ATTENTION FEMALE BODY BUILDERS AND FITNESS

Options

Replies

• karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'm a shopaholic, so when I started lifting, I was more than happy to buy/try any supplements that came my way. Right now I take:

-Multivitamin (when I think about it);
    -Iron supplement (I an not anemic, but I'm too close so this was recommended by the pharmacist);
    -Calcium + vitamin D supplement;
    -Glutamine + BCAA on the days I workout (I use Beverly International Glutamine + BCAA powder);
    -L-Carnitine (Dymatize liquid);
    -CLA (PVL essentials soft gels).
    I also take omega 3 (liquid or soft gel) but I haven't been taking them regularly, I keep forgetting about them.

And of course Whey protein (I use it for shakes, pancakes, protein bars, etc!).

I am looking to try creatine but not 100% sure yet.
  • canroadrunner
    canroadrunner Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    If your hair is falling out, there is something wrong with your diet that supplements probably won't fix. Are you eating enough calories?
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    i do a lactose free no whey shake that i mix using vanilla almond milk. It's yummy and no weird side effects small thing is about 9.99 at wal-mart. and then i'm using scivation for recovery and that is yummy as well got that from bodybuilding.com hope that helps.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    bumping for the info
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Fish Oil
    Women's Active Multivitamin
    AMP Extreme Protien

considering adding CLA and/or something for energy. I had hair falling out issue, it was 2 things, first not eating enough, then eating a LOT of protien PLUS using products that had protien(keratin) in them. You can have too much protien where hair is concerned and it will become brittle and break off. Talk with doc about hair and assess your protien levels.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    If you are hitting your protein without shakes then don't drink em.

Is it no matter what you mix it with? If not, try blending them with fruits and ice and splash of OJ -- you can't even taste it.

If it's no matter what and you are getting your protein from food - drink a glass of chocolate milk after you work out :)

Yup, chocolate milk is another recovery drink I've used except it seems to disappear out of the carton rather quickly :tongue: It's one of my items that I need to use a lot of self control with, lol.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    Protein Powder, ether ON 100% Gold Whey or BSN Dessert Lean or BSN Syntha -Six - depending on calorie range needed at time

Suppliments
    GNC Womens Multi - Energy Metabolism (2 per day)
    Vita Cost Liquid Fish Oil Orange Flavor _ 1 tablespoon (4800 mg) - based on my personal need
    Vitacost MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane) -- 1,500 mg, 2 a day (based on my personal needs) - EXCELLENT for hair skin, nails and joints. One study showed improvement in hair growth, less shedding, more thickness after 8 weeks of use. I noticed my hair growth speed doubled, (I have grey roots, so very evident) and shedding cut in half. Skin seems plumper. I have also had less issues with joints related to injuries in past.
    COQ-10 (take for skin)

I also take ON Creatin, Jack 3D, and Scivation Extend as an inter workout drink as needed (I often workout fasted)

CLA , L-Carnitine, Glutamine, never did anything for me personally.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Fish Oil
    Women's Active Multivitamin
    AMP Extreme Protien

considering adding CLA and/or something for energy. I had hair falling out issue, it was 2 things, first not eating enough, then eating a LOT of protien PLUS using products that had protien(keratin) in them. You can have too much protien where hair is concerned and it will become brittle and break off. Talk with doc about hair and assess your protien levels.

This is great. thank you. Did your hair finally stop falling out?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    I'm male but...

multi V
    fish oil
    cissus quad (bad knees)
    casein if low on protein
    Pre workout stuff sometimes
    BCAA's if I train fasted for anti catabolism insurance.
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    Options
    I like the "anti catabolism insurance"
  • medennison123
    medennison123 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Most important: whey protein. You might try creatine, I use Con-Cret, it doesn't have the side effects like creatine monohydrate.

What do you do if protein shakes make you sick? I've tried many different kinds/brands with no success. Is whey protein necessary if I'm hitting appropriate amounts of proteins through foods? I eat a lot of chicken, fish, egg whites. I usually eat 1.5 servings of greek yogurt after lifting because it's 27g of protein.

Protein is protein. The body does not care if it come from a shake or food source. The advantage would be convenience. It takes me 2 seconds to throw a scoop of protein in my shaker with water and down it.

You should be looking into the protein you buy. Some contain fillers and other things that are not healthy for you in excess. Like Muscle Milk contain a good amount of fat. I would stay clear of any whey protein walmart carries. Take a look into your local GNC or Vitamin World. If you do the math the walmart whey will be more expensive than a simple whey protein isolate. The advantage of the isolate is that it is already partially broken down for you. Meaning that it can get to your muscles faster. It is said that after a workout you muscles are most receiving of protein.

I recommend Optimum Nutrition.

i would like the answer to this as well
  • medennison123
    medennison123 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Most important: whey protein. You might try creatine, I use Con-Cret, it doesn't have the side effects like creatine monohydrate.

Side effects? Like water retention? That is a good thing. Your muscles need water and protein to grow. If you have stomach issues with monohydrate you must not be drinking enough water or you are not buying a high grade german creatine. stay away from the Chinese cheep stuff IMO.
  • szyja
    szyja Posts: 42
    Options
    K, here goes:

I take:
    L-Carnitine,
    CLA
    Magnum Heat
    Pro Lean 8 Protein (tastes super awesome!)
    Iron (I am anemic)
    B12 (Also B12 deficient)
    Vitamin D (Double dose as I have MS)
    Calcium (also double dose, as the only way to absorb D is to take it with Calcium according to my neurologist)
    Vitamin C
    Green Tea Extract
    and a hair and nail vitamin from the pharmacy (can't remember the brand name but it is literally called "hair and nail")

I often feel like I could just live off the supplements! By the time I finish taking all these pills I can barely eat my breakfast! LOL
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    If you are hitting your protein without shakes then don't drink em.

Is it no matter what you mix it with? If not, try blending them with fruits and ice and splash of OJ -- you can't even taste it.

If it's no matter what and you are getting your protein from food - drink a glass of chocolate milk after you work out :)

Yup, chocolate milk is another recovery drink I've used except it seems to disappear out of the carton rather quickly :tongue: It's one of my items that I need to use a lot of self control with, lol.

haha i agree -- well dont buy it pre-mixed though :) mix your own. :)
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    Options

Side effects? Like water retention? That is a good thing. Your muscles need water and protein to grow. If you have stomach issues with monohydrate you must not be drinking enough water or you are not buying a high grade german creatine. stay away from the Chinese cheep stuff IMO.

Dude, I don't recall asking for an opinion on my stack.
  • EbbySoo
    EbbySoo Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Best whey at the best price I can find, usually Costco, less than 150 cals per serving low carb and high protein count.

Probiotics
    Ground flax seed
    Fish oil
    B50

Lots of good food, lots of variety of fresh fruits and veggies and lean proteins with nuts, grains and fats. Oh yeah, and Pop Tarts. ;)
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I take a multi vitamin, bcaa caps, fish oil, and a probiotic. I might add in Lcarnatine soon.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I take:
    Whey protein
    Creatine
    BCAAs
    fish oil
    selenium
    C0Q10
    Vit E
    Vit D
    multi-vit
    reservatrol

That seems like a lot, but I am 47, so that makes a difference.
  • Annafly3
    Annafly3 Posts: 63
    Options
    bumping for info