich foods.
    If I go a few days with less carbs, I end up craving like crazy.
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I seem unable to find steel cut oats here in the Uk health shops, so no idea where I would find them.
    My issue is I sometimes crave a bowl of oatmeal before bed and it feels a very unhealthy time to eat it.
    It doesn't take me over my calorie intake but it is part of my tendency to crave cereals and carb rich foods.
    Just a question, what do you eat for breakfast and/or morning snack? I too am a carboholic. I stopped eating any sugar in the morning and it helped reduce my cravings the rest of the day.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Only if you have a psychological addiction to Oatmeal.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    Anyone else eat oatbran?

Whilst shopping I thought to get some instead of my usual rolled jumbo oats

I've had it before whilst doing the stupid Dukan diet and liked it
  • deliciousappleblue
    deliciousappleblue Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I kind of hate oatmeal, but I swear by it. I make my own from scratch, so it's only a few calories per bowl and because I hate the sweetness and texture of instant, and I'm *always* under my calories for the day when I start with oatmeal. It keeps me satisfied all day, so that even when I get hungry again later I don't need much to fill me up. I can't imagine it causing weight gain unless you ate it all day, every day (it is pretty heavy), but it's so filling that why would you even need to? :)
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Just a question, what do you eat for breakfast and/or morning snack? I too am a carboholic. I stopped eating any sugar in the morning and it helped reduce my cravings the rest of the day.

I have lately been having a banana with peanut butter spread on it, and some cottage cheese, and that seems to keep me full with a glass of water. My cravings tend to be evening time, usually before bed, or when I return from cycling.
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    An excess of calories makes you gain weight, not a specific food. If you like oatmeal, eat it! Just maintain a calorie deficit. I once ate 5 bowls in one day :p
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is good because it contains fiber which is good for maintaining weight.
    Try to get 20 - 35 grams of fiber per day from whole grain breads and oats, fresh fruit and vegetables.
    I agree with the others that oatmeal is not bad as long as it fits within your daily calorie goals.
    Fiber keeps you "regular" and may be good for lowering cholesterol.:flowerforyou: